Chapter 23

It's already been almost a week since dad has been hospitalized and he's going home today. I've hired a personal nurse and a therapist for him which he thought was unnecessary but I really like someone to monitor him for stable and faster recovery.

"Are we good to go?" tanong ko sa kanya. He nodded as an answer, he is sitting on a wheelchair and the nurse is pushing it. Our driver carried the bags containing our clothes.

Nang makasakay kami sa sasakyan ay nakita kong tumatawag si Navi. [Nakauwi na ba kayo?] tanong niya.

"Pauwi pa lang."  saad ko. I was massaging my nose bridge to relieve stress somehow.

[Are you free later? Lunch?] I can sense her anticipation of my answer.

"I am planning to be with dad since his personal nurse will be starting tomorrow." sagot ko naman. Isa pa, gusto kong mabantayan si dad dahil kapag bumalik na ako sa trabaho ay hindi ko na magawa. I know that I'm going to be busy after being on leave for a week.

[Ah. Shit.]  utas niya.

"Bakit ba?" tanong ko pabalik.

[I just needed a reason.  Anyways, ingat kayo! Baka pumunta ako mamaya.] nagtaka ako sa sagot niya. Anong reason? Is she trying to escape or in trouble or what?

"O-okay? Ingat ka." nasabi ko na lang dahil malapit na rin kami sa bahay.

Navi always visits us in the hospital, Levi also visits but a day after the other and he only goes there to eat! Ganoon din si Gab pero ang pagbisita ni Lex ay hindi na naulit pero naiintindihan ko naman dahil hindi naman talaga kailangan. He is just our client.

I wasn't able to do field work and inspections for the entire week. Luckily, Gab volunteered to visit some of the sites, including Lex's house and report to me. I am still able to review and read future projects and contracts, reports from department heads.

"Thank you." pasasalamat ko sa mga kasambahay namin. As I've said, I took care of dad and rested a little, I am preparing myself for the incoming weeks. At dahil bukas ay Lunes na, inaasahan ko na ang mas hectic na schedule.

As soon as I went back to work the board called for a meeting. I was already informed about this and I was expecting this since dad won't be working for months to rest and for therapy. I'll be appointed as the interim CEO just for the time that dad will be resting.

I am nervous and at the same time excited to handle a bigger job like this. I was already getting a hold of my job as the Chief Engineer but this is in a whole different level. 

I am glad that my people trust me that's why I will always do my job properly and I want to be the best at it. It's good to strive for greatness as long as you aren't stepping on someone just to advance or win.

"Congrats, Engr. Cervantes." bati ni Mr. Ramos at kinamayan ako.