Bringing Back Memories

I root though my draws finding some sweats and a old t-shirt, I lock myself I the ensuite and look at my dishevelled appearance in the mirror. My makeup has run down my face, my hairs a mass of knots, my eyes starting to swell and bruise. I brush my hair out and tie it in a messy bun ontop of my head. I peel off my red dress and pull on my comfy clothes. I take one big deep breath before I make my way downstairs.

I notice my dad drunk asleep in his lazy boy. I tiptoe around him knowing how easily woken he is. I remember next door slamming a door too loud and me and Mom got the brunt of it.
I had bruised ribs for 6weeks after he backhanded both of us and kicked us while we where down. I made my way to the kitchen and close the door behind me quietly. My Mom is all smiles cooking away while my brother keeps his head down, knowing what he's dragged me into. She fussed around me getting me a drink and sitting me down before she placing the pancakes down in front of me. I started to eat realising how much I miss home cooked food.

"Mom, what did the Dr say?"

"Nothing honey b" she smiles sweetly. I look over to my brother and he just shrugs

"Did they say that you need medication?"

"What for dear? I don't need medication I'm as healthy as a horse" she looks completely convinced of that

"Mom, do you not remember going to the Dr's with Dad?"

"Is your Dad sick?" her eyes widen

"In the head" my brother mumbles under his breath.

"No Mom, it was about you"

"I don't remember honey" she smiles sweetly. I was getting stepford wives vibes and it was creeping me out. "I'm going to put clean sheets on your bed honey b" She wanders out of the kitchen and we hear her going up the stairs.

"I think it's all the blows to the head thats done it"  my brother kept his voice low.

"Im not sure if that's a thing but it definitely won't help" I push the pancakes around the plate infront of me deep in thought. "I need to get her help Tom. You know that right?" he just nods as he mindlessly eats the food.

"I dont know what to do about Dad" he sighs

"He needs help. Or jail. Maybe jail would help him" I ponder

"Jail?! Bells do you not think that's extreme?" he chokes on his mouth full of food

"Had he ever dragged you down the stairs by your hair and punchered your lung before?"

"No" he says sadly

"Well when he does you come back to me and tell me if you feel the same. I don't get how you can turn a blind eye, it's your mother he's hurting" I shake my head

"I don't turn a blind eye Bells , it's not been as bad the past few years with him not drinking. There's spells but nothing as bad as it was" he rubs his face "But since Mom started to get forgetful it's got progressively worse. Then the drs appointment came and he started to drink again, he's been like a whirlwind. That's when I saw you where in town, just when I needed you. I'm overwhelmed Bells. I dont know what to do. I cant deal with all this at once. His alcohol abuse, the beatings he gives mom when I'm out of earshot and now this illness. I'm not equipt to deal with this" a tear falls down his face

"Well I'm here now but you know I can't stay for long. He'll be worse now I'm back. He'll blame me for everything. You need to help me get Mom out of here Tom"

"I know. I'll try" he chews the inside of his cheek.

"No trying only doing Tom. And your coming with me" I put my hand over his

"What? Me I can't" he looks at me in total shock

"Why? What have you got here? Are you telling me you have a life here? Looking after Dad?"

"What about the shop?" I can tell he's afraid to give up on Dad

"If dad doesn't bother it stays shut. Tom don't force yourself to stay for him" I get up and hug him from the side "I have a house, Mom can get some help. I'm sure Austin would love to chew your ear off about guns"

"I'll think about it" he hugs me back

"Well don't think too long, we need to get this ball rolling Tom. The longer I'm here the more chance he will hurt me"

"It's good to see you Isabella. I've missed you" He kisses the top of my head

"I've missed you too TT. Well let's get some rest, we need to figure out how to get Mom out of here" I headed out of the kitchen after washing my dishes and up to my room. I found my Mom sat on my bed looking off into distance through my bedroom windows, like she was in a trance. I shook my head as I remembered that my room had caged windows. I remember my dad saying it was so I couldn't sneak out to have sex with boys. To stop me from being a pregnant teen disney star and so I could continue to make him money. I sat down next to her and she put her hand on my thigh.

"He's not all bad you know. He did it for your safety" like she was reading my mind. I put my hand over hers "I refused to come in while you where gone it brings back too many bad memories. I know why you left honey b, I don't blame you"

"Do you know that you have to leave too Mom? It's not safe anymore" I can't help but let the tears flow

"It's too late for me now dear" she squeezes my hand

"It's never too late Mom. I'm taking you live with me. I want to bring Tom too. Dads too far gone now Mom. It's not safe here"