Getting Out

My Mom left me to my thoughts. I lay in bed after securing my room from my dad, staring at the ceiling and trying to pretend that there wasn't glow in the dark stickers of my face on it. My dad would never touch me inappropriately but he wouldn't think twice of dragging me out of bed and kicking me while I'm down if he had the urge. I had pushed my chest of draws infront of the door, it wouldn't hold him long but it would hold long enough to alert me and I can try and defend myself. That why I started training really. Just incase I was back here. Like an even more fucked up version of the film 'Enough'.

I wondered what was going through Austins head. I didn't give him an explanation. I knew if I told him, he would come flying in and rescue me like the Knight in shining armour he is but I didn't want him to get stuck with my drama, especially when I hadn't even told him about any of this. Maybe he would find me anyway, he's persistent. There was no simple way of letting him know what was happening. He wouldn't buy I didn't have time to speak to him before I left. God, what if he thinks I've been kidnapped? They would have announced to the public wouldn't they? I fell asleep dreaming that he was here with his strong arms around me.

I woke up with a startle, my dad pounding on my door. I pulled myself out of bed and moved my furniture out the way. I cracked the door open and peeked round it. My dad stood there swaying, obviously had a breakfast of beer. He realised that I had opened the door and he tryed to turn to face me, he must of turned too fast because he lost his footing and his balance. He grabbed the doorframe to keep himself upright.

"Breakfast" he barked "You need to move back and look after your mother. It's the least you can do since you abandoned her"

"I didn't abandon anyone I grew up" I crossed my arms over my chest

"Your brother is still here"

"And that's his own fault. He should have left you too" I grit my teeth wanting to say alot more. I push past but he grips my arm.

"I made you and I can break you little girl. Just remember that" he spits

"Who would pay for your booze then" I quip as I pull my arm out of his grip... I jog down to the kitchen where my Mom has already cooked up a storm. We all sit at the table in an uncomfortable silence, my Dad obviously seething from my comments and my mum happily chirping trying to make conversation.

"For fucks sake Debra just cut it out" he slams his fists down on the table. My Mom winces and backs away. "Stop your incessant talking your driving me insane" he jumps up abruptly pushing the table, pinning me and my brother between the wall and him. He strode over to my Mom kicking her chair from underneath her, he grabbed her by the hair and pulled her out of the room. We struggled to get out of our furniture prison but we managed to kick the table over and we ran into the living room after them. He had her on the floor kicking her in the stomach. I dove to cover her getting a couple of kicks to my ribs before my brother managed to pull him away. I cradled her head in my lap stroking her tear stained face. My brother who now stood at least a couple of inches taller than my dad had dad's arms locked behind his back, him shouting at the top of his lung as he struggled to get out of Tom's grip.

"It's time to go cool off Dad" Tom marches him to the door. I hear my dad get in his trunk and drive off.

"We are going today. I don't care what either of you say" I help my mum up and to the couch.

"And do what?" Tom sinks into the seat next to Mom pulling her into a hug

"I don't care we are going. Pack your bags now" I turn on my heel and bound up the stairs. I opened my parents door and couldn't belive the mess and filth he had them living in. There where bottles and cans everywhere. Overflowing ashtrays where sat everywhere. The room smelled stale like someone had locked the room up for years. I pulled a suitcase out of the wardrobe and starting filling it with everything she may need untill I can buy her all new. I pull my phone out of its hiding place and switch it on. Streams of messages and voicemails from mostly Austin came through. I called my management team. "I need a flight somewhere, I don't care where I need to get my Mom out of here. Get me a car now we will be waiting" I turned to see my brother waiting at the door with his case. "I'm glad you've decided to come. I can't do this without you" I pull him in for a hug

"Go grab some stuff quick and let's get out of here before he comes back" I hand him Mom's case and throw some stuff in a bag. By the time I get down the stairs the car is waiting on the sidewalk. We get Mom into the car and manage to get in ourself with no sign of my Dad. Mom is still shaken up from the attack this morning so is just sat in a daze. I pull my hood up and pull Toms cap I'd borrowed down on my face and we made our way quickly to our flight. I hadn't even asked where the flight was headed, I looked at our boarding passes and saw they where to Utah.