✨Prologue✨

Absquatulate:

(v.) To leave without saying goodbye.

A cold breeze swept across the small village of Godric's Hollow on that Halloween night in 1981, it was a quarter past eight and the final trick-or-treaters had just stopped their hunt and returned home as the small family sat down in front of the...

A cold breeze swept across the small village of Godric's Hollow on that Halloween night in 1981, it was a quarter past eight and the final trick-or-treaters had just stopped their hunt and returned home as the small family sat down in front of the fire.

On the crimson sofa sat a young couple chatting mindlessly while looking on at the toddlers playing before them loving.

Curly, ginger hair and a pale, freckled complexion, the woman, Lily, drank her cup of tea - eyes glistening in amusement as she ease-dropped on the children's conversation.

Her be-speckled husband, James, stood running a hand through his ever-messy hair, a mischievous smirk adorned his face.

"Who wants hot chocolate?" he asked. In reply he got two excited squeals from his son and honorary niece.

So there the children sat, squirty cream moustaches and all, giggling at each other.

The girl, Cassie, was only just two years old, her brown hair in pigtails and a permanent smile stretched across her freckled face whereas the boy, Harry, was one and a quarter years old his hair was a replica of his father's but his eyes, oh his eyes were all Lily as green as emeralds glinting in the light as he laughed dimples adorning his rosy cheeks.

Time progressed slowly, but as the night rolled in the mood quickly turned sinister. James looked out of the window, eyes widening in panic as he ran to the door.

"Lily he's here, he's right outside! Take the kids and get out of here, I'll hold him off. I love you!"

Lily quickly grabbed the kids and ran upstairs into the nursery, panicking when she realised both hers and James's wands were in the kitchen.

Piling furniture in front of the door to try and delay him she tried to come up with an escape plan when suddenly she heard the heart-breaking sound downstairs.

"Avada kedavra"

Holding back sobs she turned around to face her terrified children.

"Cassie, I need you to stay sitting in the wardrobe quiet as a mouse until the bad man goes away, okay?" she says as she picks her up out of the crib and puts her in the wardrobe.

"Okay Auntie Lily, I love you."

"I love you too sweetie, I'm going to close this door now, stay safe." Lily says shakily kissing Cassie on the cheek and then closing the door.

She then turns to Harry, picking him up, rocking him gently then kissing his cheek and putting him back in the crib.

"Mummy loves you Harry. And Daddy loves you too. You are so loved my sweet boy, I just need you to be brave a little while longer."

The sound of the door being blasted open silences her. She stands there, eyes filled with determination and paralysing fear.

"Move out of the way girl and I shall spare you." the man hisses.

Lily stays rooted to the spot.

"Have you no self-preservation? You foolish girl, i said move a side."

Aggravated by her disobedience, he losses all self-restraints.

"Fine then. Have it your way, you have left me no choice! I have no idea what Severus see's in a mudblood such as yourself anyways, the man has always had poor taste."

"Avada kedavra."

A blinding green light emits from his wand as he watches her body fall to the ground in disgust.

"So, you must be Mr Potter," he says looking into the crib at the crying toddler.

"I've had a lot of trouble trying to find you. I'd say it's a pleasure to meet you, but you don't seem to think the same. I'll skip the small talk and just get it over with, shall I?

"Avada kedavra!"

An emotion only recognisable as immense horror flashes through Voldemort's eyes as his curse rebound: obliterating him, only leaving behind his wand, a lightning bolt shaped scar and two traumatised children.

[Published: 30/10/20]