~ 1.18 | Long Time No See

Whist:

(v.) To hush or silence; to still; to become silent.

It seemed as if time was on fast-forward from the ball ending to the return to Hogwarts

It seemed as if time was on fast-forward from the ball ending to the return to Hogwarts. Guests gradually left as the hours went on the day after the ball, and soon enough it was only those returning to school still there. 

Sunday morning there was a rush to pack trunks and scour the rooms for lost items ready for their departure at eleven. Those who weren't regulars at the manor seemed to forget about the house elves who were most eager to help out. In fact, Draco and Blaise spent the majority of the morning antagonising others, namely Ron and Harry, about packing until Cassie realised and then promptly ruined their fun by getting assistance from the elves.

Then came the long train ride to Hogwarts, full of bickering, stares, and nerves. Despite Regulus' assurances, they were all anxious about the recent Sirius Black sightings - especially considering how close they were to school and how easily he managed to get in last time. Once aboard, Ginny and Luna went off together, Tracey left to see Millicent, the Twins met with Lee, Neville disappeared with Hannah Abbott and Percy got a compartment with Penelope Clearwater, whereas Cassie, Draco, Blaise, Pansy, Harry, Ron, and Hermione found big compartment to share together - much to the bewilderment of their peers. All in all, the ride was fine, and everyone acted quite amiably, but the relatively calm atmosphere wasn't set to last.

In the time it took for Cassie to walk from the Slytherin dorms to the Gryffindor common room the animosity between the golden trio had grew tenfold and their shouting match could be heard echoing through the halls.

"What did you go running to McGonagall for?" hissed Ron.

"What's going on?" Cassie whispered to Dean as she joined the growing crowd of people observing the fight.

"Harry got a new broom, it was left on his bed. Granger told McGonagall because they don't know who it was from and she took it."

"There wasn't a note or owt, so I reckon she did the right thing," added Seamus.

Cassie nodded and was about to intervene when Hermione snapped out her response.

"Because I thought - and Professor McGonagall agrees with me - that that broom was probably sent to Harry by Sirius Black."

Silence engulfed the room and Ron took a step closer to her.

"Have you ever thought to keep your nose out of other people's business, you bloody know it all," he snarled.

"Ronald Bilius Weasley, you will march your arse out of this room before I drag you out and then we'll find somewhere more private to settle this instead of airing out all your dirty laundry for the whole common room to see." Cassie said in an eerily calm tone of voice.

Ron left the room, his face a violent shade of red, and Hermione took the hint and quickly followed. Movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention and Cassie halted.