CHAPTER #16

"Let's go to Mount Fuji. It should be a nice ride, this time of year," Asuga announced.

"Sure why not, we've never gone," Noriko agreed.

Masaki said thoughtfully, "Hiro and I were going to make that ride, the day we met you two. We never ended up going."

Asuga asked, "Nori do you want to ride through our old neighbourhood?"

"It's the best route there and we don't have to stop. I do miss that noodle shop on the corner. I wonder if that grandmother still runs it. She makes the best Yakisoba noodles," Noriko recalled.

"Are we staying overnight so we can go to the Hot Springs the next day?" Masaki asked.

"Not unless it rains unexpectedly," Noriko declined. "I'd rather just ride."

Hiroto suggested, "it's possible to do it all in a day, even if we stop at the hot springs and eat. We just have to get up early."

The twins smirked and said in unison, "we'll have you up early, don't worry."

Masaki groaned, "can you two stop doing that tandem talking, it's creepy."

**—————**—————**

The plan was set in motion at 5 am the next day. As promised the twins woke the brothers, in a very tension releasing way. Everyone had coffee and then they left, riding their previously decided route by 6am. The twins lead the way, since the plan was to eat at the noodle place in their old neighbourhood, if it was still there. At that time in the morning, there was little traffic and in some sections they rode in a horizontal line of four, with the brothers on the outside of the girls. Other areas they rode in a staggered formation, so they only took up one lane of traffic. Motorcycles get a lot of kilometres or milage on one tank of gas, so no need to stop until reaching their first destination. The road became less urban and that's when they arrived in a small town, where the sisters rode slower. Noriko recognized the area and made a signal with her hand and not just the directional blinker on her motorcycle. They pulled up, backing their motorcycles in. Four rear tires from their respective bikes touched the curb.

"This is the noodle shop!" Asuga said happily.

Noriko looked up and down the street, before following her sister into the shop. The Amamiya Brothers exchanged a look and then followed the twins.

"Grandma you're still here!" Asuga moved to hug the old woman with great affection.

"Asuga and Noriko Chiba? My it's been such a long time. Are you here for Yakisoba?"

"Yes ma'am! No one makes it better than you," Noriko said honestly.

They picked a table and waited for the food to arrive. Hiroto could tell that Noriko was wearing a mask of calm. Her hypersensitivity to any movement outside the shop window, made him think she was waiting for trouble.

The old woman delivered the noodles and side dishes. She patted Noriko's cheek. "When I heard about your father, I was so sorry for you two."

Asuga swallowed and asked, "our father?"

"Maybe you two were not living here anymore. My memory isn't the greatest these days.  Your father was an undercover policeman, who rose through the ranks of the mafia and became an enforcer. He died while undercover, but they didn't have the evidence to charge anyone. He's buried beside your mother at our church."

Asuga was in tears. Noriko's hands were fists, but she politely thanked the grandmother with another hug. "We didn't know. Mom always said he just left us."