CHAPTER 9: Dinner

Chapter 9

SILENCE engulfs the whole kitchen area 'till Sean decided to break it. "Wow." He sarcastically remarked on Yvo who quickly lowered his head due to embarrassment.

'How can I be so careless? Inviting them for dinner when I don't even know how to cook?! Seriously, Yvo?!" He internally thought, wanting to slap himself hard.

"W-well...I-I-m-maybe we can just order. My true-" He suggested but wasn't able to finish when Sean without any words opened up his ref.

"What is in these containers?" Sean scoffed as he open it up without Yvo's permission and started to smell it.

"That's my side dishes. My Mom prepared it for me." The younger replied.

"It's already expired. Why are these still here? Don't you even know how to cook?!" He scolded as he took out the containers and placed them on the table then turned again his head to the ref.

Lareina who was silently watching the two remained silent as she know that she can't stop her best friend when it comes to this kind of situation. She too, experienced being nagged by Sean before when he saw her eating a lot of chips.

"You don't even have a stock. All I can see are beers and containers. Does your Mom know about this?!"

Yvo groaned and rubbed his ears that's starting to get itchy because of the older's nagging voice. His eyes turned sharped."How dare he nagged at me? Does he think he's my Mom?!"

"What are you even eating? No wonder your sma-"

"That's why I said let's order!" Shouted Yvo, who was now losing his patience. One thing he doesn't like is when someone talked about his height especially if that someone is quite taller than him. He's 172 cm for Pete's sake."Can you keep your nagging to yourself?! It's not my fault if I don't know how to cook! Let's orde-"

"I never let Lareina eat unhealthy foods so no one's gonna order. Now, I'm gonna cook." He sternly announced and slowly put the edible ingredients on the table. "Good thing, there's still a slice of fresh pork here in the fridge. Maybe I can fry it or put some veg-Oh there's a cabbage!"

"Just fry it, Sean. Please, No veggies!" Lareina begged.

Sean shakes his head hearing her request. "Aiya! You hate vegetables that much ah. Look at you, you're so thin." He repulsed.

"Hey! I'm not thin, just slim." Lareina defended herself and the latter just stuck out his tongue at her.

"Yeah, Yeah. For me, you're still thin." He retorted as he prepare the pork he'll cook.

"Said that to yourself too, idiot." She murmured in a low voice.

Sean wasn't able to hear her reply as he was too concentrated on what he was doing. Fortunately, the uncooked pork he found is quite a lot, enough for five people. He decided to divide it into halves. He'll fry the first half and make soup for the other half

"Where's your pan and oil?!" He looked at Yvo. "Oh right, I also needed a pot!" He clasped his hand together.

"You're gonna cook? at my place?" Yvo questioned him again.

"Look at me. Do I look like I am kidding?" He asks.

"Just let him be, Yvo. He's strict when it comes to eating and cooking. It's his favorite hobby, no matter what you'll say he won't listen."

"I am dead serious, kid. Now get me the things I asked you to get. Go!" Sean pushed Yvo who remained still not until when the older pushed him.

He glared at the latter but Sean didn't seem to mind. "The pot, faster. It's getting late."

Yvo rolled his eyes as he moved to where the pot and pan were located. "The oil is in the cabinet behind you."
He informed and placed the pot and pan in front of Sean.

"Thanks, now back off. Don't disturb me."

"Yes, Mom." Yvo lazily replied as he sat beside Lareina and waited for their food.

•••

"Let's eat. Go get the utensils." Sean said to the two as he placed the food at the center of the table. Yvo silently obliged since his stomach is now crying in hunger. As much as he doesn't want to admit it, the food Sean cooked smelled delicious that almost made him salivate.

Lareina helped him get the utensils while he holds the plates. And as they hurried back to the table, Sean already positioned himself at the corner beside the chair where Lareina used to sit a while ago.

Sean saw them coming back so he stand up again in his seat. He wants to be the one in-charge in handling the food 'cause knowing Lareina if he just let her get her food, she will only pick up the pieces of fried pork and abandoned the pork soup who have cabbage in it.

He reached his hand to Yvo which confused the younger, "What?" He asks.

"The plates." He said pointing to what he was holding. "Give it to me. You are not planning to hold it the whole time, are you?"

Yvo clicked his tongue but didn't bother to reply. He grumpily handle the three plates to Sean and sat on the chair across them.

"Now you two, as your senior eat what I have given to you." He advised as he place a piece of fried pork mixed with cabbage soup on their plate.

Lareina wince in a grimace. "Why does it have to be cabbage?!"

"Don't blame me. That's the only vegetable in the fridge." He answered and gave Yvo his plate. "Now, let's eat."

He mused then sat on his chair. Minutes later, as Sean and Yvo ate in silence, Lareina kept whining repeatedly like a child. Instead of saying anything, the two boys just let Lareina whine and focused on their food.

For Yvo, it was his first to eat food cooked by someone else other than his big brother and mother. Based on the taste, he could say that it was worth it. Though he hates Sean's grumpy attitude toward him, he admits that he's a great cook.

•••

The Dinner went by and after they ate, the best friends took a 15-minute rest and soon after, Lareina bid farewell to Yvo and thank him for his hospitality. When they were about to leave, Sean spoke to Yvo like a mother who is about to leave, instructing his son alone in the house. "I put the leftover food inside the fridge. It is in the white container, you can easily notice it since it's the only container in the fridge. I already throw out the expired food, so heat it and make sure to eat it tomorrow." He instructed before they finally head out.

It was quarter to nine when Sean came home to his house. The living room was covered in silence, giving him the conclusion that her parents is already asleep. He then slowly tiptoed toward his room and throw his bag on his bed.

Sean then entered a small room connected to his room and sat on the chair in front of the canvas he was working on for the exhibit.

He stretched out his body before taking up the paintbrush and palette in his hand. "Now, time to paint." He persistently said to himself,
not minding his eyes that were begging to sleep.

|R.N|IMVICTPRIQUE

FOLLOW

VOTE

COMMENT

GOD BLESS