In Fiction

Yu Takeyama and Izuku Midoriya were sitting next to each other at the bar, waiting for their table. She already had a drink to sip on, he ordered something light, deciding it was best to be wary while drinking with Yu.

"So how's your vacation?" Yu casually asked, holding up her glass close to her lips, tempting to sip on it.

Maybe it was because they weren't as close as he was to the other women in his life or maybe because he just wanted someone to ask but he was honest.

"I don't know I feel like I'm lost."

She let out an opened mouth chuckle disregarding manners.

"Tell me about it. Life likes to do that, doesn't it? Figuring something out just leads to more problems."

"Yeah, even now that I'm not heroing, the problems are there, they're different but..."

"Yup, the problems are always there." Yu took a gulp, downing her drink. She slammed down the finished glass, letting out a shut-eyed wheeze, and then ordered another drink.

Izuku stared at his reflection in the liquor before he raised it and took a sip, holding it close. "What do you do when you have to confront a part of you, you didn't know was there..?" He mindlessly asked, taking another sip.

Yu stared off, thinking about the question, no that wasn't quite right, "That's a question I've asked myself too many times alone at night. I think everyone asks that at some point." She stared off aimlessly.

"So what do you do?"

"Ask yourself; were you just willfully blind to that side of you... After that, I don't know."

Izuku didn't reply. He internally groaned, hiding it with a sip of his drink. She had a point. He always was aware, he just didn't want to admit it. He gulped more of his drink, using the alcohol to help him acknowledge it.

"You're surprisingly insightful, Yu."

It was a weak laugh, but he couldn't tell if it was aimed at herself or his compliment. "Five shots of vodka and I'll explain the meaning to life."

"Really? Hey, can I get five shots of-,"

"Oh my God, Izuku, I was kidding!" She placed her hand on his shoulder, stopping him while laughing her ass off.

He felt a little embarrassed, scratching his tinted cheek. "Sorry, I thought I had gotten over my gullibility, guess not."

"Aww, it's cute though. It's a part of your cinnamon bun charm."

"Yeah, that's true, Makoto says it helps the brand. You know, Yu, I didn't think you'd be so, um, down to earth."

"That's fair. I guess I do embellish who I am when I'm heroing. To be honest I'd rather be lazying about, eating snacks, watching something stupid."

"That sounds nothing like the person Mirko always described to me." He laughed at how silly it was that he believed all of Rumi's exaggerations. He ignored the thought that she probably only did that because she didn't want him to get close to Yu.

"Pshhh! Don't get me started on that overprotective rabbit." She smiled fondly but there was a hint of sadness. "Although, I get it."

He didn't say anything, he simply thought how different things could have been if he had chosen her agency, instead. 'It would have just been her, Uraraka and Yui...' And for some reason that felt right. Not the convoluted mess he created for himself.

"Well I guess tonight, you don't have to worry about Mirko."

"No, I guess I don't." She shook her head but chuckled. "But it lost its value, this is simply a fabrication after all."

Izuku, for the first time, really looked at her. And her expression said it all to him because it was the same thing he was looking for, something real.

The waiter walked up to them. "Pardon but your table is ready." 

"Thanks but actually we're leaving." He informed.

Her eyes widened, turning to him. "Huh? Izuku?"

"Maybe we can regain some of that value. Tonight, we can pretend this is real if you want."

She was taken aback by this before her lips lifted and she nodded.

"C'mon." Taking her hand and they left the restaurant. The media took as many pictures as they could of them holding hands as they made their way out.

"Where are we going?"

"To do exactly what you want. We're gonna be lazy, eat snacks, and watch something dumb."

She giggled. "Sounds great." Squeezing his hand as she followed along.

They made a pit stop so they could buy snacks. As they got to his place, they were finally left alone by the media, able to be themselves. He unlocked his door and they stepped inside.

She went to go sit on the couch. She patted it. "It was actually a really comfortable nap, I slept a few more hours after you left." Referring to the day after the concert.

Izuku had got a pair of beers out of the fridge and sat beside her, handing her one. After cracking them open he turned on the TV. "Feel free to crash here if you want." He chuckled as they looked for something to watch.

"I might have to take you up on that offer." Taking a chug of her beer.

He put on some YouTube clips of fail compilations, laughing at people getting recked.  They even joked that since they were heroes it was a guilty pleasure to see people hurt themselves for being dumb.

The clips were on autoplay so they didn't have to do anything, only sit there and watch as if it was the setting sun. Yu leaned on his shoulder, tucking her legs to the side, on the couch, enjoying the view with him.

"This is perfect..." She absently whispered, rubbing her head against his arm in a cuddling gesture.

"Yeah, it is..." He replied, wholeheartedly believing her.

Because tonight it was real to them. They didn't make out like hormonal teenagers or make love like a newly-wed couple. Because, to them, tonight they did what they thought any boyfriend or girlfriend would do; Be there for each other.

Izuku reflected on this as the videos rolled on. He was finally pulled out of thoughts when he heard faint snoring.

He was careful not to wake her up, lifting her bridal style, carrying her to his room.

Gently, he laid her on his bed, covering her with his blanket. She let out a comfy sigh hugging the blanket closer. "Night, Izuku." She muttered, barely awake.

"Night." He whispered back, leaving.

He was laying on the couch, getting ready for bed, somewhat proud of himself. He honestly thought he and Yu were going to sleep together and that had terrified him. He rolled over on the couch.

"But it was nice," He yawned, slowly heading to dreamland. "Spending time together for no other reason than that."

He could have never figured a night with Yu would be so tame and peaceful. A breather he had needed.

"She is right, this couch is comfy."