24

I run into the library immediately receiving a dirty look from Madame Pince, I shoot her a sorry smile and approach the table I can see Cedric leaning over, his back to me.

"Hey," I let out, dropping into a seat next to him.

"Hey you, I was beginning to think you weren't gonna come," he mumbles, eyes glued to the page of his book.

"Sorry," I let out, he clearly hears my sad tone and looks up quickly, eyes widening at the sight of me, my eyes red and puffy from crying.

"Oh Em," he lets out, pushing his book away and wrapping his arms around me "you're okay," he whispers stroking my back gently a pressing a kiss to the top of my head "what's happened?" He asks gently

"Cedric, I need you to know I had no idea and I'm really truly sorry," I whisper. He sighs pulling me impossibly closer

"Whatever's happened I'm not going to be mad," he assures. I can't help the shaky breath that escapes me as I pull out of his arms. I need to be able to see his face, to read his reaction. His brows furrow in concern which eases slightly when I grab his hand, unable to stop myself from reaching out.

"I'm half Veela. I have Veela powers and I have probably been accidentally using them over you," I admit, the explanation only seems to further confuse him as he blinks.

"What?"

"My mum, she's a Veela. I never knew so I never learnt how to control the Veela magic, I probably used them to make you fall in love with me. Everything you feel for me is fake,"

"Em, sweetheart, nothing I feel about you is fake. I don't question any of it, I refuse to question any of it,"

"No. Cedric. This isn't a question it's a fact. We need to break up because everything you think you feel for me isn't real," I explain, tears are leaking from my eyes and I can't help but pull away.

"You don't get to tell me how I feel Emily. I know what is real and I know what's fake and I know how it feels to be in love. I know you're the only thing I care about. I know I can't do this without you. I don't care if you think I don't love you. I will continue to love you until you believe me," he protests. His hands cupping my face and staring into my eyes

"No. No I can't. I'm sorry, this is the last thing I ever wanted to do. I just- i can't be with you,"

"This isn't fair!" Cedric voice is getting gradually louder

"I don't want this either but it's what's right,"

"No! No you're scared. You close yourself off when people care about you! You don't let anyone in. Anytime it starts to get real you pull away. You build up your walls so fucking high that no one has a chance. What are you so scared of? That I'm going leave? That I'm going to hurt you? How will you ever live your life if you run away when ever it gets real?"

"I love you Cedric and that's why I can't let you stay with me. I have to let you go cause it's not fair on you," I state. Pulling myself from his grip I exit the library and walk in the direction of uncle Rem's office, in need of a comforting hug and some chocolate. Cedric doesn't come after me.

**

I don't see him for two weeks. I don't leave my room, the twins try and pull me out of bed but eventually give up, instead taking it in turns to sit with me and try to comfort me. Minnie comes to check on me and gets me out of class for mental health reasons. Angelina brings me food every meal time.

After two weeks Minnie returns and tells me that I have to go back to class and she can no longer permit time off. So on the Monday morning I allow Angelina to pull me into the great hall.

It's immediate. Eyes on me. People have been talking, after all nothing stays private at Hogwarts. None of them matter though. I'm only searching the crowd for him.

He's watching already but he doesn't look as horrible and upset as I'm aware I do. Instead he's chatting quite casually with his friends, barely sparing me a glance.

"Come on," Katie prompts, grabbing my hand and yanking me down into the seat next to her.

"He seems good. That's good. I want him to be good," I speak, aware my friends are eyeing me with concern

"He was a mess at first," Fred comforts, like he thinks my heart would break less knowing he was at least some what effected by the break up.

"I'm fine. It's a good thing. It means I was right,"

"What?" Alice asks seemingly confused

"It was all just a trance. It wasn't real," I state. Before grabbing a slice of toast. "I'm sick of everyone staring. I'm going to potions, I'll meet you later," I announce, grabbing my bag and exiting the hall.

***

The hour that follows is awkward. Cedric seems completely unphased as he works next to me. His hand occasionally brushing mine as we work over the cauldron and an easy confidence radiates off him. The lesson draws to an end before he's even given me a second glance.

"Emily, meet me later. Our spot," he states as the class room empties. He doesn't seem upset or angry, just neutral.

"Ced, I really don't think it's a good idea," I can't even bring myself to look at him. It feels like I can't breathe. It physically hurts to be in his presence. I truly love him and it hurts to not be able to reach out and hold him.

"I hate to play this card but I really think you owe me it," he smirks

"Cedric-"

"No. We have a free period four. I'll see you there," he states before slipping out of the room leaving me staring after him.