To my sunflower

"I'm sorry."

Real smooth, self. Real smooth.

But really. What do you say when you break someone's heart?

Someone you never even know but expresses their feelings for you?

Because this scenario has been on constant repeat as soon as he entered high school. And now that he's a senior in college, he'd lost count on how many times he said the word "I'm sorry" to some random stranger who were brave enough to confess to him.

But the ending has always been the same.

"Is there someone else? Do you have a girlfriend?" the girl whose face he's sure he's never seen before asked after the embarassing silence.

"Err, no. I don't have one," he answered honestly.

The girl's eyes went wide. "A.. boyfriend?" she whispered conspiratorially.

He laughed despite himself. "No. I'm afraid I don't have one either."

Although some (like a lot) of his admirers were really males. But she doesn't need to know that.

The girl gave him a cheeky smile. "That's alright too, you know. Well it's nice finally talking to you P'Mew. I can still like you from afar, right?"

Conclusion: He'll never understand the female specie.

"That's completely up to you."

"Then I will continue to support you."

She left after making that statement.

That was actually better than he expected. Atleast there were no tears shed. Or blood. Honestly, it happened before.

And then he almost jumped when he heard a sneeze.

Strange. The rooftop is usually deserted most of the time. He looked around and saw no one.

A ghost?

Another sneeze.

Do ghost sneeze?

He was seriously close to panicking when someone finally came out of his hiding place carrying a shy, apologetic smile.

"So sorry, phi. I didn't mean to eavesdrop but I was napping when you came and.. well.."

Mew has never seen ears so pink.

Adorable. Wait, what?

Is he hearing voices or did he just call Gulf Kanawut Traipipattanapong adorable?

In this university, if there's someone who'd equal to Mew Suppasit Jongcheveevat's popularity, it would be this 185 cm freshman also known as the prince of football.

And they couldn't be more different. Mew is an open book and a social butterfly. Gulf is taciturn and an introvert. This is actually the first time they had the opportunity to interact.

And it was purely.. awkward.

"No, no. I'm sorry for disturbing your rest."

Another silence. Trying to salvage the situation, Mew introduced himself first to the shy freshman who spoke in the most soft, gentle voice.

Cute. Damn it, not again!

Mentally cursing, he noticed something in Gulf's hand, and Gulf noticed him noticing.

"Do you read mangas, phi?" nong asked handing him the paperback.

He studied the cover, unable to keep the smile off his face. "I know this! I used to read this in high school. But I've been so busy that I haven't seen the updates in years."