Friend

A/N: THIS STORY HAS REACHED 2.02k OMG.  Thank you so much!! Btw the picture on top is one I drew on my laptop. I have never done actual fanart so... My brother said it was toooo feminine and I couldn't draw the body. I did my best people.

"I won't let you go y/n, over my dead body." Ren paced around me, circling like a shark. Mizumi laid on the sofa, too tired and heavy to walk anywhere. I am still grasping on the fact that in a matter of months I'll be like that, right now my 6 week abdomen just looked like I ate a few too many burrito's.

"Too bad, I have to work! It's only patrolling low crime areas, Ren. I can't be a leech and stay here my whole life. I. Need. To. Work." I stood up, a coat on top of my hero suit. I appreciate him being protective of me but I think he often forgets I'm an adult.

"You dont have to work while pregnant. You could tell chicken brain and he could do his part  for the next 7 months." He crosses his arms, his incredibly tall frame towering over mine.

"You could work with your mother instead?" Mizumi head is turned, for a moment I forgot she was in the room.  I hope you are reading this Mizumi but I'm considering killing you right now. She smirked, knowing how intense my mom was she couldn't help but find my condemnation funny. She doesn't hate me but I have learned over the years that my sister in law is a bit of a sadist.

"Yes!"

"No." I glared at Ren who went and kissed his wife's forehead. What I said about being a leech was true, I didn't want to be a burden or disrupt their marriage but partly it is because I can't help but feel jealous when I see them being all lovey dovey with each other. It is wrong, I know I sound selfish but I can't help but feel that way.

"You are working at mom's as her secretary, ok?" They both turned to me, I sighed. They were right, even if patrolling was probably going to be physically demanding and  it may be too much stress. Though I don't know how working for my mother could be less stressful.
"Ok."

Two weeks time skip

"Y/N You need to respond to the calls with a smile I don't care if they cant see you!" My voice was annoyingly high pitch as I made a mocking immitation of my mother. Naoki laughed and ordered another (favorite flavor) ice cream for me.

"Did she really say that?" He sighed his spoon into my ice cream, I narrowed my eyes at him, he just smiled.
"What? It is on me anyways!"

"I hope you don't plan on dipping your germs back into my ice cream." He rolled his eyes, he was about to say something when we heard my phone ding. I huffed, reading the notification.

"What's up?"

"Oh, it's nothing." I sipped the melted part of the ice cream from the cup, trying to hide my hurt expression from him. I didn't want him to pity me.

"C'mon, seriously." I grunted, he was not going to let this go so I gave in.

"Stupid rumors, people are trying to guess why I have disappeared from the public eye lately." We stood up and Naoki payed, he looked a embarrassed when the cashier flirted with him. It was kind of adorable how he seemed so clueless when this kind of thing happened, he almost childishly hid behind me most times.

"Hey!" My hand felt empty and I realized he had grabbed hold of my phone.

"This is bullshit." He turned the device off and kept walking with me back home. Out of all the heartbreak and frustration I had gone through, Naoki was the one good thing I got out of it. He was a great friend, almost like a little brother to me, for being older he sure was childish.

A loud thud interrupted our walk, I flinched as a pigeon fell like an arrow down into the pavement. It looked helpless, a broken wing bleeding out, the crimson ooze staining the ground. I leaned a little closer, trying to see if it still held any life in their eyes. A knot formed in the pit of my stomach, acid rising through my throat threatening to spill. A bone poked out of the open wing, I started to feel lightheaded at the gruesome sight.

"Naoki, do you think we Can do something for it?" I turned to Naoki, who's eyes held a joyful glimmer as he seemed to study the bleeding animal. He had stopped listening to me, he liked his upturned lips, his purple eyes never leaving the horrid picture.

"Naoki, it's dead, let's go." He stretched his hand towards the creature before I took it in my own and pulled him away from it.

A few hours later

??? POV

"So, how did it go?" A shadow casted over them as they spoke. Hidden in the darkness of the dead end alley, I could barely distinguish their silhouette.

"I had a lot of fun, you won't guess what happened today!" I skipped towards them with arms wide, I could barely contain myself, even if I knew they would probably shove me aside I had to hug someone. They moved to the side, causing me to trip with a trash can, barely regaining my balance. I should have expected that, but what can I say? I am too happy to be rational.

"You had a mission, not a little social event." I pouted, my lip quivering as the words hit me. This was all temporary. My happiness would fade as soon as this mission was over. I sighed, dropping my arms to my sides defeated. I shook my head, happiness was something rare for someone like me. I should savor it, even if it was ephemeral. Besides, I could make it last, it wasn't that hard really. It was in the nature of the mission itself.
"But I like this mission, so it feels like fun!"

"Just tell me how it went, any new information, any tiny detail could be important." His voice held its usual monotone but their face showed some interest it usually didn't have on other cases. From the time I've known them, they always had a cool demeanor, as if not caring about things. I had only seen them invested on a subject a few scattered times.

"Why are you so into this mission? It was only assigned to me so I don't have to tell you anything." I giggled frantically at their annoyed grunt.

"Doesn't matter, go back. You haven't completed your role yet." He turned around, walking past me out to the street, I waited a few minutes before following him out. I took a piece of shattered mirror glass from my pocket, smiling as the harsh edges sighed into my fingers. It tickled my skin, it was a very pleasant feeling. I stared at the reflection for a few seconds.

"Oh shoot! I guess I have to pay him another visit."