Chapter 1: Coffee and Detective

ONE 

"No coffee, no detective"

What do you often expect on the brink of morning and night?   A person never actually expects something at four o'clock in the morning except waking up in need to go to the bathroom

What do you often expect on the brink of morning and night? A person never actually expects something at four o'clock in the morning except waking up in need to go to the bathroom. That in this case is also Locke's situation.

From his bed he stands up and heads out of his room. He leaves the lights off as he paces down the hallway to the living room. Though, the darkness is only like a blanket to his drowsy self, but something more seems to scratch his unnerved spines. He passes by the living room and the kitchen and heads to the bathroom.

He goes out after a few minutes until then he's greeted by a spotlight at the kitchen and a ragged woman sitting on a high chair. It took a few seconds for his brain to comprehend.

"Shit!" Locke jumps from where he is standing. He blinks and looks at the woman covered with a blanket.

"Wha...what the- Oli? What the heck?" The woman who is apparently Oli lifts her pale face to Locke.

"Lockie...we're out of instant coffee." Oli's eyes are twitching and her hands gripping tight on the blanket.

"Have you been staying there all this time?" Locke answered.

"I think? Thirty minutes or so, but Lockie that's not what matters now. My sweet cold ice coffee is out of stock. I need coffee. I...need...coffee." Locke sighs from his roommates dramatic antics.

"Go to bed and you'll forget about it." He looks out to the direction of the balcony. Probably his continuous conversation with Oli just made him wide awake. So an early fresh air would indeed be nice.

Locke heads out to the balcony. "No...I can't sleep with the thought that the refrigerator doesn't bear me my favourite iced coffee drink."

"I shouldn't have let you taste that coffee last week." Locke whispered to himself. He takes a breather letting that sleepiness sink in and maybe go back to sleep again. Though, that would not be anymore the case the moment his phone rang.

He heads back in and to his room getting his phone. Not even bothering whom it may be, he answers the phone. .

"Hello?"

"Thank goodness you answered," Lillian answered.

"What are you talking about?"

"I've been texting you for thirty minutes now. You have a case. A murder case. You two are needed. I already asked Calvin to get the two of you," Lillian then hangs up.

A bit too fast to process early in the morning. He ruffles his hair as he turns his head toward his bed. It is a good time to sleep, but a bad time if you have a case in hand.