12-Suspicious

*leahs pov*

"I don't know, maybe they just think we're actually listing." I shrug and Jennifer nods. "I never liked school anyways." She shakes her head. "Same, it was too confusing for me. I got distracted too easily." I say. We continue to talk for a little then I start to make dinner. "What're you doing this weekend?" She asks and scrolls through her phone. "Oh- about that. I actually wanted to ask you something." I say and she looks up at me, tilting her head.

"And what's that?" She raises one brow. "My mom wants me to spend the weekend with her, and I already said yes, even though I wanted to be with you. So why don't you come with me??" I ask and she raises her brows. "To your parents house?" She asks and I nod my head yes. "I don't think that's a good idea." She shakes her head. "Why not? I promise it wouldn't be awkward. My mom would love to meet you." I tilt my head.

"Well I'm not sure if the feeling is mutual..." She says. "What do you mean?" I ask. "I can't meet your family Leah. I'm not ready for that." She says. "It's not like you're my fiancé and I'm bringing you home to meet my family. I just want you to be with me. So I won't be too miserable." I say. "I don't wanna just barge in your families house and stay there. It's kind of weird to bring a friend to stay at your parents house. It would be different if we were like in middle schools and we wanted to have a 'sleepover'. And maybe if I already knew your family." She says.

"You're so dramatic. What's the worst that could happen?" I ask. "Uh- they don't like me." She says with attitude. "How could they not? You're perfect." I shrug and she can't help but smile. "No Leah..." She shakes her head. "Fine. I tried." I shrug and roll my eyes. It makes me upset that she doesn't even want to consider it.

"Look, I'm sorry baby. I'll make it up to you." She says with sympathy. I turn around towards the stove and continue to cook. "It's fine. You don't have to." I sigh. "But I want to..." She says softly as her voice gets closer. I feel her arms go around my stomach as she rests her chin on my shoulder. "Get away from me." I giggle and I feel her smile.

"It smells good." She says referring to the food. "I know." I say confidently. "Don't be a bitch, take my compliment." She says and kisses my neck. I just roll my eyes and continue to mind my business.

We get interrupted when my phone starts to ring. I push her off and grab my phone off the counter. "Hello?" I say since it was an unknown number.

Jennifer watches me as she stirring the food now. I listen to what the person was saying, and I immediately got put in a good mood. I thank them and hang up. "What was that?" She asks as I put my phone down. "I got the job." I say and flip my hair all boujee like. "Really??" She asks. "Mhm. I start next week." I smile and hold my arms out as she comes in for a hug. "I'm proud of you...this is a small step for better things." She says softly as she strokes my hair.

"Come and visit me at work sometimes, yeah?" I say. "Of course, I'll try." She says as we're still hugging. "I should text my mom and let her know." I say and we pull away from eachother.

I text my mom, and she couldn't be happier. I go back to the kitchen where Jen has now taken over dinner. "Was she happy?" She asks. "Duh." I nod and sit at the stools. I sigh since I'm still kind of disappointed that Jen won't come with me this weekend.

She smiles at me but I just keep my annoyed face on. "What-?" She asks and puts the spoon down. "Nothing." I shrug and trace the pattern of the counter with my finger. "Oh m- you still want me to come?" She tilts her head. I nod my head yes and she comes over to me. "I'm sorry...I can't really explain anything, but I just can't go. Don't be mad at me. I'm here with you right now, aren't I?" She says trying to make me feel better, but it just makes me confused.

She goes back to the stove, and I raise one brow. Why is it such a big deal that she can't come? I get she could be nervous, but the way she just said all of that....made it sound like there's a bigger reason. She's just been kind of suspicious since I got my new prescription, she's been pretty mysterious since I first met her. But she doesn't seem as content as she did in the beginning.

Maybe I'm overthinking like I tend to do. And I can't let myself get back in the state of mind I used to be in. I wouldn't survive going through that again. That's why I need Jennifer, I need her to be in my life right now. She's making me better, and I can't ruin that just because I'm paranoid and overthinking.

It's pretty late now, and we are dinner about an hour ago. "Shit, lemme go grab my pills." I say and stand up off the couch. Jennifer's facial expression kind of changes, but I pay it no mind. "They make me pretty sleepy by the way, so sorry if I fall asleep on you." I say as I walk over to the staircase. "Yeah- actually I should probably get going anyways." She says and stands up. "Oh...are you sure?" I ask and stop walking. "Yeah. I'll probably see you on monday. Have fun at your parents." She says and grabs her bag.

"Bye.." I say before she walks out and shuts the door. Something is definitely up. She got so skittish when I went to go upstairs. And then just walking out of here like that. What's her problem? Plus she didn't even give me kiss...or even a hug.

A/N

Ok so I realized that this book is gonna be shorter than I thought. Or at least shorter than my other books. I'm just really eager to get to the point, then it's all downhill from there🥴 It's goin be pretty chill for me to right after that. But I'm really tryna get to the climax. So just wait for me hoes🖐🏼🤪😘 (but yall fr gonna be mad at me for this book)