Chapter 23

I went back to eating since I hadn't touched my food yet. I didn't have to worry about Clay anymore so I slowly took bites of the scrambled eggs, eventually finishing it. I cleaned my plate off and put it into the dishwasher before walking upstairs. I slowly opened the door and walked into the room. The blinds were closed making it darker in the room, and Clay was laying on the bed without a shirt on, his left arm laying across his stomach.

"Hey George."

"Hey Clay, how are you feeling?" I walked over to the opposite side of the bed and crawled to his side. He wrapped his right arm around my shoulder as I put my head on his chest. I felt his heartbeat against the side of my head.

"Head hurts like a bitch, ribs hurt like a bitch, shoulder hurts like a bitch. Other then that i'm fine." He smiled down at me, making me look up and lean forward.

We placed our lips together softly for a few seconds before pulling away. Clay's hand made circles on my back as we laid together in the darkness of the room. It was almost comforting having silence and darkness around me, with Clay to my side.

We must have fallen asleep because we both seemed to be just waking up when we heard the knock on the door.

"Clay you have a guest. Are you decent?" I heard Clay's mom say from the other side of the door. I sat up and looked over at the clock to see it had been noon.

"Yea i'm good mom." Clay responded back, rubbing his right eye with his hand.

I got up and sat in his gaming chair as the door opened to reveal Clay's mom and a boy who looked familiar.

"Oh hey Enzo." Clay said to the boy. Clay's mom walked down the stairs and shut the door behind her.

My heart dropped as I suddenly recognized who he was. He was the kid with James when he told me not to go the game. He was here for Clay but did he know I lived here too? I tried hiding my face as he looked over at me.

"Hey Clay. Oh hey, George right?"

I nodded slightly as I hid in my sweatshirt more and more.

"How was the rest of the game yesterday?" Clay asked as Enzo sat on the edge of the bed. He shook his head and frowned, meaning they probably lost.

"We needed you man, can't believe that dude hit you after the play was over. He's definitely suspended for the rest of the season though which is good."

They both continued to talk about football and how Clay was feeling for a while. I just sat in the chair and listened, not knowing what to do. After a while however, they shifted the conversation to me.

"So, George, I just want to apologize for the lunch table incident. I was dragged over there by James even though I didn't want to have a part in it." He looked at me, his big green eyes staring directly at me. This was the first time I was able to get a good look at him. He had curly blonde hair that fell over his right eye.

His facial expression looked genuinely sympathetic and his apology seemed real.

"It's ok man." I said back. He smiled at me and stuck out his fist for a fist bump. I tapped my knuckles to his, the coldness of his hand surprising me.

"So are you visiting too? I just figured I'd come over here to see how Clay was doing."

I looked past Enzo to Clay, who opened his mouth to speak, so I let him talk instead of answering.

"He lives here." Clay said, making eye contact with me. I wasn't sure if he wanted to tell people about us being together, but I assumed not considering he didn't mention it.