Chapter 26

I rode up a hill, my legs burning from pedaling. My cheeks red from the cold wind hitting my face. I sniffed as I felt a runny nose starting. My red fingers gripped tightly on the rubber handles. I stopped outside of a white house and put my feet on the ground next to me to stop the bike from tipping. I pulled out my phone and read the address again to make sure it was correct. I took a deep breath and wheeled the bike onto the lawn, dropping it on the side of the driveway. My finger hesitated before pressing the doorbell. A cheerful chime rang throughout the house, footsteps could be heard running through the hallway and up to the front door.

"Hey George." AJ said as the door cracked open, revealing AJ wearing black glasses. He must have had contacts since I couldn't remember him ever wearing glasses at school.

"Hey."

AJ stepped aside and let me into the house. I stepped past him and looked around me. It was nicely decorated.

"We can go up to my room if you want. Nobody is home yet."

I nodded and followed him up the stairs. He opened up a door to our left to reveal a deep blue bedroom with a large map of the United States on one of the walls. Posters of different shows and movies filled up the empty wall space. I noticed a Harry Potter poster above his bed.

"You like Harry Potter too?" He smiled and nodded, following my gaze towards the poster.

"What house are you?" He asked.

"Ravenclaw."

"Makes sense. I'm a Hufflepuff."

He sat down in his black desk chair. The desk contained a laptop and many different figurines scattered around. I slipped off my shoes and fell into a blue beanbag next to his bed.

"So, what do you wanna do?"

I shrugged as he looked around the room to get an idea. His eyes stopped on the tv stood on his dresser.

"Movie?"

"Sure." I responded.

I shifted my beanbag to be facing the tv. AJ grabbed the remote and turned the tv on. He grabbed a bean bag from the corner of the room and placed it down next to mine. He fell into it and scrolled through the different movies on the screen.

"Are horror movies alright?" He asked, looking over to me.

"Yea I don't care."

He selected the movie Sinister which I had never seen before. We sat and watched, AJ laughing at me whenever I got scared. It didn't help that the movie had been full of jump scares. After the movie ended, AJ stood up and turned off the tv. He stretched his arms above his head, lifting up his sweatshirt slightly.

"You down for a walk? There's hiking trails not far from here and there's a nice waterfall."

"Yea that seems like fun." I grabbed my shoes and slipped them on. AJ pulled a black beanie down over his hair.

"Do you need a hoodie? You're gonna get cold."

I nodded as I realized how unprepared I was to go outside, wearing a thin long sleeve shirt. AJ opened his closet door and pulled out a pastel pink hoodie with one blue sleeve and one green. I pulled it down over my head and followed him out of the room and down the stairs. He opened the front door and let the cool breeze hit. I walked down the small stairs and followed him onto the street.

"So, how have you been lately?" He asked me. I turned to him to see his cheeks had been red from the chilled air.

"I've been good."