Chapter 31

"You don't have to decide now, but i'm just telling you, you have to choose."

I tilted my head back to look up at the sky. The moon had been above me, slightly lighting up my face. My nose was red from the cold air, along with my ears. I took deep breaths in attempt to calm myself down.

"I need to go, Clay." I looked over at him. He nodded as he wiped a tear from his cheek. I climbed back in through the window and started to walk out his bedroom door.

"George," Clay said quickly, "Before you go, just know that I'm really sorry still. I'll never hurt you again."

I didn't turn around to face him as I mumbled, "then why'd you promise that you wouldn't hurt me in the first place."

I shut his bedroom door behind me as I quickly made my way out the front door and towards AJ's. Different emotions ran through my head as I walked. I was still hurt by what he did, but part of me wanted him back. But AJ on the other hand, was there for me, and seems like a genuinely caring guy. I shook the thoughts away as I walked through the darkness alone.

I quietly opened the front door, closing and locking it behind me. AJ had still been asleep, so I took my shoes off and laid down on the trendele bed. I put my arms behind my head as I stared at the ceiling. Tears filled my eyes once again as I thought about having to choose between the two boys.

Time ticked by slowly, as I laid restless on the bed. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, so I took it out to see it had been 3 am, and Clay was texting me.

Clay:
I know that I promised I wouldn't hurt you, and I broke that. I'm sorry George. Whatever you choose to do, just know that I love you. If you decide not to choose anyone, and you want to be alone, at least come home. We can be alone together.

Me:
I don't want to be alone.

Clay:
I know you're hurting, and i'm hurting too. I fucked up badly, but it's hurts that AJ can be there for you when I can't.

I shut my phone off and turned my attention back to the ceiling. I looked over towards AJ, who was sleeping peacefully. He had a slight smile on his face as his chest rose and fell with his steady breath.

I laid facing the ceiling throughout the whole night, not sleeping at all. AJ's alarm beeped loudly, startling me. I shook out of my trance as he stuck his hand out and shut the alarm off, groaning as he sat up.

"Good morning George." He said as he stretched his arms above his messy hair. He yawned loudly as I said good morning back.

I stood up slowly and threw on an outfit, AJ doing the same. I took my phone off the charger and checked to see that Clay had left me multiple messages and calls from last night. I shook my head and put my phone into my pocket as I picked up my backpack and followed AJ out of his room and into the garage.

Clay hadn't been at the table yet as we sat down. Nick was frantically trying to do his homework that was due, while Enzo helped him. I sat quietly, staring down at my hands in my lap.

I then lifted my head to see Clay walking into the cafeteria. Instead of running, I stayed put in my seat. Enzo also seemed to notice Clay walking in. He looked up from Nicks paper to look at me before looking back down. Clay sat across from me, next to AJ. He made eye contact with briefly before talking to Enzo.

The warning bell then went off, so we all stood to walk to our next class. AJ said goodbye to me before turning the corner. I felt Clay's eyes on me as we walked, but I didn't look over to him.

                        —————————-

The day dragged as Clay and I made our way through classes. We made eye contact more than I had wanted, yet we didn't speak a word to each other. I wanted to talk to him, but I got too scared. I continued the day without speaking to him.