Chapter 30

I gripped the blade harder in my palm. I felt the sting as it cut deeper into my fingers. I opened my palm and looked at the blood on my fingers. I threw the blade into the water and walked out of the woods. My hand closed into a fist to prevent the blood from running down my arm.

Clay's street was quiet. No cars driving by, only the faint chirp of the crickets echoed through the air. Clay's house appeared in the distance. The yellow light spilled out onto the sidewalk and front porch, a figure sat on the steps. I slowly made my way closer to realize it was Clay. His head was in his hands as he leaned his elbows on his knees. I slowly walked into the light of the street lamp. Clay looked up and gave a slight smile. I kept a straight face as I walked over to him and sat beside him on the stair.

"Thank you for actually coming." He looked over at me, his eyes were still red. I hummed in approval as I looked back out onto the street. I felt his gaze on me but I continued to look straight ahead.

"First of all, you shouldn't be mad at Nick. I asked him to have you over because I knew you wouldn't want to be here with... you know." He spoke softly and fiddled with his fingers.

"Thank you for being considerate and not making me stay in the house while you fucked your ex, Clay."

I continued to look straight ahead as his eyes shot towards me. I could tell he was upset at that comment, which made it even more enjoyable to me.

"We did not fuck George, what the hell."

"Sure seemed like it." I leaned back and rested against the stair behind me. Clay looked back and made eye contact with me, his facial expression desperate for me to listen. I gave nothing but a smirk.

"Listen George. She came over so we could just talk about life and stuff,"

I cut him off, "I didn't know your lips had to be that close to talk about life."

"George would you please just let me finish." I could tell he was starting to get angry, making my smirk crawl back onto my face.

"Go on."

"So as I was saying, she came over just to talk. She then kinda just leaned over and kissed me. I know I fucked up George. My mind was in a bad place that day and I guess I just went along with it. I'm so sorry George. I really do love you and I want you to be mine."

I felt my heart shatter. He actually just went along with it? And let his ex climb on top of him? I felt betrayed, hurt, and angry.

"What do you mean your head was in a bad place? You seemed fine the day before."

"I guess I was just...um"

"Just what, Clay. Spit it out."

"I guess I was just... j-jealous I guess."

"Jealous of what Clay?"

"You and AJ."

"Ok so when you're jealous of a new friend that I made, who helped me when you couldn't be there, you just let your ex start making out with you and you kiss back. All because I made a new friend."

That's when his tears started to fall. He let his head fall into his hands. His sobs became louder. I stood up and walked onto the sidewalk. I stood in front of him, making him look up.

"I'm so sorry, George. I love you." His voice broke as he spoke.

"If you would like to know, I kissed AJ yesterday. Now you have something to be actually jealous about."

And just like that, I turned and walked back towards the direction of AJ's. His eyes were still on me as I walked out of his neighborhood. I had left him speechless. Part of me wanted to curl up into a ball and cry over the fact that he betrayed me, yet the other part of me felt accomplished that I didn't just fall to my knees and forgive him. I actually stood up for myself. I gained a new confidence during that conversation that I had never had before. I felt powerful almost. I decided to text Nick to apologize.