Twenty Three

"Please don't be busy, Luka... Please..." Chloe murmurs, pushing the numbers on her phone with shaking hands.

A few rings after she calls, the phone begins to hear some windy noise. Luka's voice rings with worry as he answers, "Chloe, what's wrong?"

Chloe lightly laughs, even though she was still shaking, "Why do you assume something's wrong?"

"Because every time you call me, you text me first saying something like 'you better not be busy because you're calling me now.' and then ten seconds later you text saying 'Nevermind, I'll just call you because you're so slow.' I didn't get a text like that, so obviously something is wrong."

"No, I mean... Yes. Are you busy?"

"I have a guitar lesson, but I'll call it off if you need me." Luka says, "Do you need me?"

Chloe stays silent for a minute before saying, "You should go back to your lesson. It's... not important."

"Okay..." Luka says, then hanging up the phone.

"What...?" Chloe looks at her phone dumbfounded, not believing that Luka would do that.

Plagg comes and plops on the pillow on her bed, "You know, this is why parents aren't as good as cheese."

"I'll agree with you on that one, Plagg." Chloe says, patting the kwami on the head.

A few minutes later, Chloe hears a pounding on her door, causing her to jump and Plagg scrambles to find a place to hide as Chloe quickly wipes the tears that were on her face away. She gets up and as cheerfully as she could asks, "Yes?"

"Chloe, it's me. Let me in." Luka says, sounding completely out of breath.

"What? Luka? What are you doing here?" Chloe asks, swinging the door open. "How did you get in-"

Luka immediately tackles her in a hug, causing the words to stop in Chloe's throat. Her eyes begin to tear up again as she wraps her arms around him.

"Why are you here? You should be at your lesson..." Chloe mutters, her voice cracking a bit.

"You think I would leave you alone? I cancelled my lesson and ran over here." Luka says quietly while he rubs her back gently.

"You didn't have to do that for me. You should have stayed."

Luka lets go of her and sits on her bed. He pats the space next to him and Chloe sits next to him, leaning on his shoulder. He wraps an arm around her as she tries to maintain her composure.

"If you aren't ready to talk about it, we don't have to." Luka says, "I will be here for you anyways."

"I want to. I need to." Chloe murmurs.

"Tell me when you're ready to." Luka says, "You don't need to rush."

"I know I called you and Adrien about it last night, but... I think that I found something out. I just... can't listen to this recording anymore. It hurts listening to it." Chloe says, taking out her phone, "At least, I can't listen to it alone. I need to know what is happening, and I thought of you first."

"I'm happy to help you, Chloe. I know it's been really difficult for you." Luka says with an encouraging grin.

"Thank you. I really appreciate it. So... Shall we get started?" Chloe asks.

Luka nods, "If you're ready, I'm ready." He takes her hand and squeezes it lightly. She smiles and presses play.

As the recording plays, Luka feels Chloe tense more and more as it continues. She is obviously still extremely sensitive to yelling, specifically to her parents.