Chapter 23

A few weeks later, she received another call from her Aunt Meg. She wanted to give her niece the latest information on what they'd discovered about Evan. Aria hated lying to her family but knew this secret was best kept to herself.

"There's been a body found buried in the desert. The coroner estimates it died about the time Evan was in Vegas." Meg told her niece.

"Oh my." Aria exclaimed, "What happened?"

"The best the police can put together was he owed a loan shark some money after he went broke and refused to pay up. Things got ugly and the loan shark had him killed. There's not much left of the body according to the police. It's about the same build and height as Evan so we're claiming it as him." Meg told her.

"I'm so sorry, Aunt Meg. You know this isn't the outcome I wanted for you." Aria calmly stated, silently thankful for the turn of events.

"I know sweetie. But you were right. He always got himself into trouble. This time, he couldn't weasel his way out of it." Meg replied, "Your Uncle Kevin is just devastated. I am too, really."

"Are you going to be having a service for him?" Aria asked.

"Yes. Kevin is having the body shipped back here. We're going to cremate him instead of burying him since he'd already been buried in the desert. Kevin wants to keep his urn on the mantle." Meg explained.

Aria sighed with relief. She was sure the cremation process would destroy any DNA evidence in the ashes. If they could even get DNA from the ashes, that is.

"Let me know when it is and I'll take the time off. I wouldn't miss his service for anything." Aria told her aunt.

"That's appreciated, Aria. I know how close you two were as children. He'd want you there." Meg smiled into the phone.

The pair talked a little more about Evan's service before Aria had to go. She sighed with relief knowing her aunt and uncle had "closure" to her missing cousin. It was an odd coincidence that a man with his exact build and height had been found but who was she to question her luck? When Tig came home that night, she told him all about the phone call she'd received from her aunt that morning. He was glad his parents were getting closure. She explained how she was going to go to his service, it would look odd if she didn't, and wanted him to go as well since he was her husband.

Tig quickly agreed knowing she would need moral support in her time of grieving for her cousin. Or that's what he'd tell people when or if they asked. She had told them they had been close growing up so it would be no surprise for her to be upset at his untimely death. All the things he'd put her through, and the things her captors had put her through on behalf of him, had hardened her heart against her cousin and she hadn't mourned him since he had killed Evan. He hoped going to an actual memorial service would help his wife finally cope with the loss. Even if she said she hated him and was glad he couldn't put her in those situations anymore.

A week later and she was getting dressed. The service was that afternoon but she wanted to get there early so she could visit with her family before the service. Tig slid his arms around her waist as she was looking herself over in the mirror. "You look amazing, babe." he stated as he rested his chin on her shoulder making her smile. "You look pretty good all dolled up yourself, Mr. Trager." she responded. He wanted to stop by the garage and let Gemma know that he wouldn't be able to go to work that day since he was escorting his wife to the service of her cousin.

Jax understood and had no problems with it. Gemma just huffed as he walked out of the office. Aria had stayed in her truck to await her husband. The drive would take about two hours to get to her aunt's house. Tig was driving which she didn't mind. Her mind was elsewhere as they drove along. She had never really dealt with his death, always telling people and herself she hated him for what he put her through. Now they had a body and were having a service for him. Granted it wasn't actually her cousin they were cremating but her family didn't need to know that.