Snippets of Hope: VI.

Today is 20/11/2020. One month since Nigeria murdered her citizens for daring to demand a better life, responsibility, accountability and a chance to freely live.

How can we forget; the blood, tears, groans, gunshots, panicked voices, nightmares and stolen lives? The cries of our brothers and sisters as they lay dying, chanting the National anthem in solidarity for a nation that never believed in her pledge. The pain, struggle, tyranny, fear, injustice, anxiety, oppression and depression that comes with being a Nigerian living in Nigeria.

The last one month still feels like a tidal wave of disappointment and anguish. A reality most of us are yet to fully comprehend and might never comprehend. Sometimes it feels like we lost too much in the process of fighting for a better tomorrow, for our future and maybe we did.

We wet our lands with the blood of the same people who begged to till it, the ones we claim are the leaders of tomorrow. Then we watched our politicians and stakeholders dance over their graves in reckless abandon with the keys of our future dangling in their grasps while spewing their usual disjointed lies as a cover up. Lies that show how little they think of us and how less they care about us.

So tell me, how can you forget or explain this?

Today we grieve, we grieve for our brothers and sisters who died in the Lekki Toll gate massacre for that's all we have been reduced to. A nation that will do and undo in their quest to remain oppressors without the slightest feeling of remorse. A country that will go the extra length to silence the people who voted her into power.

We cannot bring back the dead but we hope to carry their light with us. To imbibe in ourselves, the same selfless spirit and bravery to fight our oppressors. To soro soke in the face of injustice. To be kinder to our neighbours. To rest but never forget the fight is far from over. To stand together without any division. To be our brothers and sisters keepers. To be human first before tribe or religion.

We can't afford to be done, especially not now, as long as we have life in us, we are never done. Nigeria will not end us.

 Nigeria will not end us