chapter six

Saying yes to the marriage was never the plan. It never was. Mawra had her own fears and worries, especially with Ibrahim Qureshi. She was sceptical right from the beginning unlike him. But it took just a trip to the hospital with him for her mind to change. He dropped her back home after an hour and her mother was very happy when she informed her about the hospital visit.  

Rashidha was like, 'I'm so proud... My daughter is finally behaving like a grown-up and acting maturely' but took her words back almost immediately when Ahil and her began to fight for the last cup of ice cream, she shook her head in disbelief and left to her room with a huff. 

Mawra was yet to tell her family that she was ready to marry Ibrahim, but was preparing herself for the past one hour. She couldn't just go into her parent's room and say, 'guys I'm ready to marry.' or something like that. This whole thing was so overwhelming for her and she was a nervous wreck. 

"Mawra." Mahira's whining voice came from outside, as her younger sister barged into her bedroom along with few books and a pen. 

"No. I'm not helping you, Mahi." she gave her sister a look, who had that classic puppy look on her face, "you didn't even see what I'm going to ask." Mahira groaned. 

"I'm pretty sure that its Math. I don't do the math. Get out." 

"You're so mean, Mawra. Ammi... She is not helping me." Mahira screamed loudly as she walked out of the room along with her books. Mawra let out an annoyed huff and got up from her bed, as she decided now is the right time to break the news to her parents. Even if they don't pester her every day, she can tell that they're eagerly waiting for her answer. 

"Mahi... do it on your own, she's weaker than you in that subject anyway," Rashidha muttered as she cooked egg fried rice, whilst Mahira giggled at the weaker part. 

"Ammi. You can't insult me like that." Mawra whined at her mother, who waved her hands dismissively. 

"She's right, I'll ask Ahil. He'll help me, unlike you." 

"Go then." smacking her sister's head, she pushed her out of the kitchen, who groaned at that hit, "ammi." 

"Stop messing with her, Mawra. Behave like a grown-up at least for once." Rashidha shook her head while stirring the pot. A blush formed on her face as she realized what she came here for. She is indeed a grown-up now. At least with age. 

"Ammi..." playing with her mother's shawl, she asked for her attention, "can't it wait? I'm busy here." Rashidha slapped her hands away and tied her shawl in a knot, lest there might be an accident with fire or something. Anything is possible when her kids are around in the kitchen. 

"No, I want to talk with you. Right now..." Mawra trailed off nervously. 

"Is everything okay, Mawra?" Akram Hussain's concerned voice came from the dining room as he saw the sight in front of him, its been a while since he saw his elder daughter in that nervous state, as if she is guilty and need to admit that right away but was scared to do. It was such a nostalgic moment.  She used to do that a lot during her school days.

"I- need to talk and its important" Mawra mumbled shyly, looking at her face, Rashidha immediately switched off the stove and beamed at her daughter. Understanding the looks on her face, it must be what she was thinking. 

Mawra's eyes widened in surprise, wondering as to how she came to know that, but of course... mothers know everything. She averted her gaze below with a shy smile on her face. 

"Is that a yes then?" Rashidha asked her daughter excitedly, who nodded with another shy smile. Her face was so red that you'd mistaken it for a tomato. Akram stood there with a confused look on his face.