chapter sixteen

Mawra started at Adnan with irritation, she looked around and saw everyone eagerly anticipating her answer. The whole office was eyeing them now. Her one no could lead to so much humiliation and embarrassment for Adnan. People are going to mock him and laugh behind his back. He could have just asked her before pulling such stunts.

She let out a frustrated sigh and gulped the lump formed in her throat. Ibrahim was still furiously glaring at her and she didn't dare look at him as the next words came out of her mouth.

For a split second, she wanted to say yes, just to save him from all the embarrassment and humiliation but then the thought of hurting Ibrahim has left her numb, she valued the relationship they shared and if she said yes he's going to be shattered, heartbroken.  Ibrahim was more important than Adnan, anytime, any day. With great difficulty, she opened her mouth and whispered, "no!" 

"I'm sorry, Adnan."

Even though it was a whisper, her answer was firm and clear. 

Adnan's eyes widened in disbelief as he got up from his knees, murmurs and whispers increased among the staff as they talked among themselves. He felt so utterly humiliated and speechless. His eyes were bloodshot red as he stared at Mawra, who passed him an apologetic smile and sprinted out of there. 

He clenched his fist in fury as he walked behind her, wanting to demand answers. People passed him with pitiful looks and he hated every second of it. 

"MAWRA?" He barged into her cabin, furiously. 

"What the hell was that, Adnan?" Mawra questioned him angrily, "Did you ever ask if I felt the same way? What was the need to put me on the spot like that?" 

"Why did you say no?" "I thought you knew how I felt for you?" Adnan couldn't wrap his head around the blant rejection he just faced. It hurt his male ego. 

"No, I didn't. If I did, I'd have clearly mentioned to you that I was married already..." She threw the bomb, making him gasp.

"Are you joking?" Adnan scoffed in disbelief. 

"I think she was clear with her words, Mr Sheikh." came another furious voice. Mawra froze at that interruption. She fidgeted with her fingers whilst turning to face him, he didn't bother sparing her a glance. And that hurt, she wouldn't lie.

"She said that she's already married and if I ever see you coming close to her once again, you'll be fired from this job." Ibrahim's eyes were equally red with anger, he was fuming in irritation. They both could clearly see how mad he was.

Mawra gulped nervously. She knew she was dead today.

"Why didn't you say before?" Adnan questioned her, she glared at him in return, "it was my personal life, Adnan. I don't know why should I tell everyone about my love life. Its none of anybody's damn business."

"Wow! How cheap of you...You knew I was interested in you and yet, you didn't care telling me that you're married. You enjoyed the attention I gave you, isn't it? I never thought you'd be one of those girls, Mawra" Adnan muttered with disgust, and Mawra's eyes widened in shock. The freaking nerve of him. How did she befriend such a guy? Why didn't she notice his true colours earlier?

"That's enough!" an unexpected punch was landed on Adnan's nose, making Mawra and him gasp.

"Ibrahim!" she tried stopping him but one furious look from him and she couldn't utter anything else.

"One more word about my wife, and I will forget that you're an employee here. Apologize to her, NOW" Adnan's eyes widened in shock and disbelief.