[chapter: 20] Visits

I shut my eyes tightly as a bright white light shined down on me. I slowly sat up and shielded my eyes away as I did. Doctors rushed over to me, checking my vitals and eyes. Shining a small light in both. I groggily tried to speak but my throat was dry and rasp. I was handed a cup of water and laid back down as they settled down. Most exciting the room except for one.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Cho, do you remember anything?"

"Um, I think? What happened again?"

"You were shot at the tower while your class was on a field trip. One of the intruders shot you in the stomach. Luckily it only hit a kidney and you don't need both so we were able to fix you up no problem."

"Oh, okay.."

"I'm gonna send your Mom in, okay?" I nodded as she opened the door and left as he entered.

"Hi baby, how are you doing?"

"Okay? I think.. I'm a bit confused but.. I'll be fine."

"I think it's just the pain meds wearing off."

"How long was I out?"

"4 days. It's Monday."

"Thank god I didn't miss like 2 weeks."

"Well you're gonna be stuck in here for a little while longer, heal up a bit. You'll be back by Thursday at least according to the doctors. Too short for my liking." She inhaled audibly, almost hesitant. "Peter's been worried sick about you, so are your other friends. Do you want to talk to anyone right now? Beside me?"

"Is my Dad here?"

"Yeah, I can grab him.." She stood up and kissed my temple before leaving. Not even a minute later he runs in. He holds me closely like he did before I drifted off.

"Hi Dad."

"Hey doll.." He kissed my forehead and held his hand next to my head. "How do you feel? How- how-"

"I'm feeling a bit better. Being shot isn't exactly my idea of fun."

"I didn't think so." He wiped his eyes from silent tears. A knock was heard from the door.

"Come in?" And in came Peter with red puffy eyes and looking very sleep deprived.

"Y/n?" He shakily spoke. "I got here as soon as possible.. We were in the middle of a really cool lesson but- I'd drop anything for you.. You know that."

Dad leaned back in his seat as Peter slowly walked over before rushing into a sprint. He laid his head on my chest and hugged me closely. Dad left and walked out to where I saw Steve waiting. They held each other closely before heading off.

"I thought I lost you forever..."

"You couldn't ever get rid of me. You can try but I'll follow you even as a ghost."

"Y/n.." He sobbed.

"I can come back Thursday.. At least."

"MJ and Ned are worried too, they couldn't get out of class though..."

"It's okay. I understand."

I don't think I've seen Peter like this before. I mean of course I haven't seen him like this. He's worried and panicked and cautious because I got shot 4 days ago and just woke up.

"I didn't know the human body could sleep for so long, well comas exist but-" I trailed off.

"That's like a power nap compared to the 70 years Cap was in the ice." We laughed.