Chapter III

*A short chapter to give background on Jon's story*

"Welcome to Castle Black. We have few but important rules. In order to survive on the wall you must live by the words in your oath. To break this oath is to greet death at your door. Most of you are rapers, murderers and thieves. You have been given a chance at an honorable life to make up for the bad crimes you've committed in this lifetime."

Lord Commander Mormont was a terrifying man. The way he presented himself was confident and intimidating. When the bastard Jon Snow looked upon him he knew he made the right choice joining the Night's Watch. No matter what his father said he felt as if he belonged serving the brothers of the Watch. He had a purpose here. He could learn how to become an excellent swordsman and prove himself more than a bastard, especially more than Ned Stark's bastard.

Leaving Winterfell was hard but the way Lady Catelyn saw it it was good riddance of an awful mistake. She had dreaded the day Ned Stark came home with this dark haired child that wasn't carried by her. Were the children she bore Ned not good enough for him? She wouldn't let the child hold the name Stark so he was called Snow, Jon Snow.

"How long will we be in training before taking the Black?" Jon asked the Lord Commander.

"You seem very eager to begin your Watch but this means you may not father any children, you may not take a wife and you may not hold any titles or lands. You belong to the Wall and that's your life." he replied.

"Ser Alliser Thorne will beginning your training at first light so turn in to your chambers and get plenty of rest."