IX

"i'm so tired." bokuto yawned through the phone. daily phone calls were a normal thing since they couldn't see each other during winter break. "i almost forgot your birthday is in a couple days, are you going to have a party?"

"i don't think so. i'm going out for dinner with my family."

"can i take you somewhere?" bokuto asked proudly making akaashi feel funny.

"depends where."

"you'll love it. i know you will." akaashi smiled widely.

"then sure but the day after my birthday since i have to go somewhere with my family."

"but i wanna see you the day of your birthday." akaashi could feel bokuto pout through the phone.

"i'll try but plan for the next day too."

"i can sneak out."

"no, bokuto-san."

"you're no fun also, stop calling me that." akaashi smiled.

akaashi felt butterflies when bokuto spoke, literally any time bokuto spoke, all akaashi could feel is butterflies.

it was december fourth, 11:56pm. akaashi paced around his room. hoping to hear 'it's akaashi birthday!' in a his head, hoping it was someone he knows. he looked back at his clock, 11:57pm.

"fuck." akaashi mumbled under his breath. he was scared. what if he was never going to find his soulmate? what if they aren't meant for each other? what if his soul mate is a serial killer? he paced around his room.

11:58pm.

"i'm gonna go insane." akaashi ran his fingers through his hair. he started to pace around his room slower but time went faster. 11:59pm.

he went to his bathroom and looked in the mirror.

"why am i taking this so seriously? i'm probably not gonna hear anything." akaashi never liked the thought of his soulmate hearing his thoughts, but it's what the universe wants. "but why does the universe care so much about my soul mate." he groaned.

he went back to his room. 12:00. no voice. he was relieved, but also shocked. he'll just have to wait until-

'its akaashis birthday! i'm going to be the first to text him!'

it sounded just like bokuto.

'b-bokuto-san?' akaashi asked in pure shock.

'WHAT THE FUCK?! AKAASHI?!'

'bokuto-san? you can hear my thoughts..'

'and you can hear mine..'

'which means..'

'we're soul mates..?' they both said in unison.

'we can't. we're both guys!' akaashi was in shock.

'i mean we did flirt here and there so it's not a surprise surprise.'

'no-'

'even kuroo thought we were dating.' akaashi blushed. even akaashi had a small crush on bokuto.

'do you like me?' akaashi asked softly.

'yes. for a while i have. i didn't think you were gonna be my soulmate though.' he paused. 'do you like me?' bokuto asked.

'yes. i always have.'

'hehe, i knew.'

'how?' akaashi laid on his bed, in some sort of relief.

'you made it obvious. you always stare at me like you're gonna kiss me.' bokuto lightly chuckled.

'shut up so would you.' akaashi smiled. he placed his hand over his face. he was hot, he felt like he was going to evaporate. 'bokuto-san?'

'stop calling me bokuto-san. you make me feel old. but what is it?'

' can i see you? in person?'

'yes. meet me at the park.'

'ok. i'll be there.'

akaashi got up and smiled to himself. he changed his shirt into a normal black one, some shorts (even though it was the middle of winter), a hoodie, and his volleyball shoes since they were the closest.

bokuto jumped up and down with joy. he quickly put on a hoodie and a pair of sweatpants and dashed out of the house. his dad wasn't home, but he was desperate to see akaashi one more time.

bokuto ran to the park and saw akaashi sitting on one of the benches.

"akaashi!" bokuto waved.

"hey, bokuto-san." akaashi stood up and walked towards bokuto.

"i told you to stop calling me that." they were both now face to face. "akaashi.."

"yes?"

"can i hug you?" bokuto asked politely.

"of course." akaashi held out his arms and was quickly embraced by bokuto. bokuto wrapped his arms around akaashis waist and akaashi wrapped his arms around bokutos neck.

"i missed you, akaashi." bokuto nudged his head into the crook of akaashis neck.

"i miss you too."

they slowly rocked side to side. bokuto held akaashi a bit tighter, akaashi felt like jelly when bokuto did that. akaashi started to run his fingers through bokutos black and sliver hair.

"bokuto-sa-" akaashi paused in realization of what he said. bokuto looked up and glared, causing akaashi to smile. "i'm sorry but..does this mean we are dating now?"

"i would hope so." bokuto smiled. "wait wait, let me ask properly." bokuto released from the hug.

"ok, go ahead." akaashi let go of bokuto.

"akaashi keiji," bokuto grabbed akaashis hands in his, making akaashi feel like jello again. "i love you a lot, i've been in love with you for a long time and i was hoping that you would hear my voice in your head. i was hoping we were going to be soul mates. ever since the first time you tossed to me, i knew you weren't going to leave me. even though you were so cold and quite, you stuck with me through everything. no matter how annoying i got or how sad i was after a game. i really couldn't ask for a better soul mate but akaashi keiji, will you be my boyfriend?"

"yes. i would love to be your boyfriend bokuto-san." akaashi leaned into for a kiss but bokuto rejected it.

"i'm breaking up with you." bokuto said with a straight face.

"what?!"

"you called me bokuto-san.."

"it's a habit, love. i won't say it anymore now, give me a kiss." akaashi puckered his lips, and he immediately felt bokutos lips on his. bokuto pulled away and saw akaashi blushing hard.

"happy birthday." bokuto cupped one of his hands on akaashis cheek causing akaashi to get more shyer. "i'm still taking you out." akaashi smiled and leaned his face into bokutos hand.

'the best birthday ever.' akaashi thought.