XIII

it had only been a couple weeks and akaashi was not doing better, his breathing was bad, and he was spitting up more phlegm but his complexion looks decent, he was definitely paler than normal, and he was getting skinny. he stopped going to school so bokuto would come over every day to bring him his work (which bokuto didn't even mind).

"hey bokuto!" bokuto turned around to see konoha.

"hey. what's up?"

"if you don't mind me asking, how's akaashi?"

"not the best but definitely not the worst. he still is doing pretty bad." bokuto let out a nervous chuckle.

"is he ever gonna come back?"

"i can't say. i don't even know myself, to be honest..i don't even think he knows. he looks to get better but at the same time, he's always coughing, he's always cold, he's become skinny. i wish i could do something." bokuto put his back against the wall and covered his face.

"i'm so sorry, i'll tell the team. maybe we could all go visit him someday."

"that would definitely make him happy, tell me when and i'll help you guys plan. thank you for the concern. i'll tell him you asked about him." konoha nodded and walked away.

even though akaashi couldn't hear their conversation, when bokuto thought about akaashi, akaashi could hear what he was thinking about.

akaashi didn't want bokuto worrying about him. it made him feel terrible.

'bokuto-san..'

'don't call me that.' akaashi smiled.

'sorry but how's school baby?'

'eh, same as always. how's your day so far?'

"hey, baby." bokuto said as he walked into akaashi room.

"hi, my love." akaashi smiled, whenever bokuto would come over akaashi could probably be the happiest guy on earth.

akaashis voice was strained. he had almost lost his voice from coughing. bokuto hated that. he wanted to hear his akaashi, he wanted to go places with akaashi, he wanted to play volleyball with akaashi.

bokuto walked up to akaashi and kissed his forehead gently. akaashi felt butterflies everywhere, bokuto was so gentle it made his heart want to explore.

akaashi sat up straight, so he could speak to bokuto properly.

"how was school?" akaashi asked as bokuto sat down on akaashis bed, right across from akaashi in crisscross applesauce position.

"boring, lunch isn't fun without you." bokuto laid his head on akaashis legs.

"how's the team?" akaashi racked his hands though bokutos sliver and black hair.

"konoha asked how you were," bokuto took a pause, remember about what they talked about. "the team..we're such a mess and without my setter i'm useless." bokuto said plainly.

"oh hush."

"it's true. i need you."

"you're overreacting. not every ace needs a setter plus-"

"akaashi, shut up." bokuto sat up straight and looked akaashi right in the eyes. bokutos golden eyes pierced right through akaashi. "i'm nothing without you."

"that's nonsense bokuto-san. i doubt the fourth best ace in the country needs a simple setter like me. what's gonna happen when you graduate and find another team? you're gonna have to get used to the new setter."

"don't call me that," bokuto pouted. "and hey! you're not just a simple setter. you're one of the best setters i've ever seen, and we've played against really good teams."

"stop trying to change the subject. i'm not always gonna be on your team bokuto."

"that's different. i'll have a new setter, that i'll have to get used to but right now i don't even have my setter."

"what? am i only good for volleyball?" akaashi said jokingly, making both of them smile.

"no, you're pretty smart too." bokuto joked along.

"oh shut up." akaashi rolled his eyes. "also i'm not your setter, i'm the teams' setter." akaashi glared at bokuto.

"i love you." bokuto smiled at akaashi and fell onto him, making them lay down.

"i love you too." they held each other and talked about the team and old memories.

akaashi smiled as bokuto told him a story about when he was young. he could listen to bokuto for hours and would never get tired of it. akaashi never complained, he never spoke bad about bokuto. he never realized that bokuto is just that way. bokuto has always been very social, since the day they met.

akaashi loved that.