1

MEERA

His steady, and rock hands were moving towards my forehead to apply the sindoor on me. The entire surrounding was full of cheers and laughs all of them were happy and smiling as if this is as normal as everyone thinks. And between all those laughter, one laugh is that I can discriminate perfectly.

The edge of the coin from which he applied sindoor touched me as the last drop of tear from my eyes slid down.

I closed my eyes as the movement of my brother smiling being happy came in front of me, tears rolling down. I opened my eyes again and saw him as he was right in front of me sitting in his wheelchair. As broken as me. I can say by the look in his eyes that he is blaming himself every second that he couldn't do anything for me. He was crumbling every minute and that was so clear.

But I can't make him cry or blame him for the rest of his life. Not when he is in such condition when he have to live like this with me not being around. Because one thing I know for sure is that now when I leave here I'll never get the opportunity to come back. So I must make him strong.

I can't let him remember my crying face for the last time that will make him live in regret and hurt himself. My head is straight as I was looking at him while the person beside me slid the mangalsutra in my neck. I looked at that man who was looking straight. And then once again I looked at my brother and smiled at him.

Even though it was distant I can see him crying inside. It was getting only harder and harder for me to keep the smile on my face. And even became harder when I looked at the man behind him who was also looking straight at me. It was my destroyer.

The next thing that got me out of that awful glare was pandit Ji announcing his final world's that destroyed me and my entire life.

"Shaadi sampan hui" His words were dagger that shooted right in my heart. A sudden sense of pain took over my heart. As I felt how my life is going to be for my entire life now.

We were made to stand but I couldn't. My legs were fumbling as I was about to collapse. Even though I was standing straight I was feeling that I was a cripple in front of these beasts in front of me.

It felt like even after having everything I had nothing in me. I couldn't do anything to save myself from this dangerous creature. Nothing.

We were asked to touch the feet of every elder around her and take their blessing to begin a long and prosperous life. Which I knew was impossible.

I was moved to go and touch the feet of his parents then his grandparents elder brother and his wife which he didn't do and lastly, it was my turn to touch my brother.

But

I was made not to. He didn't walk his way nor do he at least stop. Since there was this knot between us of his shawl and my chair I couldn't get to him. For the first time in all this time, I looked at his eyes begging them to move towards him. But his deep black eyes showed how much black soul he has.

He smirked as we were moved to walk towards the car.

For the last time, I wanted to touch my brother and bid him farewell for the last time I wanted to see his beautiful smile. For the last time. But no I couldn't because I was told that I can't.

I was told by his evil eyes that stated you can't and can never.

We were almost towards the car when a small figure hugged my legs. I looked down at the thing when I noticed it was Kshitij, my nephew.

My little sweet nephew. I squatted to reach his levels when the knot was about to get open but Viraj caught it. I looked at him when fury was visible in his eyes. Clear as crystal.

But shaking away the fear rising in me I once again saw the little soul. A tear again slipped from me.

"Dad once said marriage is something that must be done to be happy and tears are not an act of happiness." His pure heart speaks those words' expressing confusion.

"Well you see there are also a thing as tears of happiness and I'm really happy that I'm getting married. " I spoke to make him understand. A lie.

Even though elders have always taught kids to never lie they are also the ones who taught them to do it.

"I know. By the way, you will come back right. " He said with hope and a cute smile filled his little face and it got heavier to control my tears now.

"Wow you are such a tall man I want to be just like you. " suddenly he turned to Viraj who was looking at him with no expression at all on his face. But after hearing his words I could see Viraj's expression changing in something I couldn't understand.

"Well Mr I request you please keep sending my aunt to meet me after I'm counting on you," he said as he bent to give him a requesting greet.

But his pair of eyes looked at mine speaking to end this over fast.
It was something shocking to me his coldness towards a kid I know he is a beast but I can't do anything for it because every wrong action I will take would make my family be thrown in danger that I can't afford. For the last time, I hugged him tightly.

"Please pass one of these to your dad okay. " I speak in his ears as we broke apart.

" I will " he smiles enthusiastically as I stand and sit in the car beside him.

~

Hey please give it your love and support.