Christmas special #5: Ice Skating

A/N: I'M SO SORRY I DIDN'T UPLOAD. I had a really busy weekend which is no excuse and I'm so sorry! BUT I'll try to make it up to you tomorrow! Enjoy this one for now xx 

And let me know if you like where this is going 

It's Saturday. The sun is shining brightly through your bedroom window. You had just woken up to a text from Tom apologizing – again – for the night before. You roll your eyes but can't help and smile. You quickly get out of bed and make yourself some breakfast. As you sit down on one of the bar stools, you check the screenshots of your list. Today would be the perfect day to go ice skating. It's crisp again but the sky is so blue that it would be a shame not to spend the day outside. Also, you feel like you need to show Tom that you don't care if he gets recognized in public. You like spending time with him, no matter the circumstances. So, you decide to call him.

He picks up after a few rings. "Good morning", his thick British accent greets you. He sounds like he's panting.
"What are you doing?", you ask, laughing.

"Harrison and I just came back from a run", he explains.

God, you couldn't imagine running in the freezing cold.

"What do you think about going ice skating today?", you bluntly ask.

You can tell Tom's a little unsure about it at first but you convince him that you really don't care in case he'd have to take a couple photos again. Eventually, he gives in.

"Perfect", you call out excited, after you decide to meet up at the ice rink. You hear Tom chuckling at your excitement before you hang up.

You finish your breakfast and start on some uni work, before you get ready for the day. You get all your warm clothes out, a thick sweater and some fuzzy socks. Of course, you put your hat and gloves on again as well, before you leave your apartment. You had decided to meet at 3 and you were running a little late. Finally, you get off the right station and walk a couple of minutes until you reach the natural history museum where the ice rink is.

It's a little crowded but not too much. The ice rink is filled with people but it still looks clear enough for you to go on. You do have to admit that you love the idea of ice skating but the actual skating does scare you a little. Why? Cause you suck at it.

"There you are", Tom greets with a big smile as he walks straight at you. In both his hands he's holding a pair of skates. He opens his arms to greet you with a hug which you happily accept.

"Here you go", he hands you one pair. "I hope I got your size right?"

You sit down on one of the benches as you change your shows. They fit perfectly.

"I need to admit something", you say, trying not to be all too embarrassed. You're making your way over to the entrance of the rink. Tom waits for you to continue.
"Well, I'm not really good at this. Actually, I can't do it at all."

Tom stops walking and looks at you surprised. "Are you serious? You kept going on and on about how ice skating is a must."

"Yeah well it is! But mostly because everything here looks so beautiful and festive. Plus it would be the most awesome thing to do if I was really good at it."

Suddenly, Tom grabs your hand and pulls you with him. You're surprised. And you wish you had not put your gloves on. Feeling his fingers intertwine with yours would be so much better if it was skin on skin.

Stop it, you immediately think and try to distract yourself. This is nothing. Just a friendship. Or actually, if anything, this is a partnership of convenience of two people trying to get through the holiday season without being lonely.

"So", Tom says as you reach the entrance. "I'm not trying to brag here", he wiggles his eyebrows at you, "but I'm pretty good at ice skating." He gets on the ice and twirls around. You start laughing but must admit that you're impressed. "What I'm trying to say is", he holds out his hand for you to take and join him on the ice, "I will keep you safe."

You stare at is hand, then at the skates on your feet. "Alright, fine, but if I fall, I totally blame you." You take his hand and carefully step onto the ice.

It feels incredibly unsteady and slippery. Obviously.

"Ouch", Tom suddenly calls out. "God, I'm so sorry", you apologize as you realize you've been squeezing his hand way too hard.

"I'm joking, don't worry", he laughs.

Now, slowly, you start skating. Or Tom does, you're more so being dragged over the ice by him. Eventually though you get the gist of putting one foot after the other without stumbling.
"See you're doing it", Tom yells excited.
"I am!", you call out. "I'll still kill you if you let go of my hand though!", you quickly add.

You feel Toms grip tightening and smile.

After concentrating on your feet for a whole lot of the time, you finally relax a little and take in your surroundings. It's starting to get darker which makes all the light around you glow even more. What seems to be glowing the most though is Tom. His grin is huge, you can tell he's really enjoying ice skating. And he looks so unbelievably cute in his grey beanie.

Suddenly you feel bad. He must be skating so much slower that he would without you. This can't possibly be fun for him.

"Hey you wanna do a couple rounds without me? I think I'm a bit tired."
"You sure", Tom asks. You nod.

Within a second though you realize you have no idea how to get off the ice now.

"Wait", Tom says. He lets go of your hand but immediately is behind you and grabs onto your hips. "Just stand still", he says, then he pushes you across the rink. You're getting so fast you almost start to scream and grab onto his hands to keep steady. As you reach the exit, you come to a hold within seconds. You can't help but laugh loudly.

"Seeing, going fast isn't even that scary", Tom winks at you.

"Well", you step off the ice. "Show me some of your skills then", you say, leaning onto the rail of the rink. Tom skates of. He really is so good. You watch in awe whilst he practically flies across the ice. It's incredible.

When he gets off, he's panting. "This was awesome", you smile.

"Thank you." He starts taking off his skates. You already have your boots back on. Tom takes your skates and you take them back.

"You up for some mulled wine?", he asks.

You nod, excited. "Always."

The whole rest of the evening you can't help but swoon over Tom. The way his hands wrap around the mug to keep him warm, the way his cheeks and nose are all red. He keeps pulling down his head every now and then. And whenever you say something seemingly funny he throws his head back laughing.

Even when you're already back in your apartment, in your bed, all alone, you can still feel the grip of his hands on our waist and the breeze in your hair as he pushed you over the ice.