one

It's nearing September 1st, and my fourteenth birthday just passed. I walk down the stairs to breakfast, where my sister was already at the table crunching toast, and Mom was putting on a kettle for tea. I sit down and take a knife to the butter tub. As I  spread the butter on my bread, Mom looks up at me. 

"You look awfully bothered, Elizabeth,"

I looked up at her. "I'm just worried"

"Eliza, you still have 2 weeks till term starts. That's enough time to get your letter."

Here's the sitch: My sister, Myra, and I have gone to Beauxbatons for the past three years. She's fifteen, and I just turned fourteen. The past three years at Beauxbatons have been great, don't get me wrong, but I've always dreamed of going to Hogwarts since I was little. Myra got her transfer letter last month and got everything she needs for the upcoming year. Robes, textbooks, everything she would ever want or need at Hogwarts. I haven't got my letter yet.  And, like I told Mom, I'm worried I won't get it. It's very rare that someone as far away as my family will get in. But I'm determined that I will. I couldn't stand another year at Beauxbatons (especially without Myra), even if you paid me 1,000 Galleons. 

"But...what if I don't get it in time to get all my things from Diagon Alley?" 

Myra shakes her head. "You will. Dumbledore wouldn't do that."

But I'm still skeptical. 

-

-

It's been a week, and I still haven't received anything in the mail, except a letter from my friend Claire at Beauxbatons, but I shove that into the bottom drawer of my dresser and ignore it. After reading in my bed for a couple of hours, I decide to head downstairs, and just as I open my door, Myra knocks. 

"I started to get worried about you"

"You shouldn't"

"Well, are you coming or not?" Myra smirks and I can tell she's hiding something.

As I trudge down the stairs, I see the lights are off in the kitchen. The lights are never off in the kitchen. As I go to get the tea kettle from the cupboard, out of the corner of my eye, I see Myra mouthing something to the corner. Definitely suspicious. I sit down at the table and busy myself with scratching at the wood while the water in the kettle warms up. 

When my water is ready, I grab a cup and rummage around for a teabag. In the dark. I find one, and try not to burn myself with the water from the kettle. And as I turn around, 

"SURPRISE!!"

The lights are on and Mum, Dad, and Myra are standing near where I was sitting at the table.

I force a laugh, "Um... what? I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong person."

They all laugh, and Dad pulls out an envelope. I immediately recognize the green ink. My hand flies over my mouth. 

"Oh my god"

They all reach in for a big group hug, with me in the middle. I can feel my eyes start to well up. As we release our hug, Dad hands me the envelope. I carefully peel off the purple wax seal, careful to not rip it. As I pull the parchment out of the envelope, a tear slides down my face and I wipe it with my sleeve before anyone can see. But it's no use, they're all looking at me anyway. I read the segment that says "We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." I start to cry and embrace my family again. 

After a moment, "Well, what are we waiting for!? Get ready for Diagon Alley!"

I wipe my eyes and sprint up the stairs. I quickly get dressed and brush my teeth. I totally forgot about breakfast.  We'll pick up some at the Leaky Cauldron. As I pull my little sack of Galleons from the secret compartment in my bookcase, I also pull on my socks and hop down the stairs. As everyone gets in the car, I run upstairs with the letter, which is just slightly damp from my tears. I stuff it in my beat-up shoebox, where all my prized possessions belong. I linger on it in my room for a brief moment, and then hear Mum from downstairs.

"You ready, Honey?"

"Yup" I breathe in. "Ready."

As we're speeding down the road, I look out the window, not believing this moment would ever come.  I smile at the world outside. I can't wait. 

-

-

-

-

haha this chapter was REAL short, but the next chapter is coming soon 😉