Chapter 20

"I will kill them. Let me go, Dad! I will kill them!"

"No! Listen to me, Larzen! You won't! You won't!"

Midas glared at his own father. "Don't stop me!"

"I need to!" Giit ni Larry bago inilagay sa likod ng anak ang kamay nito upang ito'y mapigilan. Dumaing sa sakit si Midas.

Lumapit si Gwynedd na nanghihina dahil sa kakaiyak at humawak sa anak. "Please, Midas, don't. Don't, son. Please, don't." Natakpan niya ang bibig at napa-upo. Larry let Midas' hand go at dinaluhan si Gwynedd.

Tumulo ang mga luha ni Midas. "Mom, didn't you see what they plotted to do to her? Didn't you see what they're about ro do to her!? Mom, they touched her. They molested and harassed her. They deserve to die!"

Umiling si Gwynedd at inabot ang kaniyang kamay. Hinagod ni Larry ang likod ng asawa na hindi na makahinga dahil sa kakaiyak. Iniupo niya ito. Inabutan ni Caedmon ng mineral water si Gwynedd upang ito'y kumalma naman kahit papaano.

"Midas... Midas..."

Napatayo si Midas at agad na lumapit kay Kalonice. Tinanggap niya ang nanginginig at parang patay sa lamig niyang kamay. "Midas... Midas... My body... Midas... Midas!" Humagulgol ng iyak si Kalonice at nayakap ang sarili. Mariing napapikit si Midas at siya'y niyakap.

Kalonice kept on calling his name. Just his name.

Gwynedd fainted. Larry panicked at tinawag ang mga doktor at nurse upang matingnan ang asawa.

Mahigpit na kumapit si Kalonice kay Midas. "Midas... M-Matatanggap mo pa ba ako? A-Ang dumi-dumi ko, Midas. Ang dumi ko! Ayoko na! Ayoko na, ayoko na! Midas, ayoko na!"

"Kalonice, I do. I do and I will always accept you. You're not dirty... Kalonice, you are pure. You are not dirty. I accept you. Hush... They will pay for what they did to you." Mahigpit niyang niyakap si Kalonice at isinubsob ito sa kaniyang dibdib. He couldn't bear it. The unexplainable feeling was eating his entirety.

Humina ang pag-iyak ni Kalonice hanggang sa tuluyan itong nanahimik. Midas slowly lay her down at inayos ang kaniyang buhok. Hinilamusan niya ang mukha at tumingin sa mga magulang.

"Call the doctors. We're leaving here," sabi niya na siyang nagpataka sa ama.

"What do you mean, son?" tanong niya.

Tumalikod si Midas at hinarap si Kalonice. Hinawakan niya ang kamay nito bago hinaplos ang pisngi. "We're moving her to US. She will stay with us until she recovered. And those bastards... Walang death penalty dito sa Pilipinas so I will send them to USA too. They should be thankful of me. Sa ibang bansa pa sila mamamatay."

"Are you nuts, Midas!?" singhap ni Caedmon sa kaniya at siya'y nilapitan ng ilang hakbang lamang.

"Huwag kang magpadalos-dalos, anak. It's not a solution for this---"

Masamang tumingin si Midas sa ama. "Then what? If it's not death, then what?" He breathes, "You see what they did to her. They were about to---to do that to her! And you will say that death isn't the best punishment for them? Dad, do I need to be explicit here para lang makuha mo na deserve nilang mamatay!?"

Nagulat si Larry at hindi nakaimik. Midas is obviously calm, but he's furious. He's keeping the tone of his voice down because Kalonice is resting. Larry was dumbfounded by his words. He's been stingy and mean for years, but what he's showing right now is different. His son is already wishing deaths for those men. And he could not help but worry.

"I don't care if Kalonice will scold me about this. I will do it, because it's for her own sake and goodness. She will live with us and I will hire the best doctors in USA to treat her. No, her siblings will be graduating this week, and she's yet to graduate too..." Hindi nagtagal ang kaniyang pag-iisip at nakaisip agad ng solusyon.

He took his phone out and called NBI. He told the Chief to bring some of his men and that he will hire them for the entire week to guard Kalonice's room.

Caedmon and Larry looked at each other. They never knew that Midas will be this powerful. They don't even have the guts to rebut back at his decisions. On the other hand, he was right. But they're doubting if death would be really the answer.

"Where are you going?" tanong nila Caedmon at Larry nang tumayo si Midas matapos makipagusap sa mga sundalo.

"Her school. I will talk to the Principal."

"What are you---Midas! Midas!" Tawag ni Larry sa anak ngunit nagpatuloy lang ito sa paglalakad palayo. Sinundan niya ito sa labas. Natampal niya ang noo at nahilamusan ang mukha.

"He's insane," aniya at tinanaw ang anak na papalayo. His shoulders fell.

Midas's indeed insane.

Midas stepped inside the campus and looked for the Principal head on. An hour left and the classes will be dismissed. He went to the office and found her there. He went in without any signs. Gulat na gulat tuloy ang Principal sa bigla niyang pagsulpot at pagdating.

"When is the graduation day?" Diretso niyang katanungan.

The Principal gape her mouth in surprise. "I-It will be next month, on the 17th of May. Why did you asked?"

"Make it happen next week," seryoso niyang sabi na siyang nagpalaglag sa panga ng Principal. "Montecristo got into an accident and we're leaving this shitty country right after this week ends. I bet everyone has nothing to do already but prepare. So, make the graduation happen next week."

"I-I cannot do that. The students is yet to have their final exams by the end of this month. The preparations won't be easy. It will take time. And also, the announcement will probably surprise the students and they will have a hard time to grasp with the sudden change," masinsin na paliwanag ng Principal.

"Give me the questionnaire then. I will answer them for Kalonice. I don't want to wait that long. I don't want to stay in this shitty country any longer---"

"I'm deey sorry, but I really could not. I could give Miss Montecristo an excuse slip and send her the lessons she will miss. It's just so absurd to hear, Mr. Yzaguirre. No one would agree with your idea."

Midas clench his fists and glared at the Principal. The Principal shivered in fear but she remained her composure.

"Make the graduation sooner instead. I know Architect Octavius Lisieux is one of this school's owners and investors, I will tell it to him too. I believe that the students has nothing to do already but wait and review for the upcoming examinations. You better do it or you will lose yiur job, " pagbabanta niya at lumabas na ng opisina.

He then head to the school of her siblings. He asked what Kalonice have planned for the graduation. He found out that Kalonice set a party for Thursday, the day before the said graduation.

Since Kalonice could not do them, siya na ang gagawa. He never imagined himself helping others again after being cold to everyone. He was always available if there is people in need. He stretch his hand to help others while remaining in the shadows. They were grateful of him and his help. But with just one lie, they point their fingers at him and called him out. He got tired of it. Siya na nga ang tumulong, siya pa ang tinahulan. Humans and their natures: they are only kind if they benefit from you.

And it's a painful truth.

~

"Hey, I'm back," he softly muttered upon his entrance. Kalonice darted her eyes on him.

"Saan ka pumunta?" she questioned.

Midas sat beside her. "Your and their school. I talked to the Principals," he draw his fingers towards her habd and claimed it.

"Anong ginawa mo d'on?"

"Talked to them. I will make your plans happened. I already bought gifts for the children and they are being wrapped already. Also, I will tell Ninong to move your school's graduation day on the first day of May so I can take you to USA already."

Kalonice's eyes widened in shock. "A-Ano!? Midas, hindi mo kailangang gawin 'yon---"

He squeeze her hand before wrapping another warm hand on it. "I don't care about how much money I will spend. I could earn them twice. What's important is to do and make what you have planned happen. That's the least thing I could do to make it up to you," a look for sorry flashed across his face. He gave her hand a tender kiss before helding her eyes captive.

"I'm sorry, but just let me do it for you, Kalonice. You need to rest. If you want to recover fast, you need to obey me, because what I'm doing is for your best. It's for your sake. So, let me, okay? I'll take care of everything and you." He flash a sweet smile after. Caressing her hair, he give her a kiss on her forehead. Kalonice was overwhelmed and warmed by his sweet concern. She couldn't find a reason to say 'NO'. First, because she knows that he will keep on insisting until she gives up and second, he's just so sincere and his intentions are too pure.

She smiles at him and nodded. "Ikaw bahala. May tiwala ako sa iyo, Midas."

Napangiti ang binata sa narinig at muli siyang hinalikan sa noo. "Thank you, Kalonice," he thanked and draw himself close to her for an embrace.

Caedmon looked away and pretended that he's busy in his phone. He just could not stand it, seeing them so lovey-dovey with each other. Rather than be annoyed with that kind of sight, he will choose to be blind that he did not see it to avoid himself from causing another regrettably scene.

***

"As for the result of the tests we run to Miss Montecristo, we recommend a month or two of bed rest. Her head must be regularly monitored, but all is well. Actually, there is almost nothing to worry about if she will undergo better treatment. As for her leg, we braced it already. It will take a month for it to be fully healed too..."

Kinalabit ni Kalonice si Midas. Agad naman itong lumingon sa kaniya. Itinuro niya ang mansanas na nasa lamesa. Inabot ito ni Midas maging ang kutsilyo para ito'y hatiin. Pagkatapos ay inabot niya ang kalahati nito kay Kalonice.

"Thank you, doc." Larry. The doctors smiled and went on their way out.

"You heard the doctors. You will need months of bed rest," hayag ni Midas at kumuha ng saging.

"Narinig ko nga. Hindi naman ako bingi," sagot naman ni Kalonice at inabutan ng mansanas ang mga kapatid.

"Hindi pa ba kayo uuwi nila Tita? Anong oras na..." Puna niya bago tumingin sa orasan. Pasado alas-otso y media na ng gabi at nandito pa din sila. "May pasok pa bukas sina Ali. Baka ma-late sila."

"You don't need to worry about them, hija. We will take good care of them. Uuwi na din kami ng Tita Gwynedd mo sa mga bata at isasama namin sila. Magpapa-iwan daw dito si Midas," ngiti ni Larry.

Tumingin si Kalonice kay Midas. Tinaasan siya nito ng kilay. "Babantayan kita. Dito lang ako sa tabi mo."

"Hindi na kailangan, Midas. Nag-hire ka na ng sundalo. Ligtas na ako dito."

"I don't trust those fucking soldiers. They are still men. Hindi kita iiwang mag-isa dito. They may be soldiers, they may serve the country, and protect lives, but there are chances that they will harm others too. Don't force me to go because I will still stay here," matigas niyang pahayag at ibinigay kay Kalonice ang saging. Napabuntong hininga na lamang ang babae.

"Ang kulit mo din e, 'no? Ikaw bahala. Ang dami mong alam."

"It's for your safety. I'm just making you my priority."

Pinilit ni Kalonice na itago ang kaniyang ngiti dahil sa mga sinabi nito. Umiling na lamang siya at kumagat sa saging. Tumingin sa isa't isa ang mag-asawang Yzaguirre nang may ngiti sa kanilang mga labi.

Iniba na ni Midas ang usapan. "Anyways, by weekends ay ipapagawa na namin ang passport nila Ali at Francis, so right after your graduation ay makaalis na tayo dito."

"Hindi naman halatang galit ka sa bansang 'to," tawa ni Kalonice.

"I do not hate the country. I hate the countrymen. But you could tell so too. It depends. I hate everything I see that's hateful anyway," he shrugs before peeling another banana.

"Uhhm, nasaan pala 'yung...'yung ano..."

"Uncle Hassan?" Tumango si Kalonice. "We told him to stay at my place with the kids for now. Bet he already told what happened to our families in Dubai too. He can't be exposed that's why we told him to go first," paliwanag ni Midas sa kaniya

"Will he be punished? Sasabihin kong aksidente lang ang lahat huwag lang siyang pagalitan," pag-aalala ni Kalonice. Midas sighed.

"He will be. You don't need to worry anymore. We got things controlled. Also, he's really sorry for what happened to you. He overspeed because he was trying to escape from his bodyguards. We figured that he sneaked to get here just so he will be the to tell us that he's getting married soon. He will be punished, of course, and it will be more severe if a footage of what happened will leak across the Internet. It will ruin his reputation and there will be fires everywhere. Thankfully, he's not that known here. He's safe as long as you will be safe,"

"Anong ibig mong sabihin sa huli? Anong mangyayari kapag hindi ako gumaling o hindi bumuti ang kalagayan ko?"

Midas plaster a serious expression onto his face. "He will be relieved as the Crowned Prince of Dubai real quick."

Nanlaki ang mga mata ni Kalonice at napanganga.

"They will replace him. Which is the thing we're avoiding. We have family conflicts too and we're the only ones he trusts the most especially Mom. That's why he was guarded because his life was threatened too. Either by our families or some bad guys that hold grudges against us, them. He's the Crowned Prince after all. Honestly, it was supposedly Mom to be successor of my grandfather since she was his favorite, but she chose Dad instead and I know she's regretting it---"

"I couldn't believe that in all of my sperm, ikaw ang nabuo. Bida-bida ka talaga!" buga ni Larry na naiirita. His own son is stabbing him right after him!

"I somehow am. I'm tired dealing with this unfunny jokes." Gwynedd yawned and folded her arms. Larry pouted.

"Hindi mo na ako love, Love?" Gwynedd grimaced in disgust before rolling her eyes on him. Natawa na lamang si Kalonice sa pamilyang kasama niya.

They are an ideal family. She's happy to see them so close like this, like they are just friends. Gwynedd and Larry are ideal parents too. She adore them. She's proud that this family is taking good care of them. It feels like she was their child too. It feel like they are a family.

"Alright, hija. We will come back to see you again tomorrow, okay? You'll get better soon," pamamaalam na ni Gwynedd at siya'y nilapitan upang halikan sa pisngi. Kalonice smiled at her before nodding.

Tumayo na din si Caedmon. "See you tomorrow too, Kalonice." He beamed a smile at her before looking at Midas who is glaring at him. He flash a smirk for him and left. Isinama nila Gwynedd at Larry ang dalawa niyang kapatid matapos nilang magpaalam sa kaniya.

Pinanood ni Kalonice na sila'y makalabas. Isinarado ni Midas ang pinto. Pinagmasdan niya ang binata na lumapit sa couch kung nasaan ang isang bag at ito'y kumuha ng bathrobe.

"Maliligo lang ako. I'll turn the TV on to keep you entertained," he muttered and went to the TV to insert the cord in the socket.

"Ano namang panonoorin ko d'yan? Hindi naman ako mahilig manood ng TV,"

Lumingon sa kaniya si Midas. "What do you want to watch then? Want to watch me bath?" may kalokohan nitong sabi bago ngumisi. Her cheeks turned pink.

"B-Bastos ka!" she spluttered before shifting her sight of him away nervously.

She heard Midas chuckled. He move towards her. Her throat went parch as her heart began fluttering wildly. She felt her body was on fire as Midas move closer to her even more. And when her fingertips landed on her arm softly, chills through her nerves smoothly. She was electrified.

"Call me if you need anything, okay? Here, use my phone to entertain yourself. You can watch Netflix there since what's on the television are useless" He gently kissed her head and smiled.

Her eyes flickered to him with surprise. "Y-You will entrust me your cellphone?"

"I trust you. I want you to know that I'm hiding nothing. I will share everything I have with you. I'm leaving my self open. I know I can trust you, Kalonice," he whispered with sincerity.

Hot tears welled Kalonice's eyes. Her lips began trembling as her throat hurts from holding her self from crying. Midas gave her a look filled with adoration and trust. She pulled him and lock Midas in her arms.

No word came out of her throat. Ang dami niyang gustong sabihin pero hindi niya alam kung ano ang uunahin at kung saan magsisimula. Her heart is overflowing and bursting in joy; it made her truly happy. She doesn't know what she did to make Midas trust her like this, but she swear to God, she will never break his trust again.

She want him to feel the tremors in her chest because of her heart. At keast that way, he will understand what she was feeling, the impact of his words and sincerity made her feel that way.

"Thank you..." That's all she could say. Out of millions of words she wanted to tell him, out of hundreds of feelings she's feeling, only the words 'thank you' came out because it's the best reply she think she could give.

Midas chuckled. He's expecting more from her, it's not what he was expecting she wi say, but it's enough. At least she responded.

Kumalas na sila sa yakap. Binuhat niya si Kalonice at inupo ito. Isinandal niya ang katawan nito sa patong ng mga unan at nang makasiguro ay pumasok na siya sa banyo upang maligo.

Kalonice opened his phone. Wala na itong password pero iyon pa din ang lockscreen wallpaper niya. She giggled because of their cuteness at kinalikot na ang cellphone ni Midas.

The apps are organised in folders. He also have games which her instincts says that they are for his siblings. May app din kasi dito for nursery rhymes. May dress up games, My Talking Tom and My Talking Angela, may Pou, at kung ano-ano pang laro.

Then, in another folder named 'Games (2)'. Inside them are online games like Wild Rift, Mobile Legends, PUBG, Fortnite, and Call of Duty.

She closes the folder and went to his gallery. Tatlo lamang ang albums dito. One is named with 'Yzaguirre Army', second was named 'Miss President', and lastly was 'Family'.

Napangiti na lamang si Kalonice at binuksan ang album ni Contessa. He got half a thousand pictures with videos of her. She started from the bottom in which Contessa's very first picture lies. Nanggigil siya at nakagat ang hinlalaki. She swipe the screen to the right and it was a video. She played it to watch it.

"Welcome to this cruel world, my pretty sister," Midas whimper while playing with her tiny hand. She wrapped her fingers on him. Midas gasped before giggling.

"Damn. Look at her tiny hand. She's so gorgeous..."

Mahinang natawa si Kalonice at nagpatuloy sa pagba-browse sa mga litrato ni Contessa. This album shows her development and growth and she loves it. Kalonice loves babies, she adores them. They're little and innocent. She want to tuck them in her arms and rock them to sleep. They are so pure that seeing one could easily brighten up your day.

Binusog niya ang sarili sa mga litrato ng mga kapatid ni Midas. She also look at his family pictures. Napapangiti na lamang siya sa tuwing makikita kung gaano kaperpekto ang pamilya nila. They are each other's blessings.

She touch the assistive touch to go to the Homescreen ngunit iba ang napindot niya. Hindi niya alam pero may kung anong kutob ang namuo sa kaniyang dibdib nang makita ang 'Hide albums'. Hesistant, but she still tap it. It showed an album na agad niya namang pinindot upang makita ang laman.

Na dapat pala ay hindi na.

It was just a compilation of pictures of him...with Jarrah.

Nakaramdam siya ng paninikip ng dibdib habang iniisa-isa ang mga litrato. Nanubig ang kaniyang mga mata at hindi niya alam kung bakit. Hindi niya alam pero nasasaktan siya. Hindi dahil naiinggit siya o nagseselos, kundi para kay Midas.

Napakalayo ng Midas na nasa litrato sa Midas na nakakaharap niya ngayon. His smile is purer than anything else. Just... the way he looks at her tells how much he loves her. It was mostly her pictures. Namamangha na lamang siya dahil napakaganda talaga ni Jarrah even without any make up. She still look pretty with her messy bed hair, or even while sleeping. She did not know what gone wrong at nakuha pa nitong lokohin ang lalaking mahal na mahal siya.

She played a video. It was Midas, surprising Jarrah with a pink Alterio CM car.

"Happy first anniversary, baby!" Bakas sa boses nito kung gaano siya kasaya habang gulat na gulat naman si Jarrah.

"This... This is an Alterio!"

"Yup! I asked Dad a favor if he could talk AA's CEO since they are friends, because I want to gift you a one-and-only customised car. Actually, I was the one who drew its interior and exterior and everything, and they made it. That's yours because I love you."

"Midas..." Jarrah called with her voice cracking. She went to him, close enough to block the camera; the video ended and Kalonice knew what happened next: they kissed.

Kalonice left his gallery at pinunasan ang kaniyang mga luha. She entertained her self by playing Mobile Legends upang malimutan ang mga nakita. She didn't knew anything about the game but she still played it.

Sofia D Pers (Miya): Ang obob mo naman Pharsa!

Android 19 (Dyrroth): Tang*n@ mo Pharsa bobo mo!

Nabibigla na lamang si Kalonice dahil sa mga nababasa. Wala naman siyang kaalam-alam na siya ang pinapatungkulan ng mga ito. She lose the rank game and lose one star. Meanwhile, her teammates reported her out of frustration dahil sila'y natalo.

She went to the Shop at bumili ng kung ano-ano. Sagana sa diamonds ang game account ni Midas kaya naman marami siyang nabili. She bought skins, rolled draws, sent gifts to random people and the rest is history.

At nang lumabas si Midas, tinanong siya nito, "What are you doing?"

Umangat ang tingin ni Kalonice sa kaniya na naka-bathrobe lang. Nanlaki ang kaniyang mga mata at mabilis na umiwas ng tingin. "Uhm, naglalaro ako ng Mobile Legends," sabi niya na siyang nagpatigil kay Midas.

"Paano ba laruin 'to? Diba sikat na laro' to? Grabe 'yung mga kalaro ko kanina, ang sasama ng ugali. Tawagin ba namang bobo' yung kasama namin. Minura pa! Nga pala, para saan 'yung gifting? Madami akong niregaluhan, eh. Tapos bumili din ako ng skins. Para saan ba ang mga' yon?"×

Nalaglag ang panga ni Midas at nagmamadali siyang nilapitan. Kinuha nito ang kaniyang cellphone at tiningnan ang account niya; bumaba ng isang star ang kanina'y full bar na Mythic niya. Ang pagkakaalam niyang ten thousand diamonds ay naging eight thousand na lang. She bought all his unobtained heroes in the Shop using his diamonds too!

Natakpan niya ang bibig. Kinabahan si Kalonice dahil sa nakuha niyang ekspresyon. He was being flooded by messages, thanking him for the skins he sent them.

Hindi niya alam kung dapat ba siyang magalit o mainis dahil sa ginawa ni Kalonice---hindi niya alam. Bigla na lamang nablangko ang utak niya.

Bumaling siya kay Kalonice na natatakot.

He sighed.

"It's okay. I'm not playing it for a week already after all. But you should do customs or VS A.I if you want to learn using the heroes. And do not just spend diamonds," mahinahon niyang sabi at ibinalik ang cellphone kay Kalonice.

Nakahinga naman ito ng maluwag bago tumango. Umalis na si Midas sa kaniyang tabi at kumuha ng damit upang makapagbihis.

She was playing seriously, learning all the tricks and ways on controlling the movement of the character hero she have chosen. Madali lang naman pala ito. Kaya noong natuto siya ay bumalik siya sa rank game para ibalik ang nawala niyang star.

Her team won, and she was the MVP. Tinigilan na din niya agad ito at nanood na lamang ng movie sa Netflix.

Midas turned the lights off at siya'y tinabihan. He moved her to have some space beside her for his body. "I'm gonna hug you," he notified ngunit nakayakap na siya kay Kalonice nang siya'y magsabi.

Kalonice froze but she remain watching the movie.

"Midas?"

"Hmmm?"

Kalonice turn his phone off at ipinatong ito sa kaniyang tiyan. Tumitig siya sa itaas kung saan kadiliman lamang ang nakikita niya.

"Bakit ako?" She asked out of the blue at bumaling sa kaniyang katabi. Umayos ng higa si Midas at tumingin din sa kaniya.

"Why not you? I don't know either but I like you as much as my parents do," sagot nito at mas hinigpitan ang pagkakayakap sa kaniya.

"Madami pa namang ibang babae sa mundo. Mas maganda. Mas sexy. Mas matalino---"

"The problem is, they are not you. They are not Kalonice." Nagsalubong ang kaniyang mga kilay, "Why are you saying this all of a sudden?" tanong niya.

Umiwas ng tingin si Kalonice. She wanted to say it was because of the album of them, together and happy. But she won't tell. Wala pa siyang karapatang magselos. Wala pa siyanv karapatang maging possessive o kung ano pa man dahil hindi pa naman malinaw ang kung ano mang namamagitan sa kanila ni Midas. Yes, they are dating. But things are escalating quickly that she's losing a grasp on it.

"Wala naman. Nabibigla lang kasi ako. Parang noon lang, pinatanggal at binan mo ako sa trabaho ko. Tapos naging workmates tayo. Then hanggang sa inaya mo na akong mag-date. Naiilang ako. Hindi ako sanay na may lalaking tinatrato ako ng katulad ng ginagawa mo. Naninibago ako, nahihiya. Hindi ko alam ang gagawin ko. Dapat bang hayaan lang kita at pagbigyan? Hindi ko alam dahil wala naman akong karanasan sa ganitong bagay..."

Huminga siya ng malalim at naghintay sa isasagot ni Midas.

"Want a freestyle relationship?"

Kumunot ang noo ni Kalonice. "Freestyle relationship? Ano 'yon? Meron bang ganon?"

"Wala. Pauso at imbento ko lang. It's exclusive only for the both of us. We will date until we became sure of each other even more. Like, the typical getting to know each other stage. But we won't put us a label yet since you're still unsure and confused. We will make things official once we know each other better. How about that?"

"Eh?"

Mahinang tumawa si Midas at mahigpit siyang niyakap. "Edi parang ang weird naman n'on? We're dating each other yet... We're dating pa lang pala pero bakit kung makayakap ka sa akin, parang tayo na?" Puna niya.

Midas snorted as he bury his face on her neck. Nakiliti si Kalonice at siya'y iniwasan. "B-Baka mabaho ako---"

"You don't. You actually smell good. Ang bango mo," putol ni Midas sa kaniyang sasabihin at siya'y inamoy-amoy.

Nailang lalo si Kalonice at siya'y tinapik. "A-Ano ka ba. Tumigil ka. Nakakahiya sa mga multong nanonood..."

Dahil sa kaniyang sinabi ay natigilan si Midas. He look at her like she's the weirdest person. He could not believe that she concerns about the ghosts that might be watching them.

"So? It's not like that they could harm us---" Nagulat silang pareho nang may kung anong nahulog at gumulong sa sahig.

Mabilis na bumangon si Midas at kinuha ang kaniyang cellphone kay Kalonice. Binuhay niya ang flashlight at mabilis na lumapit sa pader kung nasaan ang ilaw at binuksan ang mga ilaw. Napatingin sila sa mansanas na nasa sahig bago sa isa't isa.

Mabilis na napa-sign of the cross si Kalonice. Nanlamig na lamang si Midas bago bumalik at pinulot ang mansanas saka ito ibinalik sa lamesa. Tumabi siya kay Kalonice ulit.

"Hindi mo ba papatayin ang mga ilaw?" tanong ni Kalonice na nahintatakutan.

"Lights on is better. We're safe with the lights on. Let's sleep. Good night." Natawa na lamang si Kalonice dahil sa sinabi niya. Midas hugged her again at tinandayan ang paa niyang hindi na-dislocate.

"Good night din, Midas." May ngiti sa labi niyang bulong at pumikit na.

Ngunit dumaan ang ilang minuto ng pagkakatulog ay muling bumukas ang mga mata ni Kalonice.

Napangisi siya, bago tumingin sa katabing si Midas.

Hinaplos niya ang pisngi nito at pinagmasdan habang nangingisi pa din. "How unfortunate. Fate is really playing games with me."

Unti-unti niyang inalapit ang mukha niya kay Midas saka ito hinalikan. Doon ay nawalan siya ng malay at bumalik sa pagkakatulog.

Midas opened his eyes and stared at Kalonice.

'It was not Edana,' he said on the back of his mind.