13

You didn't want to go stay with your parents so you decided to stay with your grandma. She would hopefully keep her questions to a minimum.
You were in the spare room unpacking when you turned around to see her watching you.
"Hey grandma" you smile.
"Sorry for telling your secret. It slipped out"
"It's okay" you shrug and sit on the bed.
"Are you okay?" She sat next to you.
"Not really...I don't know"
"Well tell me what's wrong"
"Erik...the baby's dad...we got into an argument. I seen him talking to another girl and it made me jealous. She gave him her number and I blew up on him but rightfully so. He has a past of cheating and I'm afraid he'll do the same to me"
"Has he cheated on you?"
"I don't know. I don't think so but I don't know"
"Ask him. You can't assume things. We all have a past and yes, I know it's scary letting someone into your life but you're having a child with this man that you barely know. Nows the time to get to know him"
"But I don't trust him. He's cheated in his past relationships. How do I know he won't do it to me?"
"You don't. But if you love him, you have to trust him. Give him a chance to prove himself. Now I don't know what all happened so I'm speaking as middle ground. Is there more to the story?"
"Well...he's my ex best friends dad. He's 40..."
"Y/N, that's a sugar daddy" your grandma laughed.
"It's not like that, I promise. He wasn't buying me things or giving me an allowance. I was staying with him after his daughter trashed my dorm"
"So your ex best friends dad? That's messy"
"Yea...I know that now. I guess at the time I assumed we would actually work but he's older than me, he expects more from me"
"Follow your gut. Not your heart. If your gut is telling you to leave, get the hell out of there"
****
Three Weeks Later

It was Saturday morning, the day of your graduation. It took a while to get here but you finally made it. You caught an Uber to the campus and your parents and grandparents would meet you there. You took pictures with your friends and got emotional thinking about leaving them behind when you moved. Your phone vibrated in your hand and you looked at it. It was a long message from Erik who you haven't spoken to since you walked out. You stepped away from your friends to read it.

Y/N, I'm sorry for how shit went down. I shouldn't have let you leave. I should have stopped you and explained everything but I was upset and I didn't want to say anything that would completely ruin us. I love you. When I said it, I meant it. It's been boring as hell being away from you for the past few weeks. I wanted to reach out but I also wanted to give you space. You deserved space. I promise you that I didn't and didn't plan on sleeping with that girl. We were honestly just talking and she slipped me her phone number. Why would I risk losing you or upsetting you when I knew you would find out? I may have a past for being unfaithful but that was the past. I really wanted us to work out and I'm sad that we didn't. There's so much more I want to say but I'll end it with this, you're an amazing and beautiful woman. Congratulations on your graduation and I wish you the best with whatever you do in life. I hope you stay safe and stay happy. I wanted to be there but I didn't want to upset you. If you want to stop by my place after graduation, I got you a gift. I love you and I always will. I'm proud of you - Erik

Fuck you, pregnancy hormones.
You were crying and ruining your makeup.
"Girl, are you okay?" You friend Tasha pulled you into a hug.
"Yea, Sorry" you sniff. Tasha takes a napkin and cleans up your face.
****
As you cross the stage and receive your diploma, all you could think about is Erik. You wished he was here. You wanted him to be here. The argument was petty on both parts and you wanted to reconcile and try a relationship with him. He was worth a chance. You thought about what your grandma said and even though she didn't know the whole story, she was speaking facts.

 You thought about what your grandma said and even though she didn't know the whole story, she was speaking facts