Chapter 11 - Little Lost Stars

It was now around 9:30pm and Kyouka was leading Momo to a small basketball field near their home so she could show the black-haired girl a couple of tricks on the new skateboards they had gotten.

Though Momo thought they were heading home, she was completely wrong about the situation, and it left the girl completely stunned when she saw where she was.

It was dark, almost reaching a full night environment and here they were, in an empty street by a basketball field that seemed to be only used by a bunch of high schoolers after school hours or thugs that liked to smoke at around midnight.

As Kyouka entered the field as she skated on her skateboard, she looked back to see Momo was in complete stress. The purple-haired girl skated back to her, determined to try and convince her again.

"No, no." Momo said as she put her hands up towards Kyouka, not letting her get closer. "I said I had to get home! Do you realise how much trouble I could get in right now?".

The girl was right. Despite her wanting to live her life and have fun, it was night. The street lampposts were listen up bright and the muffled car engine noises on the road were heard vaguely. Kyouka sighed as she stopped in front of Momo and got off of her board, kicking it up into her hand.

"Why are you so caught up with that boring life? What's so bad about your parents that they don't let you do this?" Kyouka asked, tilting her head in confusion. Momo sighed.

"As it might seem, you probably don't know what it's like. This seems like a normal daily routine to you!" Momo exclaimed, facepalming with her right hand as she held her skateboard with her left. Kyouka got back onto her skateboard as she skateboarded a couple laps around the field.

"Well, it kind of is. Not like my parents give two fucks if I stay go out." Kyouka said, trying to do a couple of tricks as she skated by. Momo entered the field as she watched Kyouka skate.

"Well, it isn't normal for me. I'm sorry, but I have to get home." Momo spoke. With that, she turned on her heels as she headed towards the exiting gate. Kyouka stopped skating as her eyes widened. Her attention shifted back to Momo who was about to leave.

For some reason, the darkness around her completely wrapped her mind at that exact moment. A familiar feeling of loneliness came to haunt her head as she saw another person walk away from her, just like so many people had done. Just when Kyouka thought she found someone who wouldn't just disappear for their own good, forgetting about her completely, it happened again.

The familiar feeling of being dumped, casted to the side. As she watched Momo's every step towards the gate, the vague care engine background noises and the silence of the night over-ruled her mind. It was the only thing she could hear, as well as the echoing of Momo's footsteps.

As the school Vice President was about to push the gate open and leave, Kyouka called.

"Wait!". Momo turned around at an instant. Her facial expression seemed to reflected annoyance above all, but it soon turned soft as she observed Kyouka.

The purple-haired girl looked lonely, troubled. Her voice had seemed panicked, as if she were a lost puppy howling in the empty streets, looking for shelter. Her usually cocky expression disappeared, being replaced with the rare puppy eyes, almost as if she were about to cry. It was a weakness, a weakness Momo had never seen on the girl before.

Kyouka seemed so desperate, reaching out her hand as if she were reaching for the stars, and Momo was the star this time. Momo quickly moved her hand away from the gate as she looked at Kyouka. The purple-haired girl looked downwards in slight shame, noticing that she had shown a little too much emotion for her own good.

"Um... Are you sure you can't stay?" Kyouka asked, glancing upwards. "Not even 15 minutes?". Momo stood on spot, thinking about what to say. She seemed speechless. Her mind soon reconnected with the world as she came to the conclusion that she could spare a quarter of an hour.

If Kyouka really needed it, she wasn't one to refuse.

"Sure... but not much more, my parents, they'll... they'll be mad if they find out." Momo explains. Kyouka's expression brightens up a little as a small soft smile creeps on her face.

Not knowing much about skateboarding itself, Momo just sat on the board as she rolled over to Kyouka. The purple-haired girl giggled a lot as she watched the school's Vice President waddle on a skateboard. Momo soon got closer to Kyouka and Kyouka sat down on her own board, almost as if they were going to have a small discussion.

There was a small silence, though Kyouka seems curious about the black-haired girl.

"Why'd you keep mentioning your parents so much? Seems like you live in a prison." Kyouka commented. Momo shrugged.

"I guess they're just... strict. Never really was allowed to do anything other than what they said. And it's still that way." Momo explained as she picked up a small stick on the ground and traced the stone floor. Kyouka tilted her head as she observed the figure that seemed so focused on her tracing with the wooden stick.

"That's weird." Kyouka commented. "I could be dead and I feel like my parents wouldn't even attend my funeral. That's how much they don't care about what I do.".

"Like, they don't care? At all?" Momo asked, surprised. She dropped the small stick as she looked at Kyouka right in the eyes. Kyouka nodded.

"Yeah. They don't care. Too busy working." Kyouka explained.

"Wow, I wish I had that kind of freedom..." Momo spoke, stunned and almost amazed. Kyouka scoffed.

"It's amazing, but it sucks at the same time." Kyouka explained.

"How so?" The taller girl asked.

"Well, I haven't had dinner with my parents for as long as I can remember. They usually forget about my birthdays and just overall ignore me." Kyouka said.

"I'd give anything for my parents to just keep their eyes off of me for at least a second. It's crazy how controlling they are." Momo explained. Kyouka's eyes widened.

"Are you serious? Your parents actually acknowledge your existence. Do you realise how lucky you are?" Kyouka exclaimed, ending her sentence with a sad chuckle. Momo laughed after her.

"Maybe we should switch lives for a day, huh?" Momo commented. Kyouka smiled as she glanced down at the cold stone ground of the basketball field.

"Maybe we should.".

***

Momo waved to Jirou who was at the bottom of the building as she managed to get onto the balcony of her room. To her surprise, the glass door was still a little open, so she wasn't locked out. Jirou grabbed Momo's skateboard from the bottom floor as she threw it up powerful at Momo.

Momo panicked, though she successfully managed to catch it. She put it under her arm, waving back at the purple-haired girl before she quickly disappeared into the shadows, heading home herself.

Momo sighed as she walked towards the glass doors and entered her room. She put the skateboard down as she locked the doors of her balcony, covering them with the white curtain. Momo quietly pushed the skateboard under her bed as she quickly headed to her closet to slip on her pyjamas.

As soon as she was done, she jumped into bed, sneaking under her covers as she drifted off to sleep, thinking about the evening she had just experienced.

It was different. It was fun. She enjoyed herself. Perhaps sneaking out could be a second life for her that filled her in on the world of a regular 17-year-old.