XXII

It's too easy

It's too easy. Yeri thinks to herself as she walks stealthily in front of the tall corporate building. It's nearly 5 pm and she knows employees will start to rush out after the days end. She's been here for an hour but she didn't really mind. It gave her time to sort out what she was going to say and how was she going to say it. She's wearing heels, one of them is wobbly on purpose, it makes her leg shake and her foot twist but it's all part of the plan.

The figure she was waiting for approaches. He's dressed in a fitted button up shirt tucked into black slacks that accentuate his height. For a second, Yeri tilts her head in appreciation of the mans build and his ever-so-gorgeous face. Ugh. How is it fair she gets all the cute guys. If he wasn't a part of the plan maybe she could allow herself to like him. But no. There wasn't any room for distractions.

When he exits the building, Yeri takes it as her cue to stand straight against the wall she was leaning against. She fixes her hair and pulls down the neckline of her dress before putting her phone to her ear in an act and struts in his direction confidently albeit the annoying heels. Once she's close enough for him to hear, the act begins.

"The meeting was scheduled for Wednesday," she channels her most professional yet authoritative tone. She's loud enough for no one else to hear except for the boy who she was hoping would turn her head to look at her. "I understand why they couldn't make it but I can't schedule them again for this week." No voice comes from the other end of the phone. Of course, there's no one on the line and she's only pretending. It works when she finally catches his attention, it's only momentarily, a glance in her direction and Yeri knows now is the time to act.

She lets her foot naturally wobble and twist lightly, it was easy because the shoe was already damaged enough. A surprised yelp that's half real and half fake leaves her and for a split second she thinks about how embarrassing it will be if he doesn't help her and leaves her to fall flat on her face in front of everybody. Yeri thinks that would probably be Karma's way of getting back at her for the amount of lies she's told and the rumours she's spread.

Thankfully, whatever spirits that live above aren't pissed with her yet. She feels a strong grasp on her upper arm and a hand steadying her on her shoulder. She tries to act as discombobulated as possible, keeping in mind she needs to be believable.

"Are you okay?" The male voice on her left asks urgently as Yeri — for theatrical purposes — stumbles a little more before steadying herself. She looks at the man up front. Ugh, he's even cuter all close up. But doesn't allow herself to be sidetracked as she tries to stand straight. His hand still lingers on her arm and she pays attention to making sure she looks as distraught as possible.

"I think so," she says with a slightly distressed tone. "My shoe just," she gestures at it in fake irritation. "I'm sorry, I'm just having a terrible day."

The man chuckles, a charming sound leaving an equally charming face. "That's alright. We all have our days. Can you stand now?"

"Let me..." she attempts to stand up but this time the heel actually snaps apart, leaving her stumbling even more. It's all good for the act though because he stands even closer to her to make sure she doesn't trip.