vii

2016. 11. 21.

"you are so weird."

half of nct were eating lunch on the cafeteria when donghyuck just had to point it out.

mark, who just waved and smiled at renjun who's already leaving after finishing his lunch, threw his gaze to donghyuck. "what?" he lazily said.

"you're weird. your cheeks are going to be torn by smiling too much," the younger retorted.

a shrug is what mark replied. "am not. i always smile," he defended himself.

"but you don't smile like a person in love," donghyuck rolled his eyes and tapped doyoung's shoulder who sat beside him.

"what?" doyoung asked.

donghyuck pointed at mark. "you see it too. he's acting strange these past few days."

"i told you i'm not. what's the matter with me smiling? am i not allowed to be happy?" mark clicked his tongue and continued to eat his lunch.

that made donghyuck squint his eyes. "and what could possibly make you happy?" his voice was hinted with accusations.

"why are you so obsessed with me again? focus on your life, dude. and what makes me happy? our fans make me happy. now there you have it, so stick your nose out of my business," it might sound like mark is very much pissed with the younger, but the truth is that's just how he deals with him.

on screen, it might look like he lets donghyuck mess with him all the time. but behind the cameras, mark knew how to make donghyuck stop on being intrusive and annoying him. he's still the older one, and donghyuck also knew his limitations with playing around. it just happened to be their dynamics and they never once had an argument about it.

before the two would end up hitting each other's nerves and put disruption into their peaceful lunch, doyoung decided to stop donghyuck. "let him be, donghyuck. please, can you guys go on a cease fire just for this day?" he sighed, not in the mood to lecture them.

"i'm just asking and he's being cranky and all," the youngest of the group pouted.

if only mark can roll his eyes, he would've done it. sadly, he can't. sucks to be him. "it's because you're calling me weird," is what he said.

"i'm just describing what i'm seeing," and there goes donghyuck again with his endless rebuts.

"you know what—"

mark was cut off by johnny who sat at the other side by the table but happened to hear them bickering. "one more word from you two. you aren't the only one sitting on this table, should you really argue now?"

when they said johnny is the scariest member, he really is. especially now that the group is at their peak emotions because of the practices that never seemed to end. they're a month away from the comeback and they weren't getting enough rests.

the two pressed their lips into thin lines and mumbled a soft sorry.

doyoung can only shake his head at the two. they're just like that but later, you can watch them chase each other like kids.

after their lunch, taeyong got a call from their manager that the choreographer will be gone for an hour so he had to lead the practice first. the group immediately went up again.

not mark, though.

he excused himself that he'll just go to the restroom but he made his way to the room where renjun likes to stay at.

he's been there, only once. he never returned to that room but suddenly, he had the urge to go to it and hope that he'll find renjun there.

mark is never the type to skip practice, but now that the choreographer will be away from an hour, he'll consider it as his rest.

when he arrived at the short hallway where the only door was at, he heaved an encouraging sigh and tried to tame his hair.

like the first time he was there, it was dark and silent. it isn't any different from a scene of a horror movie where a ghost would suddenly grab his ankle. this time, mark has his phone and he used it to light his way.

when the light spots the floor, a smile peeked to the canadian's lips.

there lies renjun who was sleeping on a sideward position, using his own arm as a pillow.

he quietly approached the sleeping one. it must be uncomfortable, lying on a cold floor. every trainee have done that, even mark himself. if they were given a ten minutes break, three fourths of them would choose to sleep on the floor than to eat or go out.

it wasn't long enough when renjun fell asleep so the soft rustles made him open his eyes.

what greeted him was the sight of mark on one knee, holding up his phone as a flashlight towards him.

he tried to cover his eyes with his arm and mumbled, "hyung?"

"when you told me you like this place i didn't taught you were serious," mark chuckled and sat properly on the floor.

renjun also sat upright and leaned against the wall, rubbing his eyes. "no one would find me here," he muttered.

"but i found you," mark sheepishly said.

"hmm. i'm also wondering why," renjun chuckled. "aren't you supposed to be at practice?"

well, it's not necessary to say he's bunking off. so mark just said, "we have a free hour today. and how about you, you just ate and you're already sleeping? isn't that what babies do?"

[a/n: no mark bc thats what i ONLY do in my life;;; plus if yk the hyungwon and baby siwoo sleeping while eating scene then i love u]

"just really tired," renjun said, followed by a yawned.

must've been a wrong timing. "sleep more. i'll see you next time," he was about to stand up but renjun reached out for his wrist.

which he removed as soon as he realized what he did. "y-you don't have to. you can stay here."

"but you want to sleep. it's okay, we can just hang out next time," mark assured him. and yes, he's sure there's a next time. they're friends now.

"no—"

so he is the stubborn type, mark thought. "let's just both sleep. i'm tired too, anyways," he cuts him off. before renjun could say something, he started choosing a playlist from his phone. "i hope you enjoy playing music while sleeping because i do," he added.

"i also like it," renjun answered.

the faint light from the phone's screen is renjun's only source of light to see mark. yet it was enough to show how ethereal looking mark really is. how his face looked so perfectly sculpted, making some think that maybe god really has his favorites.

after picking a playlist that contains soft and acoustic songs, mark made sure to turn on the do not disturb mode of his phone before putting it down between them. he's sure taeyong will bombard him with where-are-you texts.

he laid down the floor and put his arm under his head for support. his eyes were closed but he can hear the soft movements renjun did, also lying beside him.

the song the one with the snowflake by i belong to the zoo brought serenity into the small room. it also sent renjun into his slumber quicker than expected.

mark had his eyes closed, but he can't seem to fall asleep. every word from the song was hitting him everywhere, telling him a message that he had to decipher.

he fluttered his eyes opened and turned sideways to face renjun. he couldn't see his face, but his presence is already enough. knowing that he's there beside him is enough.

donghyuck asked him: what makes him happy?

mark already has a true answer for himself. it isn't a wrong answer, but he's scared to say it. he's scared to tell people that maybe... maybe renjun really makes him happy.

㊙️

search the lyrics for THE ONE WITH THE SNOWFLAKE by I BELONG TO THE ZOO👀👀👀