Twenty Two: Space

"Hey Copper. How's it going?" Sans asks, walking up to me, holding two burgers.

"Well, could be worse." I give him a half hearted smile. 

"Still not allowed to go into town?"

"No, haven't gotten the okay yet." Seed told me that Night's looking for me on his last visit, and Pen told all the... whatever their name was to watch out for me, so I can't go near civilization. Sans knows this and he's been sneaking me food while I hide.

"How's the jacket fit?"

I look down at my new outfit. I grew out of my old shirt from Star Village, so Sans gave me one of his spare hoodies. It's mainly yellow, with a blue hood and pocket. It's slightly loose, but comfortable. 

"It's fine," I respond. Sans manages to smile even more.

"Well, I cooked up some food for you. Want it?" 

I nod and he gives me a burger. Sans works a part time job at Grillby's, the local restaurant, and can make all sorts of fast food. He's really good at it too.

"Wow, it's good. Nice job."

"Thanks." He sits down next to me and starts eating his. "How you doing? I bet it's hard being alone."

"Well, it gives me time to think, which is nice, since I didn't get much of that at my old home. And it's nice to see the stars. I like stargazing," I said, looking at the sky.

"Well, I guess you can say they're out of this world." Sans jokes. 

"Well duh, we're in space," I say, laughing. "But that was a stellar pun." Sans gives me a praising look.

"Excellent, you're learning. So, off topic..." He trails off, suddenly serious. "Have you been working on your skills?"

I look down sheepishly. "No, not really."

"Well, not to sound like Papyrus or anything, but since you have no magic you need a way to defend yourself, this is your best bet." Sans gives me a look. His tone does remind me of Papyrus, his younger brother who I met on my first and only day in Starrin Town. He's tall, friendly, and responsible, a Royal Guard in training and partial scientist. Papyrus was shocked when he heard I don't have magic and decided I need to learn how to defend myself, which resulted in Sans giving me one of his big cooking knives. Now that I can't go into town and Papyrus has to train to get into the Royal Guard, Papyrus told Sans he needs to make sure I work on fighting. Sans and I didn't really care, but I know how to fight back just in case.

"Yeah, I get it. Speaking of, how is Papyrus?"

"He's doing great. Alphys and him have a big project going on now that he hasn't told me about, but it seems pretty exciting. But he can only work on it every now and then, since he's got guard training work." Sans pauses and takes a big bite out of his burger. "He's worried about you, though."

"Seems cool. Tell him I said hi, and I'm doing well."

Sans nods and stands up, finishing his burger. "Welp, I have sentry duty. See you later."

I wave and he walks away, teleporting after a bit and leaving me in silence. I stand up and remove a loose rock by me from the ground, revealing a large knife. I pick it up and start reviewing my moves. Jab. Block. The normal. I settle into a pattern, rhythmically swinging it around. I've done this for who knows how long when something wraps around my arm with the knife. I look at it and see it's a vine. Flicking my wrist, I throw my knife to my other hand and cut the vine off.

"Hey! That hurt!" A voice behind me says. I turn around to see a small yellow flower glaring at me.

"Oh, hey Seed," I say. "Nice of you to stop by."

"Nice of you to not stab me in a fatal spot," He responds.

"Look, I said that was an accident and it was. I'm sorry," I say annoyed. Seed rolls his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. So, are you doing good?" Seed says. There's something in his voice I can barely detect, but being the former Guardian of Positivity, I catch it. He sounds nervous, as if he feels something is about to go wrong.

"I'm doing fine. You?"

"Well, as good as you can get for a soulless being living with a bunch of idiots," He responds, making me chuckle. Seed's constantly complaining about Patch and Pen, but I can tell he cares deeply about them.

"Speaking of, how's Patch?" I ask. I haven't seen him in a while, so it's nice to hear how he's doing. I wish he could hang out with me more, but I know if he found me he would take me back to Star Village and I don't want to return.

"He's doing good. Kinda mad last time I checked, but at least he isn't dead."

"Why was he mad?"

Seed pauses, looking nervous. "Well... he got into an argument with Night."

I roll my eyes. 

"Patch and Pen ended up leaving Night in Dreamcrash."

I give him a confused look.

"Your home AU." He gives me an 'I'm annoyed so please shut it' kind of look. "Anyways, Patch and Pen have been arguing about it since. Patch wants to keep looking for you, Pen says if you aren't spreading a Code Virus then he doesn't care. And from what I've seen you don't have a Code Virus."

"So, will they be looking for me then?" 

"Patch still wants to, but I don't think they will. Especially now that there's a second destroyer."

I remember the things Patch mentioned about destroyers from our time together in Star Village. They sounded awful. Patch said there was only one in this multiverse, but now there are two? That's not good at all.

"But, speaking of Patch and Pen and all that heck, I have a different reason that I came here."

"Oh come on, you aren't here just to see me?" I tease. Seed keeps a serious face.

"Nope. I got another reason, but I don't think you're gonna like it. I'll be right back." Seed disappears into the ground. I wait for him to return, remembering how we met. He was monitoring this AU as I teleported here and he found me not long after I met Sans. We started talking, but I never mentioned anything about my past for a while. Eventually, Seed started visiting in his free time, and I told him more about me. We opened up and eventually became sort of friends.

"Alright, I'm back." Seed pops back up and someone is with him this time. Someone dressed in purple with a bit of black and gold, a skeleton that I recognize and makes me spark with anger. 

"Hey Dream," Night says.