Acknowledgements and the Writing Process

So. You finally made it. (That'sthequoteright-)

Hey, welcome to the end of the book! I have to say, this plot has certainly changed since I first came up with the idea in June of last year (2020).

The original plot for Dreamcrash was much different. It started with the concept of a third brother, one that was a balance of both positive and negative, and evolved from there. The original told the story of Nightmare, who after learning what happened in the future, took a negative apple out of curiosity. This caused a crash that deleted Dream's powers. Dream ran away to a different AU, one that was never decided. Nightmare left his home AU to search for Dream, looking by himself. Eventually, weak and tired, he stumbled into the Antivoid and taken in by Error 404. Nightmare eventually started becoming an error, turning into Blackout. However, he soon realized Error 404 was a destroyer and left, continuing his search for Dream. Since he was an error, Blackout was pushed out of AU after AU, eventually travelling to another multiverse and settling in an abandoned AU, where he made friends with an AU travelling human.

Quite different from what the story is today.

Fast forwarding a few weeks, I elaborated more on Dream and Nightmare and made Blackout his own character. The plot from there was that Error had messed up the coding for Nightmare's AU, causing him to see the future. From there, Patch had stepped in to help fix the code. The story from there on was pretty similar to what it is now, with the exception of the Protectors and Destroyers. Night teamed up with Patch, Path, and Ink to find Dream, eventually getting caught by Error 404 and being forced to made Blackout.

Later on, I revised the whole thing by adding the concept of an unstable multiverse where glitches were normal. Thread and Pen were made to fill the Protector and Destroyer roles. For a while, Pen, Patch, and Ink worked together. I'm not exactly sure when Three was added in, although it wasn't far from when I published this. The decision to remove Ink entirely and add in Seed wasn't made until after I published this book, sometime around chapter 3 or 4. And then the plot solidified into what you have here.

I'd like to thank each and every one of you for sticking around until the end. This was so much fun to write and I hope it was just as fun for you all to read. Seeing your comments, votes, and support, I loved all of it. So thank you all, from the bottom of my heart. I really hope you enjoyed this. 

Oh, and for those who have read it, here's a funny story for you. Before Dreamcrash became this Dreamcrash, as in the story of Night and Copper, it wasn't even about the two. Both were minor characters (As a matter of fact, I don't think Copper existed in this draft). I'd tell you more about this draft, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Once again, thank you all for reading Dreamcrash.

-Marci Nights