Eight: A Light in the Dark

Is it possible to be warm yet cold at the same time? Because that's what it was like. I felt warm, but it was like an empty warm, so it made me cold. My head was empty, my hand gripping the golden apple. And then, with a tug, I close my eyes and pull the apple off the tree.

I've seen it so many times in my head I wasn't sure if it happened or not. In the dreams, the sky grew dark, the light side of the tree died, I corrupted the apple in my hands, the villagers came running at me, ready to kill. 

But that doesn't happen.

I stand there, waiting for it to, but nothing happens. I still feel the sun on me. The only shouts are the playing villagers. I slowly open one eye, then the other. The apple I'm holding is still golden.

Oh my god it's still golden.

I did it. I did it! A feeling of warmth like I've never felt before floods over me. I felt happy, so, so happy, I felt like I could explode. I had the solution to all of my problems, everyone hating me, right in my hands. Dream would be so happy if he were here. He wouldn't have to worry about me being sad ever again. The villagers would see I was a good person and I could be positive too, and Patch would see that me changing the timeline was good. It seemed like a great idea.

So I brought the apple up to my mouth and took a big bite.

To be honest, it didn't taste very good.

I expected instant happiness and was instead met with something else. Something that hurt. I don't think the Guardian of Negativity was supposed to have this much exposure to positive energy. My eyes caught on the dark purple apples on my side of the tree. I reach up and grab one of those. Being very careful to not eat too much, I take a small bite.

It tastes a lot better.

I eat some more, just enough to match the positive energy, but I hear a small crack and realize I had a bit too much. But I'm not corrupting or anything, it's just a small crack below my left eye. I close my eyes, feeling relieved. When I open them again, I noticed my outfit had changed. Wow, like magic. 

The pants and shirt are black, with purple boots. There's also a purple jacket with yellow highlights that goes down to my knees and a dark purple and black belt. I roll up the sleeves on the jacket since I'm kinda hot, and notice the purple and yellow gloves. I also feel something around my neck, which on further inspection appeared to be some sort of oddly designed scarf. I reach up and take off my crown. It's now like Dream's design but with a moon on it. 

I lay down, feeling an odd sensation. I felt... balanced. For once, I wasn't just the Guardian of Negativity who could only feel negative feelings, I was in between. I could feel both equally. I feel happy. Really happy. The kind of happy where for once, I feel like it's going to stay, which makes me happier. 

What would the villagers think of me now? I want to go find out! I jump up and walk towards the village, head up high. It takes almost no practice to focus on the positive side of my Soul and flare my aura. The villagers look up as I walk by. They can sense the positivity, I can tell. And I can feel every one of their emotions, the shock, and hate, and even slight joy. I make my way towards the library. Once I get there, I walk in smiling. Linda looks up at me from where she was reading behind the desk. 

"Oh, hello Night!"

"Hello Linda!"

"You seem to be in a great mood." I sense joy from her. "That's wonderful! And you got a new outfit too. It looks great on you."

"Thanks! You look good today too!" I say before walking to the back of the library. On the way there, I see my reflection in a window. What used to be a normal, negative skeleton, was now the smiling Guardian of Emotions. I head to the back section and look for some good books. I read for a few hours, then get up and leave, waving to Linda on the way out. I have something I want to try before the day is over.

I walk to the edge of the village where the orchard is. I'm able to walk in without anyone stopping me, even though there's plenty of people there. Now that I'm positive, they don't care if I come or not. And that makes me smile even more.

I slowly walk through the orchard, taking in the scenery. It's even better in daylight. I make my way to the hill after the orchard to watch the sunset. It's bright and orange and a thousand times better than the view I get from the Tree of Feelings. Once the sun is down, I teleport back to the Tree of Feelings. It's a bit harder with a Soul, but I manage. Once there, I feel tired, so I lay down and fall asleep almost instantly. I don't have any dreams, just peace. And it's amazing.

I wake up the next day, not sure where I am. I sit up and smell smoke. I take in the area and realize I'm a few meters away from the Tree of Feelings. I walk back over there.

Or, at least, to where it used to be.

I stand, staring at the ashes. Someone burned down the tree. I turn and run into the village to figure out who but run into Ari, Dream's friend. 

"Night! There you are! I've been looking for you."

"Ari, I'm kinda busy, could we-"

"It's Dream."

I freeze. "What? What happened?"

"I don't know. He's missing. He was supposed to be at my house thirty minutes ago, and he's never late!"

"Oh no." I head back to the Tree of Feeling's ashes and look around. I see a note on the ground and read it. It calls me the 'Guardian of Feelings' and says this is my fault. Then it ends with calling me a name I'd prefer to not repeat. I don't recognize the writing. I flip the note over, looking for more clues, and see something written in slightly messy handwriting. 

"If you want to find Dream, you'll have to believe in what he does." I read.

Wow, so helpful. 

What does it mean? Believe in what Dream believes in? Well, Dream's always believed in other universes...

That's it, isn't it. He went to another universe.

"Well, find anything?" Ari says, coming up behind me.

"Yes. I think I know where he is."

"Alright, let's go!"

"Ari...I don't think you can come with. This place is out of your reach. Sorry."

"Oh...Well, then you gotta save Dream for me!"

"I will."

I look around for my Magic Guide and don't find it. Someone must have taken it. I don't care. I already know what I need to know.

"Alright Dream..." I focus on the place Patch has described so many times. What was it called again? Oh yeah, the Art Dome. I focus on that, imagine I'm there, then take a step forward and enter the Multiverse.

"I'm coming."

End of Part One