Two: Some Things Aren't Told

It hadn't rained this hard in a long time. 

As always, I untied the banner around the Tree of Feelings and wrapped Dream in it. He was snuggled up next to me, fast asleep, as the lightning flashed and the thunder boomed.

I was watching the rain fall. I love the rain. It's the one time when there's nobody around to yell at me or insult me. Dream hates the rain. The thunder scares him and everyone knows it, so if he's in the village when the rain starts, he'll be invited into a house and I'll be on my own. Not like I mind it. There have been times where while it rains, I'll venture through the village to the orchard. I normally can't go there, since the villagers think I'll disturb the trees (Because negative feelings can totally upset trees. Man, these villagers are idiots.) I use the rain as an excuse. The rain helps me calm down, put my mind at ease.

But not today.

Today, as I watched the rain fall, my head was a mess. Did I lie? Did I not? I couldn't tell. When I told Patch I didn't want to have a broken code, I meant it, right? I don't want to know the things I do now, right? Right?

What if... what if I didn't fix it? Would I never have woken up? Or would I see more of what I saw? I know how it happened, but could I learn why? Was it choices, or fate? If it's fate, I don't think I could stop it. But if it was a choice, then I could, right? I could stop it, I could save everyone. I could make Dream happy forever. Yet, a part of me knew, if it is fate, messing with it could end up in a worse result.

Or it could just be my imagination. That's always an option. I bet it was my imagination running wild from all the stories I've read. I hope it is, that way I don't have to stop it, life would just go on as it does.

A really loud blast of thunder shocked Dream awake.

"AAAAH!" He screamed, eyelights dilating in panic.

"Dream! Calm down." I adjusted the banner so he was more snug. "Hey, don't worry." I smiled. "Don't be afraid of the thunder, this cape will protect you from anything."

"Then you should wear it." Dream said.

"What? Me? Why?"

"So you're protected from the thunder and lightning and mean people and glitches and everything bad out there."

I looked at Dream, at those bright, caring, innocent yellow eyelights. It made something in me flutter and warmth spread through me. Dream used my pause to his advantage.

"Ha!" He threw part of the banner over me and wrapped his arm around me. "Here! Now we're both safe!" I smiled and hugged him back. I felt warm, warmer than ever, and I felt Dream's ara flare as he tried to keep me happy. It worked.

Dream fell back asleep pretty fast. After he did I unwrapped myself from the banner and put it back on Dream.

Yes. I did lie, didn't I? I want to know what happens.

So I can stop it. So I can change my fate and keep Dream safe. So I can protect those bright yellow eyes and warm smile.

So I never have to see the look of pain on Dream's face.

Remember your promise.

-------

"There you go. Comfortable?"

"No."

"Good. That means it's working. It should feel wrong for a bit, then it might hurt considering how bad you crashed. Remember, take it light on the magic at first. Just warning, if you saw anything during the crash, you might have some dreams about it. Anyways, I suggest sleeping now, you must be tired."

"Ok." I nodded as six months of no sleep and coffee started to fall on me.

"Great. I'll check on you in a week to see how it's going. Now, Dream, I have some extra time, so do you want some more info?"

"Yes please!"

"Alright. See you later Nightmare."

"It's Night."

Patch walked away with Dream bouncing after him as I rolled my eyes. Patch never gets my name right.

I walk to the Tree of Feelings and lean against the trunk. I conk out in a few minutes and instantly regret it. It's all lucid dreams, shifting between odd images and moments in my life, ending with a terrifying relive of the vision I saw that woke me with a start. Afternoon sunlight glared in my eyes. I catch myself checking my hand for cracks. It was just a dream. But man, it felt so real.

"Morning Sleeping Beauty." Says a voice above me. Dream is sitting on a branch, looking down at me, smiling. It takes me a moment to place the name with the story I read to Dream a while ago.

"What's with the nickname?"

"You were asleep for five days."

"Well that explai- FIVE DAYS?!?!" I jump up. "Oh my... That's a long time. Did I miss anything?"

"No. But I hope you feel rested. Also, don't go into the village. Everyone is kinda hopeful you've been knocked out again, and if they see you..."

I look at him. I still have no idea how he figured out the villagers aren't very nice to me, but I know he doesn't know how bad they've been. "Okay, thanks for the warning."

Dream smiled and walked off to the village. Because he's allowed to go there, and I'm not, all because of something I didn't choose and had no control over. Stupid villagers for not realizing I could be a good person too...

"Calm down, Night. Don't poison yourself like this." I muttered before turning around and jumping as high as I could. I caught a low branch on the tree and pulled myself up. Jump, grab, pull, I repeat this over and over before I get to a perch. Surrounded by leaves, I have a perfect view of the village and orchard beyond it, but they couldn't see me. It was like I was invisible. It was nice.

I climbed down a few minutes later. Dream doesn't like me going too high up, and he should be back soon. As I guessed, he ran back minutes after I dropped down, clutching a book.

"Nighty! Nighty! Miss Linda ran into me today and told me to give you this!" He nearly ran into me, paused to catch his breath, then gave me a book. It's a big one, and it looks old. The title read 'The History of Star Village'. 

"Woah... It looks amazing..."

"And it's for Star Village! That's where we live! Or, more correctly, the town we live just outside of. Can you read it to me?"

"Later. It's getting dark. Time to go to sleep."

"Ok, tomorrow!"

"Tomorrow it is."

We lean against the tree, Dream's skull on my shoulder. I open the book and scan the table of contents. Looks interesting. I yawn and lean on Dream. I did just sleep five days, but I'm still tired.

I close my eyes.

I don't have any dreams that night.