Five: Multiple

Have you ever had the experience of falling? Not falling over from tripping, but falling a long distance. Maybe like parachuting, or being on a roller coaster, or even a trampoline. You know that feeling, when you're at the highest point then gravity kicks in and you fall. That's what jumping felt like, but slowed down. And it's silent. I've never liked silence. It gives you time to think about things you could otherwise ignore. 

I couldn't see the ground. All I could see was black. I thought it would stay that way.

Until something stabbed me in the arm and pinned me to the tree. 

I opened my eyes and saw a purple blur zoom past me right then ran into a nearby tree. "OW!" It hollered before grabbing a branch to stop itself from falling. It then climbed and sat on the branch and gave me a death glare. 

"WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING?!?!"

"Um..."

"Whatever. I'll get you down." The figure raised an arm and I was wrapped in red strings. The strings lowered me down to the ground and let me go. The figure disappeared, then reappeared in front of me.

"Ok Night, listen up. I know you saw something when you crashed. And considering you just JUMPED OF A FRICKING TREE, I think I know what it is."

It takes my head a moment to process that it's Patch in front of me. 

"You saw what happened in the original timeline. You saw what would happen in this one. I know you thought you were doing the right thing. But trust me, it's not. This timeline needs to continue the right way for it to not break. So I need you to stop."

"But... I don't want to put Dream through that."

"I know you don't. I doubt Nightmare wanted to either."

"Yeah, I...." What Patch just said hits me and my eyes go wide. 

"I- uh-" Patch stammers, seeing my face. "Uh.....Shoot. Go ahead, ask."

"What do you mean? Is there another me somewhere? Can I meet him?"

"He's in another Multiverse."

Great, there he goes again with all his multiverse nonsense. But this time, part of me believes him.

"And I think he would try to kill you if he saw you."

"Come on, please? Then I could get more info on why he ate the apples, so I could figure out how to prevent it!"

"Maybe someday."

"Could you by chance promise that? I want to know how to avoid eating the apples."

"I can try. But not now, we have somewhere to go. Hold on, this might feel weird."

Patch grabs my hand as tight as he could and I held on. He then closed his eyes and I felt an odd sensation like I was being dragged somewhere at top speed. My eyesight went blurry, then came into focus a few seconds later. I felt wrong like I just did something I shouldn't have done, but at the same time, it filled me with exhilaration. I had just teleported! With Patch of course. 

"NIGHT! YOU'RE OKAY!" I voice behind me yells, and I'm tackled in a strong hug. "OH MY GOSH I WAS SO WORRIED WHAT WERE YOU THINKING I THOUGHT I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN PATCH LOOKED SO SCARED WHEN I TOLD HIM YOU DISAPPEARED AND THAT MADE ME SO NERVOUS AND WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!" Dream hugs me tighter. "Never ever do that again."

"Okay. Sounds good to me."

"Uh... Patch?" Dream, still sitting on me, turns to look at Patch. "Can we have a moment?"

"Sure." Patch winks and teleports away.

"I...I have something to say to you." Dream looked me in the eyes, looking slightly embarrassed. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten so mad at you for that. It's just... I'm not sure why, but I've been having a bit of trouble staying calm lately. I bet it's because some idiots are making my brother feel bad." Hints of dark red swirl in his locket. 

"Hey, calm down. I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have worried you like that. I won't do it again."

"And you'll try to be more positive?"

"Yes. I'll try to be more positive."

"GREAT!" Dream grinned and hugged me again. I hugged him back, and we sat there for a few minutes before Dream pulled away.

"Oh! That reminds me! I want to go to the librarby."

"Library."

"That's what I said. Librarby. Can you take me there?"

"Heh. Sure."

We get up and walk to the library, hand in hand. Some of the villagers wave at Dream, while others glare at me. We both waved back and Dream returned any glare. And gosh he was good. We walk to the library, smiling and telling each other jokes. I couldn't feel his aura, but I was still happy. Maybe Dream was right.

We enter the library. "Hello boys, how is it going?" Linda asks. She's holding a small kid.

"Hello, Miss Linda! Hello Emme!" Dream says, patting Emme on the head. "I'm doing great. I hope you're both doing well."

"We are."

"Dweam! Noot!" Emme exclaims. 

"'Noot?' That's how she pronounces it?" Dream looked at me, a mischievous glint in his eyelights.

"Uh... Yes."

"Cool. Anyways, Miss Linda, 'Noot' and I will be looking for some books. You can keep taking care of Emme." 

I roll my eyelights.

"Alright. Have fun you two!"

I headed to my normal spot in the back of the library. Dream follows me until he finds the fiction section for younger children (He LOVES picture books). I check the back shelves, by my spot, and see a big book labeled "A Guide to Multiversal Magic".

Holy moly... Multiversal magic? I think. With all this mentioning of a multiverse, it's kinda hard to not believe in one. I pull the book off the shelf and start paging through it. The table of contents talks about things like Yellow and Purple magic, different soul abilities, all the fun things humans can do. There's also basic monster magic, like Fire magic, controlling soul modes, and teleportation.

Teleportation! I could learn how!

"Hey Nighty, I think I'm ready to go. You?" Dream walks up with a handful of picture books and comics. 

"One moment." I quickly grab The next book in the series I'm reading, then ask Linda about some other books. She points me in the direction of the mangas and I thank her. Like I asked, there was a series like the one I was previously reading. This one was about two humans who are raised by a skeleton scientist, who's trying to make the perfect world for the humans. I grab the first two books and walk over to Dream, who's waiting at the door.

"That's a big book. Way too big for me." He said, eyeing my Magic Guide. "I prefer to have Patch teach me."

"I don't think you'd like it anyways."

"Well, that works out great! Come on bro, it's getting late."

We walk home in the evening light. Few villagers are out, but none bother us. We get to the tree and Dream falls asleep immediately. I'm up late into the night, watching the stars and reading the Guide to Multiversal Magic.