Three: Sticks and Stones

Dream shook me awake.

"Niiiiiiiiiiight, get uuuuuuuuuup, you said you would read the big book to me."

"Ugh, just a few more minutes..."

"No! It's already pretty late! It's, like, six!"

"Hold up, since when are you up at six?"

"HAH! Got you! It's really ten, so GET UP ALREADY BRO!!"

"Fine."

I get up and get a moment to adjust to the light before a book is shoved at me. "There you go! Let's hear it!"

"Ok." I cleared my throat, just for show purposes. "The History of Star Village.

"Once upon a time-"

"That's the start? Isn't this history, not a fairytale?"

"Shush. Once upon a time, before Star Village came to be, there was a tree. This was no ordinary tree, it was magical. When the inhabitants of this land found this tree, they were met by a girl with the name of Nim. Nim told them she was the guardian of this tree, the Tree of Feelings-"

"HEY, that's our tree! Does that mean this 'Nim' is our mom?"

"Uh... yeah, probably. Can I continue?"

Dream nodded. 

"Great. Nim explained the tree had two sides: The golden apples, which help positivity, and the purple apples, which held negativity. She warned them not to mess with the apples. The people liked Nim, though she considered herself mildly above them. The people had a home already but came to visit now and then. One day, however, something went horribly wrong. Some of the people had gotten more negativity and tried to get some of the golden apples from the Tree of Feelings. Nim fought them off and her disgust to the mortals grew as she was attacked more and more. Finally, she was caught off guard and fatally wounded. If she died, so would the tree, and all of the feelings. Nim killed the attacker and used the tree to create two beings: One of positivity, named-"

"Dream!"

"And the other, a being of negativity, named-"

"Night!"

"Nim tried to give the energy balls human bodies, but the bodies couldn't contain the energy and exploded."

"Eeeeeewww."

"She tried making skeleton forms, and that worked. With the final ounce of her strength, she fused herself with the tree. The two skeletons were lonely, but soon they were found by the people. They thought the skeletons were lonely and invited them to come to stay in their small town. The skeletons refused, and the people left. Sometime later, the people returned, their town destroyed by a sudden fire. They stayed by the Tree of Feelings for a bit and liked the location so much they decided to move there. The people built a town there, which came to be known as Star Village, named after the beautiful stars at night." 

"Facts right there, the stars are almost as good as you."

"Awww, thanks. The town soon grew into a thriving village, full of kind people, and it looks like the rest is the boring stuff you already know."

"That's a great story! Anyways, Ari asked if I could play today, so I'm going to see if he's busy now."

"Okay. I think I'll return this, or maybe read some more..."

"But you said it was boring."

"I said it would be boring for you."

"Um... Well, I guess that's probably true."