Fourteen: The Destroyer

The figure slowly came out of the darkness. The eyelights slipped away from me and stared at Pen. Pen's hands made fists, and I could tell he was getting mad, but I still couldn't sense anything from him.

I turn back to the figure, Thread. He strides forward with an almost insane grin, and I sensed joy from him. He had a dark grey shirt with yellow stripes and loose black pants that ended just below his knees. The pants had a dark red stripe through them, the same color as his shoes. A short sleeved red jacket was on over the shirt, and the hood was dark red fluff. The last thing I noticed was the scar on his right eye. That by itself would seem pretty odd considering he's a skeleton, but the thing that really caught my attention was the fact the scar was yellow instead of red. In the dark, it almost seemed to be... glowing.

"Ahahaha... Who do we have here? I guessed my plan worked after all... Hello, old friend." Thread chuckles, looking at Pen.

"Shut up, Thread. We aren't friends anymore, you lost that chance a while ago," Pen responds, hatred in his eyes.

"Oh, really? Let me guess, you still haven't gotten over Path."

Pen freezes, and for the first time, I feel his emotions. It's slight, but I can tell exactly what it is. Anger. Uncontrollable hatred. "You... you..."

"I what? Am I being too mean for little baby Pen? Grow up."

Pen closes his eyes and teleports, landing right behind Thread, hate in his eyes and charging an attack in his hands. His eyelights changed to black with a red outline.

"How dare you mention him after what you did."

Pen attacks. He shoots a massive amount of yellow bullet looking things, straight towards Thread. A few hit Thread in the back and he held out his hand, summoning a bone that's cracked and sharp on one end. He uses that to block the rest.

"Well, looks like I hit home there," Thread said as he leaped at Pen, swinging his bone. Pen grabbed another pen from his bag and injected the ink in, turning his eyelights into squares. He then held his hand up, creating a green barrier that blocked Thread's move. His eyes then turned back to the upside down teardrops and he shot more yellow bullets. 

"Night, stay here," Patch said, gripping his knives. "I don't want you hurt." He teleports beside Thread and swings a knife at him. Thread summons another bone to block it. I find somewhere safe to hide while still being able to watch the fight. Pen and Patch are both attacking Thread, yet he manages to block pretty much everything and still find time to attack. After a bit, Pen and Patch attacked him at the same time and he disappeared. I assumed he teleported, but a few moments passed and he didn't reappear. I was about to ask if he left when I felt someone sneaking up on Patch.

"Behind you!" I yelled. Patch whirled around and managed to block an attack as Thread reappeared behind him.

"That does it," Pen mutters and his eyelights turned back to ovals. He charges an attack. Thread sees it and grins. He holds out a hand and yellow strings fly out of it. They go straight for Patch, and he tries to dodge, but the strings catch up and wrap around Patch's Soul. Thread pulls Patch over in front of him, just as Pen is about to attack. Pen pauses, not wanting to attack his friend. But Patch nods, as if saying 'Do it.' I feel a strong sense of determination from Patch, and Pen releases the attack.

A massive animal looking skull appears behind Pen. It shoots out a beam, which hits Patch and Thread hard. Both go flying backward and Patch is released from the yellow strings. Thread laughs.

"Attacking your friend just to hit me? You really have... Huh?" Thread pauses. "My health..." He sends a glare at Patch. "Haha, didn't expect that, you dirty Codewriter..."

I look at Patch and realize he's unharmed. Somehow, he got the attack to not hit him and go for Thread instead.

Patch pulls out one of his knives and throws it at Thread, missing his skull by inches. "Get out before I decide to aim better."

"Ugh..." Thread teleports away, but not before making eye contact with me. I come out of my spot.

"What just happened?" I say.

"Well, I... I overwrote my health so the blaster wouldn't affect me," Patch said. "I didn't think that would work, but I guess it did."

"You idiot, you scared me there," Pen says... affectionately? Jokingly? It's hard to read emotions for him.

"Speaking of, what was that beam thing?" I ask Pen.

"That was a Gaster Blaster, one of my signature weapons," Pen grins, summoning a smaller one beside him. "They're cute, but deadly." The blaster fires a beam in between Patch and I, leaving a mark on the ground. 

"That's pretty cool," I said. 

"Thanks. Now, we should find Alphys and head back to the Art Dome. Patch, you mind taking him back?" Pen looks around the lab. "I'd prefer to do this myself."

"Sure." Patch grabs my shoulder and we teleport back to the Art Dome. Seed is by the big paper in the middle of the room, and the moment we arrive, he zips over.

"Are you okay? Where's Pen? Did you find Dream?"

"It was a false alarm. Thread set us up." Patch groans. "Stupid skeleton. Pen's fixing up the AU. Now if you don't mind, I had to Codewrite myself, so I'm not feeling that well. That, and..." Patch trailed off, then whispered something to Seed. I caught something about 'Souls' and 'DT'. Seed nods once Patch is done.

"Alright, will do. Go rest, and if I'm not back when you wake up, I'll be in Crashtale. The human is in New Home, so I suspect I'll be making my entrance soon." 

"Okay." Patch teleported away and Seed turned to me.

"You should stay here, Night. We don't want you getting lost," Seed said, then left. I was by myself.

A while back, I liked being by myself. It gave me time to think, and thinking was good. Then after I crashed, thinking started becoming remembering. I didn't like being alone that much. Alone means remembering, and remembering brings up something I don't want to deal with. So I started reading more and finding people to be around. But now that I'm by myself, I get a moment to think. It's nice. I think about Dream and where he could be. I think about Pen and Thread and their hatred of each other and wonder why. I think of Patch and how he came to be a Protector. I think of my home, the now burned tree, and the clear sky and stars. I find myself wanting to head back for a bit, so I find Seed's notebook and write the Protectors a note.

Hello! I'm headed to my home for a bit. You can find me there if I'm not back when you arrive. From Night.

I walk over to the paper labeled 'Dreamcrash'. Once I touch it, I sort of... know what to do to get back and I teleport home. It takes a lot out of me and I collapse. I'm in the orchard, looking at the sky. Rain is pouring down. Despite all that has happened, I still like the rain. I slowly close my eyes, feeling tired and peaceful. I drifted off to sleep.

I had a dream. The first dream I've had since I ate the apples. I dreamed I found Dream, and he came back home with me. He was happy I had figured out a way to stop myself from corrupting and we lived happily ever after.

My last dream turned out to be the future. Maybe this one will too.