Chapter Twenty-Three

The crowd cheers as Brittney makes a spike, leading the game by two points. Alice, Will, and Scott were standing at the wall near the entrance watching the game. It was amazing how the first game Will was trying to pretend that Scott did not even exist; now he was actually trying to get along with him.

Alice thinks it was due to the fact that he knows for sure that there is nothing between her and Scott. For that reason he was not acting all tense. It probably also helped that Brittney and Scott would come over the house almost everyday to see how Alice was doing, and instead of leaving the room, he stayed. Alice did not know where the sudden change in attitude came from, but she is glad it did. It just made things easier for her.

There was fifteen minutes to the clock and everyone knew that Brittney’s team was going to win. The other team was serving the ball. A girl from Brittney’s team in the back passes it to another girl. That girl passes it Brittney and she spikes the ball.

The game was suddenly stopped when the door opened and people from the concession stand ran in. Everyone looked around to see what was scaring them. Some shouted monsters others shouted, “One of them has a sword.” The teams and the crowd ran to the other side of the gym. The people on the bleachers were not sure of what to do. Some got up and actually ran with the crowd, others stayed where they were.

Alice and Will look at each other in confusion and shock. He grabs her by the elbow, but does not make a move to go anywhere. She could not blame him because if they ran out the gym they may run right into the trolls, and the only other place to hide is behind the bleachers.

Alice turns to Scott who was looking at the crowd and trying not to get trampled by them. She gets out of Will’s grasp and pushes Scott, “You need to go hide.”

Scott turns to look at her, “And you?”

Alice pushes him again, “I’ll be right behind you, go now,” She lies. She gives Scott another push and watches him run into the crowd. She turns around when Will finds her hand.

“You need to find somewhere to hide too.”

“Not without you.” She ignores whatever Will says after, and pulls them into the crowd. She makes a risk and goes behind the bleachers. They were the only ones there.

Through the bleachers, Alice could see all the people look panicked and scared. Her eyes go wide when she sees a tall muscular troll. The troll had a thick beard and his nails looked pretty sharp.

Another creature was next to him. A green man two heads shorter than his comrade, fangs and a tail coming out of his clothing; a goblin. Both of them wearing the crest of Damos’ army.

The goblin steps forward and sniffs the air. “I smell fairy, she is here.” He looks around the gym, “But which one is she.”

The troll looks around the room, “Could be any of them, those fairies are good at disguises.”

Alice did not realize she was shaking until Will puts his arm around her waist. Her back was against his chest and he was leaning against the bleachers. She cannot see what was happening, but she can hear.

“Princess where are you?” The goblin said in a mocking tone. He sighs, “Okay I want all the girls from ages sixteen to nineteen on this side and everyone else over here.”

No sound of movement was made.

A sound of a sword being pulled out and everyone moved.

Alice could not move since Will had his arms locked around her. “I have to do something,” She whispers.

“Not if it has to do with you giving yourself up.”

Alice shakes her head, “I promise.”

Will sighs and lets her go.

Alice walks at the end near the entrance. There were chains next to the door.  This could cause more problems, but she had to try anyway. She could already feel the bleachers making her weak. Through the bleachers she makes a ball of fire and throws it at the troll.

She watches as his clothes catch on fire and he rolls on the floor trying to put it out. The smoke lingers into the ceiling and the sprinklers go off. The troll lays on the floor with the fire put out.

“If that was supposed to be intimidating princess, it wasn’t.” The goblin says and walks down the line of girls. He was sniffing each one. He stops at Brittney and sniffs her a few more times. He stops and stares at her confused. “You smell human, but…” Sniffs. “Smell like fairy too.”

The troll gets up with his clothes burned.

The goblin points to Brittney, “Take her Athos.”

Athos walks up to Brittney and grabs her by the throat.

“Princess if you do not come, Athos will kill her.”

Alice watches frozen from behind the bleachers as Athos chokes her. Brittney’s face was turning colors. Her hands around his trying to pry him off. Alice clenches her teeth, she could not let this happen. She shouts from behind the bleachers before Will could stop her, “Let everyone go and I will come out.”

The goblin makes a gesture to Athos.

Brittney falls to the floor rubbing her throat.

Athos grabs her by her arm. “Everybody else leave.”

Everyone in the gym leaves, except for Scott who tries to get to Brittney. He tries pushing the troll. Athos pushes him across the room.

The goblin sniffs Scott, “He smells like fey the same way she does.” The goblin grabs Scott by the hair and yanks his hair back. “No tricks.”

Alice panics and runs out from behind the bleachers. “I said let them go.” She makes two balls of water and throws it at both of them. She misses the goblin, but hits Athos in the chest.

Will flies out behind the bleacher and jumps onto the trolls back and snaps his neck. He gets to Brittney and helps her off the floor. He pulls her to her feet, “Get out of here.”

Alice sees the goblin smirk at Will.

He lets go of Scott and takes a dagger out and starts running to Will.

Alice jumps in front of Will, and throws a ball of air.

The goblin doubles over. He gets up and looks at Alice.

Alice tries hitting him again, but he was so small and fast that she could not keep up. She bends over when he punches her in the stomach. She picks her head up and sees Will trying to fight something that was faster than he was. She looks around the gym to find Brittney helping Scott off the floor.

The goblin gets Will away far from Alice. He comes running back to Alice and kicks her into the metal stands.

Alice screams in agony feeling the burning metal against her skin. She wanted to get up, but felt too pained and paralyzed.

“You guys get her out of there,” She hears Will shout.

Alice feels herself being lifted off the bleachers. She opens her eyes to see Scott carrying her. Next to him was Brittney watching her with wide eyes. Alice flinches her disguise was slowly peeling away. She looks away from her and sees Will fighting the goblin. She raises her hand, and using the energy she had left hits the goblin with a ball of air. It distracts him giving him enough time for Will to stab him with his own dagger.

The goblin falls on the floor. Blood spilling out and staining the gym floor.

Will flies to them and takes Alice in his arms. He puts her on the floor and cradles her head. He looked pained and sorry for letting it get that far. He did not even care if her friends were there watching.

Alice let the rest of her disguise fall, and takes in the situation. She lays there in Will’s arms. Her wings visible. Scott and Brittney looking astonished. She closes her eyes and lets the darkness embrace her.