Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Two things came out of Jenna going up to talk to Will. One was good news, and the other bad news. The good news was every time Alice told Will that she would be going out with Scott somewhere, he did not say anything or look like he was biting his tongue. The bad news was she wanted him to say something, and see if he would put up a fight since most of the time she was lying about being with Scott and would really escape to the clearing, and of course he was talking to Jenna.

The worst of it was that Will was still going to see Jenna on Friday night. She felt sick to her stomach imagining Will having another girl in his arms for a night. Actually it was easier to imagine it, since she could also imagine Jenna tripping over a tree root and breaking her leg. Unfortunately it cannot happen in real life, where she has to see the laughing and talking after school, because then she would never hear the end of it from Will. Seriously why did this banshee have to be a teacher’s assistant.

Things did not end there. Thursday night when Alice comes back from the clearing she hears Will talking on the phone. He does not even say hi, he just pokes his head out through the kitchen door to see if it was her. Afterwards he just pokes his head back into the kitchen the door swings behind him.

Alice sits on the stairs for ten minutes waiting to see if he would hang up the phone. She listens for ten minutes to him laughing and talking. Finally she gave up and climbs the stairs, changes her clothes, curls up into a ball on her bed, and goes to sleep.

The next night Will is checking himself in the hallway mirror when Alice comes downstairs. All she thinks is how to find a way to get him to stay. She does not like one second of Will being with this, this banshee. She sits on the lounge chair and crosses her legs, watching him get ready.

“Are you seriously going to this date?” Alice asks not even trying to hide the bitterness in her voice.

“Are you proposing I stand her up?” Will asks rhetorically without moving away from the mirror.

Alice shrugs and mumbles, “Fine by me.” She leans more into her chair and crosses her arms. “I noticed she was a blonde,” Alice says.

“Yes, and?”

“Nothing, just did not know you were into blondes.”

Will starts fixing his collar and with a grin he says, “Did not know either till I met Jenna.”

Alice rolls her eyes and lowers her eyebrows. “Her hair is probably fake anyways,” She mumbles.

“What?”

“Nothing,” She smiles with her teeth showing.

 He turns around and faces Alice. Will cocks his head and with a sly grin asks, “You do not have a problem with this, do you?” He does not hide the amusement in his tone.

Alice puts a hand on her chest and in an exasperated tone she says, “No of course not.” She puts her chin in her hand. “I think she is very pretty.”

Will chuckles and nods. “Yeah, she is.”

“It is too bad about her nose condition.”

“What nose condition?” Will asks with his eyebrows lowered.

“Oh nothing serious, it is just I noticed also that her left nostril is three centimeters bigger than her right.” Alice says. She holds up her hand with her thumb and index finger an inch apart. “Just that much bigger, and she already has large nostrils.” She puts her hand down. “And I also noticed her eyes. I think they are far too much apart.”

“You are noticing a lot of things to day,” Will states. He walks over to the hallway closest and grabs a black jacket. “Are you okay?” He asks and she could see the concern shining through his brown eyes.