Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

“She has been out since last night after the king was killed,” A voice in the back was saying. She believes it was Travis speaking. It sounded like him. “You need to get her out of here before she gets worse.”

A warm hand touches her arm and shakes her. “Alice, wake up,” Another familiar voice whispers.

She cringes and folds her legs more close to her body. It was a trick of her mind was playing. There was no way she could be hearing that voice. She was just in denial. He was gone. She witnessed it herself.

Another warm hand touches her face and brushes her cheek with the back of his hand. “Alice, wake up,” He whispers with a soft plead. He starts moving her on her back and cradles her in his arms. “I am going to kill that bastard.”

The sound of his voice and the warmth of his body only make her stir. She did not want to believe. Could not let herself believe it. Alice shuts her eyes more. She did not want to open her eyes. She had to let him go.

The arms hold her closer to his chest. “Alice stop it’s me.”

She moans, “No you’re dead.”

He takes her hand and puts it against his face. He brushes his lips over her knuckles. “I am here. I’m not dead.” He presses her knuckles against his cheek. “Open your eyes and you will see.”

Alice opens it slightly, but then changes her mind and closes them again. She could not. It was only a cruel dream that is all it was. A hallucination that her mind made up, that is it. “Just go away.” Has she not suffered enough? Was the pain of losing him not enough?

He brushes his finger under her eye. “Open your eyes,” He whispers.

Alice does as he says. Slow at first then hesitantly. Finally opening them up, she sees those warm chocolate brown eyes and that messy jet black hair and that open smile. Alice hesitantly puts her hand on his cheek, and combs her fingers into his hair. “You were dead.”

“No, I survived the wound thanks to Brittney and Scott,” Will says. He gestures his head to the side.

Alice looks in that direction and sees Brittney standing at the door of the cell looking back and forth. She looks back at Will not knowing what else to say. “How did you know I be in here?”

Will shrugs and lifts her up off the floor. “We heard Damos give an order to one of his guards to get you when we were breaking in.” He walks out the cell.

Looking up Alice could see Scott unlocking the door to Travis’ cell.

Travis walks out and takes the key. “You guys go on ahead, I’ll get everyone else out.” He looks at Will, “Be careful.”

Will nods and runs up the stairs with Alice in his arms.

Scott is in front and then stops when they are half way up. He turns to Will, “I think I should take her. You are the better fighter.”

Will frowns and brings Alice close to his chest.

“He is right,” Alice says in a small voice. She puts a hand to his face, “You cannot carry and protect me at the same time.”

Agreeing with them, he nods and puts Alice into Scott’s arms. Will takes the lead carrying his bow with an arrow loaded into it.  “When we get out of here, you two get Alice the other side of the wall while I take out Damos.”

“No,” Alice says sharply. “I am not hiding. I think I have done enough of that.”

“Do not be stupid. You cannot even walk on your own.”