Chapter Four

Chapter Four

“Don’t you ever think about what others say about you having your so called brother come and walk you home?” Will asks after school eyeing the students nearby.

Alice only rolls her eyes, not seeing the big deal. “First off,  you’re not my brother, so I really don’t care what they say. Second, I’m by myself for most of the whole day; I actually look forward to your company.”

Will lets a handsome smile cross his face. “Good to know.” He mumbles. They cross the street and Will points her to another direction. “Anyways I went hiking today, and found an even better spot for us to train.”

She places a hand under her chin and starts to contemplate. “Let me guess the sign says: No trespassing, bears.” It was a good guess too, considering Will’s sense of adventure. Not even a sign that said: fire breathing dragon up ahead, would make him turn back.

A loud chuckle rumbles out of Will’s mouth. He places a hand on her back, causing a tingle run down her spine. “In my defense I wanted to see a bear.” Will stated. Alice looks up and meets his muddy brown eyes. Brittney did make a point this morning; he had gotten a little bit more handsome this summer.

Oddly something inside her stirred, she wondered who else has thought the same thing. Has he flirted with anyone else or vice versa? Alice just did not like the idea of a girl being closer than she was with Will.

Alice closes her eyes and shakes her head. What was the matter with her? She can’t think of Will like that. Will was her best friend. He could be with any girl, elf, fairy, or wingless flyer if he desires. Some reason though it tore her heart to think of him having another important girl in his life.

“So how big is this clearing?” Alice asked trying to get those thoughts out of her head.

Will brushed his hair back before answering. “Let’s see it has enough room for us to play a proper game of tag, I already placed the targets up for bow and arrows, and we could work on your physical attacks more.” Will looks down and a smirk grows on his face. “I could see that you’re very excited about this.”

“Of course I am.” Alice states. “It is the only time I get to use my powers.” Along with not having to worry about human issues: homework, school, or annoying cute boys, or even having to be in her silly disguise. No it was just her being her. “Let’s play tag last I want to work on getting that bull’s-eye.”

It did not take long for them to get ready at the house and get to the forest where the locals usually hiked.

Will leading Alice, held her hand, through the forest. The area that was restricted was definitely steeper and thicker than the area that was cleared away for the hikers. Not that Alice minded. It was just somehow she feels blind and deaf in forest when under a disguise.

Not able to see the tree’s roots as she usually would, causing her to trip over some, or even not being able to hear the gossip and the news coming from the trees. Not even a strong winter’s wind would stop them from talking about fires in California or Tornado’s in Georgia. The tree’s witness everything, and talk about it. If humans could hear them, then they would not need a security camera. Better witnesses anyway, the trees don’t lie.

“It’s just up that hill.” says Will turning to her. He pulled her a little closer. “Faster if I carry you…if you don’t mind.”

“I could just transform, and fly up there.” Alice says.

Will shakes his head. “No, I’ve tried the trees here don’t give that much room to fly, unless you are a bird.”  He shrugs and lets a soft grin fall across his face. “We have to walk up there.” He looks down at the scrape she earned from earlier; at least it was now fading away. “I’m pretty sure you’re tired of tripping.”