Side Story: A Storybrooke Christmas Adventure

The snow was falling around as Elle adjusted her Santa Claus hat. Kids ran around as they watched Regina light the giant Christmas tree in the center of town. The townspeople clapped and Granny announced free hot chocolate for the day in honour of the holiday season. 

Elle tightened the scarf that was around her neck and looked around for a certain green eyed boy that was missing from the action. Her heart sank as he had promised her they would spend this Christmas together just like they did any other one. He missed the lighting of the Christmas Tree and decorating the town already. Did he no longer care for her? She shook her head at the thought, that thought was purely paranoia speaking. She decided to shift her focus on her next problem, what to get Peter. 

She entered a gift shop called, Little North, a small, but cozy shop across from Granny's Diner. Elle glanced around at the snow globes when the shopkeeper addressed her, "Ah a new customer."

Elle jumped a little and faced a boy. He had unusual silver hair and wore a white suit. His light grey eyes seemed to observe her, "You must be looking for a present for a special person."

The pirate tensed. How did he know? It's a Christmas themed store, Elle thought to herself, Of course he would know that. 

"Yeah, I am," Elle answered, "I can't seem to think of the perfect gift for my boyfriend, Peter."

"I think I have something that might help you out," the boy smiled and turned his back to retrieve something. 

He placed an object on the desk and Elle blinked at it confused, "It's a book."

The boy simply smiled, "They say books are like portals in a way."

His words seemed sinister and Elle stepped away. The exit locked behind her and the boy had his hands on the book. 

"Just who are you?" Elle asked. 

"My name is Nicholas Clarence," the boy smirked, "Allow me to immerse you in a journey, Elle Weston. Your Dear Peter popped in my shop earlier today with the same gleam in you eyes."

The snow flurried around Elle and she raised her arms to protect herself. The last thing she saw was Nicholas' grin and wave before she was pulled into the book. 

When the light disappeared, Elle hugged herself from the cold. Where was she? More importantly, where was Peter? She let out a chilly breath and decided to brave into the snow. 

As she did, she saw a figure in the distance. They wore a dark green jacket and a grey beanie. 

"Peter!" Elle called out. 

Peter turned and they reunited in the middle. Peter hugged her shivering body, "What are you doing here?"

"I was trying to find you a suitable gift," Peter admitted, "What I didn't expect was to be tricked by the shopkeeper. I've been wandering this freezing place until you came."

"Where exactly are we?" Elle asked him curiously, seeing nothing but snow.

"Beats me," Peter answered, "I am not familiar with this realm."

A light stemmed from the clouds and a paper came fluttering down as if sent by a messenger. Elle picked it up and read the message. 

The only way out is to play a game

After which you won't be the same

Hidden in the past and etched in your hearts

Reignite the spirit to escape the dark