44: Shattered Memories

Who are you? 

His words broke through Elle's shields as she and Felix looked down at their recovered companion. Her voice trembled, "What do you mean, Peter?"

"Peter?" Her love replied confused, "Who is Peter?"

Elle widened her eyes and took him in. His green eyes only full of truth. A tear went down her face as Peter frowned, "Did I make you cry? I'm sorry."

Elle shook her head, "No... It is not you."

She rose to her feet and pulled Peter with her, "Come on, I'm going to take you to some people who can help you."

Suddenly, a loud rumbled echoed through the cave and the fires spewed onto the edge. Elle struggled to keep her grip. 

"What's happening?" She asked Felix?

"The Underworld..." Peter muttered and both of them looked down at a beaten Peter, "Inequality. Imbalance. Tartarus demands a soul."

Elle flinched knowing what it meant. They would not be able to put Tartarus behind them unless a sacrifice was to be made. 

Elle stood on her feet and turned her back to both boys. 

"Felix," She instructed, "Go find my father and the heroes. Keep Peter safe for me."

She stared at the fires that were rising steadily. Felix looked at her and gave a shake of his head, "Elle, have you lost your mind? Tartarus would never let you leave a second time, even if you have the powers of a god."

"I know," Elle's voice cracked, "But I can't let you and Peter suffer through it."

She swallowed nervously thinking of what torment awaited her in the fiery underneath. Just as she was about to jump, Felix gripped her wrist and threw her back. 

"Felix," Elle frowned, "What are you doing?"

"Stop trying to be a martyr," Felix snapped at her and glanced away, "Promise me one thing, that you will keep Peter safe."

"O-O-Of course," Elle stuttered, "But why would you have me promise-"

She never got a chance to finish her sentence when Felix fell over the edge of the cliff into Tartarus. Her eyes widened, "Felix!"

She fell to her knees and peered over the edge as Felix's body fell further from reach. She sensed his soul leaving the Underworld permanently. Her eyes became wet with grief. Felix was... Gone. 

He will never have a chance to move on while other souls did. Unlike previous times, Tartarus would not be swayed into giving up a soul. It was furious that Peter and her escaped. It demanded its tribute. 

Peter's coughing is what finally broke Elle out of her tear-stricken state. She looked over her shoulder at a wide eyed Peter. She rose to her feet and walked over to Peter, "Come on, we need to get you out of here."

She supported Peter's weight on her shoulders as she trudged into the Underbrooke streets. To say she looked like hell would be an understatement. Her bloodied clothes and slightly burnt face. Tartarus was indeed a prison where not even the gods immune to. It was something else otherworldly. 

"What is your name?" Peter asked her tiredly. 

Elle kept looking ahead, "My name is Elle."

"Elle..." Elle's name rolls of his lips. His green eyes blinked, "I heard of that name, but what does it mean? And who was that other boy with us who fell into Tartarus? Why did he do that?"

Elle swallowed, "His name was Felix. He was someone special to us."

"Was he?" Peter asked, "I don't know why, but the idea of him being close to you strikes me as odd. Tell me, was he your lover?"