4: The Curse is Broken

"Will he wake up soon?" Elle asked worried holding Henry's hand. 

"He will, don't worry," Mary Margaret reassured her.

Over the course of a few weeks, Emma's arrival had stirred chaos in the town. Graham was killed and Elle dreaded it was Regina's doing. Her own memories came back in flashes when she was asleep. The boy with green eyes meant something to her, but she did not know what.

The hospital monitor was beeping quietly in the background as Elle bowed her head in worry. 

"Elle," Emma said, "We're going to save him."

Elle lifted her head, "I'm coming with you."

Emma shook her head, "No, where we are going, it is too dangerous for you."

"But Emma-" 

"She's right, Elena," Regina's voice interrupted them. 

The teenager raised her head seeing the mayor standing at the entrance to Henry's room. Emma's soft gaze hardened as she whispered in Henry's ear. When she pulled away, she spoke to Regina. 

"You got ten minutes with him. You know where to meet me," Emma said before leaving the hospital. 

When she was gone, Elle turned not wishing to speak to the women who caused this. 

"I know you are mad," Regina said. 

"Mad is an understatement," Elle broke out, "He could die because of you."

Regina flinched, "It was never my intention."

Both looked at Henry who was fast asleep and Elle let a single tear move down her cheek. 

"Why?" Elle asked with a quivering lip, "Why did you do this?"

"I could not lose Henry," Regina said, "I don't want to lose either of you."

As Regina became more overbearing, Elle sought refuge at Mary Margaret's apartment when she needed to getaway. She was eighteen and an adult, but with everything that had taken place in town, she did not have the time to look for an apartment. Regina hated the act that Elle was planning on leaving and knew the girl stayed for Henry's sake. However, as Henry started to drift towards Emma Swan, she felt Elle shifting to join him. It broke her heart and filled her mind with fear realizing both her children might leave her. 

"I'm sorry," Regina said to Henry.

"Pity, isn't it?" a man's voice asked her. 

Elle looked up seeing Jefferson walking towards them. Henry believed him to be the mad hatter from Alice in Wonderland. He had a daughter as well, Grace. She was a sweet little girl who went by Paige in Storybrooke who was unaware of her former self like everyone else in town. He kidnapped Emma a few days after she came to Storybrooke and she managed to break free. What was he doing here, though?

"There's nothing harder than not knowing whether you'll ever see your child again."

"Jefferson, now is not a good time," Regina replied.

"For you," The mad hatter said, "For me, it's the perfect time. I'm here to collect. Where- Where is she? My daughter?"

"Emma was suppose to eat that apple. And she didn't. As far as I'm concerned, that makes our deal null and void."

"I did what you asked, and you're gonna screw me over again?" Jefferson said in a deep tone. 

It was threatening and Elle's body was anticipating his next move. 

Regina let out a cold laugh, "Look at it however, you want, Jefferson. The fact is, I'm done with you."

"But I'm not done. Done with you," Jefferson protested.