Side Story: Orpheus and Eurydice

Hey everyone,

This little bonus side story was a what if scenario I had while writing Finding Pan. It was near the end and a concept I considered adding, but for the sake of coherence and the story that was already being told, I decided to not include it in the official canon of Finding Pan. 

☆~~~~~~~~~~★~~~~~~~~~~

Orpheus entered the Underworld after charming Charon, the ferry guide of the dead with his lyre. His green eyes filled with determination. He felt his heart beat in his chest. 

Once he was off the boat, he entered the darkness of the Underworld. The vacant eyes of the dead peered over to him and Orpheus brought his lyre closer to his body. He couldn't afford to lose now. He had to find her

Just imagining her beautiful face smiling at him as she listened to him play. It was true love. His fingers strummed the delicate notes and a soft voice interrupted his song, "Orpheus..."

A smile danced across the man's face. He embraced his wife who wept tearfully at their reunion. 

"What are you doing here?" She asked him, "The only people here are those who are..."

She couldn't bring herself to utter those words. Worry flickered across Orpheus' face as he took his wife's trembling hands. He smiled and brought them to his chest where she felt his beating heart. The realization settled in and she gasped in shock, "You're really here?"

"We're going to leave together," Orpheus said, determined.

"Just let me go," Eurydice pleaded, "You can still have a chance and be happy. I'm already gone."

"No," Orpheus said, anger lacing his tone, "I refuse to let you go, love. Do you remember what I told you on our wedding day?"

Eurydice's eyes filled with love and tears, "I'll never let anyone separate us. Not even death."

"You shielded me from the snakes and sacrificed your life in the process," Orpheus told her, "Now I will be your sword to live again."

Eurydice's face filled with despair, "How do we even leave? What power do you and I have to overcome the forces of the Underworld? To challenge fate?"

Orpheus just held her hand, "Our love is true, Eurydice. It will overcome any obstacle. Come with me, it is not safe to talk of this out in the open."

Eurydice understood and let him lead her through the Underworld to a small house. Once they were out of the public eye, Orpheus divulged his plan to his wife. 

"Deep within the Underworld Palace, there is a legend about a tree said to bear fruit that can bring the dead back to life. It is called the ambrosia tree," Orpheus said seriously.

"The journey will be treacherous," Eurydice warned him, "That is challenging the gods."

"I know," Orpheus said, "That is why I insist you stay here where it's safe. I'll go retrieve the fruit for you and we'll leave this realm for good."

"I'm coming with you," Eurydice told her husband. 

Her hazel eyes shone with determination as she stopped her husband from opposing her with single hand, "You got yourself into this situation. Now I will correct your mistake."