Part 3.2

Kim wiped the dining table free from the mess of last night. At last, she stood up and wiped her brow in satisfaction. "Finally," she mumbled to herself.

"What did you say?" Lucinda cut in. She stopped on her way to bring the trash outside.

She turned to her and beamed. "Nothing. I'm happy that I'm done cleaning."

"Oh." Lucinda was already on the door. "If you're going to look for me, you know where I'll be." She winked. Then she was out of the house.

Kim walked over to the dishwasher. She looked at it in disgust. There were plates stacked on top of each other on the washer. "If no one cleans this, this is gonna smell."

Sighing, she cleaned the damp cloth. She hung it on the rack underneath the cupboard.

She sighed with anticipation. Then she looked around the house. It was silent and open, unlike the party last night. It's strange how fleeting time can be.

"I can finally finish the book," she said. Then she headed upstairs to the hallway of rooms. She stopped at the second to the right and opened it.

In the room, there were two beds: one that was disheveled and the other that was clean. On the messy bed were several books open. Kim peeked over and saw text in English and some runic scriptures. She couldn't decipher the symbols, but Emmalyn could. . .

"No. Stop it. She's gone now. Let's keep it that way," she mumbled, dejected. Kim peeled her eyes away from the books on Lucinda's bed, only for the dying plant on the floor to catch her eye.

She bent down and lifted one of its yellow leaves gently. But then it cracked and the loose leaf fell to the ground. So brittle. So sad.

Kim sighed again and stood up. She opened up her luggage beside her bed, the cleaned one. She took out her book and closed it. Then she walked out of her room. . .

. . .only to bump to Zane.

"Ah!" he exclaimed in surprise. He took a few steps back.

She chuckled. "Zane, it's me. You don't need to overreact."

He let out a deep breath. "Oh. Okay. But. . ." Zane looked around and then leaned in to whisper in her ear, ". . .have you seen my brother?"

"Garroth?" She shook her head. "I was wondering where he was too. He wasn't with us  during the fireworks."

"Yeah!" he agreed, his voice a bit too loud. "I swear, if he keeps disappearing like this—"

"We can find him," Kim replied. "Don't worry about it."

"But he's gone a—and—"

"Trust me."

"But"—he sighed—"fine. I hope he's okay."

She gave a small smile. "He is. He will be okay."

Later that day, Melissa and Rowan tended to the dishes. It was awkward

She scrubbed the grime off a plate with soap. She bit her lip in worry. "I'm worried about Aphmau and Aaron. I don't think it's a good idea to put them in the same room."

Rowan snorted, but he didn't say anything.

Melissa took a deep breath. "Toby said I've been getting calls from the press. About the fate of my company."

She placed the soap-filled plate on top of the stack and moved to the others as she continued, "What I'm saying is that I need to go back."